[BBC News] Inmates' charity walk for toddler

Newsbot

Going for a walk is "freedom", if one is in prison surely one is not entitled to have this kind of privilege.

No, no. When these men are taken out of prison they will be kept under very heavy surveillance. They don't have the same level of liberty as we do. They will be kept on the leash! I don't really see your problem with them doing this work.

the work they did was better when they actually had work partys, they fixed fences and trimmed hedges on public footpaths etc, and i think painting stuff too like railings too??.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Years ago, a prison was a prison and time was time, now, a prison is more like a cheap hotel, the criminals live a better life than some people on the outside.

I do believe that when the time is served its a new start but in the meantime you serve your time, its not a bloody holiday camp.

They have done various crimes and have left VICTIMS and their families traumatised, from their point of view i dont think its such a good idea.

Years ago, a prison was a prison and time was time, now, a prison is more like a cheap hotel, the criminals live a better life than some people on the outside.

I do believe that when the time is served its a new start but in the meantime you serve your time, its not a bloody holiday camp.

They have done various crimes and have left VICTIMS and their families traumatised, from their point of view i dont think its such a good idea.

Terrible idea indeed that they should do something worthy whilst serving their sentence

I have said this many times. You can have a hotel like the f*cking Ritz but if you can't leave it it is a prison. What limited liberties people have outside of prison are stripped away inside a prison where everything you do is subject to authority. More like a plush concentration camp than a holiday camp - people leave a holiday camp.

From the point of view of victims, people do unfortunately want revenge a lot of the time. They are angry and cross about what is happening to me, but the punishments they think of are in terms of imprisoning people - because that is the way it is done in our society. But you can't make things worse inside the prison just to satisfy the vengefulness of the victim.

And I think you need to recognise that all those people in the prison are there for different things, some where there are no victims and some where there is no trauma. It isn't useful to paint the idea of them being bad people who have made people suffer a great deal. Some have.

I have said this many times. You can have a hotel like the f*cking Ritz but if you can't leave it it is a prison. What limited liberties people have outside of prison are stripped away inside a prison where everything you do is subject to authority. More like a plush concentration camp than a holiday camp - people leave a holiday camp.

From the point of view of victims, people do unfortunately want revenge a lot of the time. They are angry and cross about what is happening to me, but the punishments they think of are in terms of imprisoning people - because that is the way it is done in our society. But you can't make things worse inside the prison just to satisfy the vengefulness of the victim.

And I think you need to recognise that all those people in the prison are there for different things, some where there are no victims and some where there is no trauma. It isn't useful to paint the idea of them being bad people who have made people suffer a great deal. Some have.

LDV, please give me an example of a "victimless crime"?

Terrible idea indeed that they should do something worthy whilst serving their sentence

They should be doing "worthy" when their sentence is done not because its been suggested by a prison officer.... For brownie points!

Possession of drugs. Something that the majority of people in the prison are apparently in there for. And just to make clear, the reasons why it is considered a crime has nothing to do with the plight of those who produce it in far off countries.

They should be doing "worthy" when their sentence is done not because its been suggested by a prison officer.... For brownie points!

Well I'd rather they were out doing public works, repairing potholes etc rather than laying on their water beds, watching Sky TV before having a massage and going down to the jacuzzi and repairing for a five star gourmet meal (if some stories are to be believed!)

Why not? Why is it better that they lead meaningless, hollow, lives in an inhumane situation where they can actually have a connection with society that has value to society and more importantly makes the criminal form a connection? It is still part of their punishment, they are not free agents to do as they please. Yet I get where you are coming from as it appears all too easy to recognise that people would make use of such a task simply to get out of prison earlier. Ok, I understand that. However, in making contact with society and in having recognition from others outside of the prison for their good work, I think that has to have an effect on the person.

Possession of drugs. Something that the majority of people in the prison are apparently in there for. And just to make clear, the reasons why it is considered a crime has nothing to do with the plight of those who produce it in far off countries.

so u saying that from the moment the drugs are made/grown that there is no victims along the way to the person that is in possession :rolleyes:

Well I'd rather they were out doing public works, repairing potholes etc rather than laying on their water beds, watching Sky TV before having a massage and going down to the jacuzzi and repairing for a five star gourmet meal (if some stories are to be believed!)

Public works, ie repairing potholes, sweeping streets, painting railings, helping the elderly with gardening, yes on all counts, but while inside a definate "no" to raising money by doing a walk.

Public works, ie repairing potholes, sweeping streets, painting railings, helping the elderly with gardening, yes on all counts, but while inside a definate "no" to raising money by doing a walk.

if thay have raised cash for something worthy, that normaly woulden have been raised i can not see the problem,

yes there in jail for something, but it dont mean there all heartless basterds, and dont mean thay cant do something gd with there time

LDV, I do not believe a criminal should be locked up 24 hours a day, but at the same time i do not believe prison life should be an easy option, if the punishment is not harsh enough then crime rates would be ridiculous..... oh wait.... they are.

The younger generation is not scared of prison, the already criminals are not scared of prison, i wouldnt be scared of prison.

The prisons are all full, and the criminals are being let out early (even over here) so what do you suggest as a deterrent?

You dont believe in naming and shaming, i do, and i think it would work, but i think the people that are so busy being busy bodies are too busy looking after the wrong people's interests.

Archived