Oldest Wwi Veteran Dies Aged 113

bluemonday

Henry Allingham, the world's oldest man and one of the last surviving WWI servicemen, dies at the age of 113.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6958420.stm

Cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women was Henry Allingham's tongue in cheek recipe for his long life, which crossed over three centuries.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the remainder of his life he was tireless in attending commemorative events, including the 90th anniversary of the Somme, and regularly spoke to schoolchildren about his wartime experiences.

very worthwhile work, talking to the kids about the war, i hope they gave him the respect he deserved.

On his visit to the Somme in 2006 he was asked how he wanted to be remembered. "I don't" he said, "I want to be forgotten. Remember the others."

i think he didnt want to be remembered himself because he survived, he wanted our thoughts to go to his comrades, those who gave their lives to protect our freedom.

And the saddest thing of all is he were still alive, he would be expected to pay £64 for police checks etc before he went into schools to tell them about his experiences in order that he could provide some sort of "proof" he was not a paedophile.

That's not what he fought for.

God rest his soul

And the saddest thing of all is he were still alive, he would be expected to pay £64 for police checks etc before he went into schools to tell them about his experiences in order that he could provide some sort of "proof" he was not a paedophile.

What are you talking about? What do police checks have to do with anything and what did he fight for?

What are you talking about? What do police checks have to do with anything and what did he fight for?

Do you not follow the news? suggest googling "authors" "school" police checks" "Horowitz". If that doesn't answer your question come back to me. As to what he fought for., dont get started on that one - we will never agree.

Do you not follow the news? suggest googling "authors" "school" police checks" "Horowitz". If that doesn't answer your question come back to me. As to what he fought for., dont get started on that one - we will never agree.

Oh right, but this old fella who has just died passed away fought in WW1, not WW2. To simplify, why these people were fighting was because Britain had a treaty to protect Belgium neutrality, Germany moved into Belgium and Britain declared war. They didn't fight for 'our wonderful freedoms' or 'democracy' blaa blaa blaa. They either volunteered to get Germany out of France and do their 'duty' to King and country or worse were conscripted. I can only assume you are mixing up the peculiar and particular consequences of fending off Nazi Germany - where there was a need to prevent Nazi oppression and just a big mistake of a war that wasn't worth the death of one person.

Oh right, but this old fella who has just died passed away fought in WW1, not WW2. To simplify, why these people were fighting was because Britain had a treaty to protect Belgium neutrality, Germany moved into Belgium and Britain declared war.

Whatever, he earns my respect and I am grateful to him and his ilk,

Archived