Tombstoning

John

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Police-issu...ng39.5474312.jp

Just read this and brought mixed feelings..

As a kid I jumped , leaped , climbed and summersaulted of anything, higher the better...

These days as a Coastguard I do see the danger involved especially with high cliff jumps. Its just a shame that Kieron keeps getting brought into it, as the Coasteering he runs is both fun and nothing like jumping 100 ft off Bradda head !!!

Its the harbour bit that makes me laugh.. i remember jumping off Peel groin and the back off the Harbour wall hundreds off times..

Then again some off the really high jumps would make me ermm go home with my tail between my legs these days as well..

Good old days !!!

Saw a kid jumping off Bradda head the other week while I was out kayaking, that bit with the little archway under it. Looked like fun. Or at least that's what I thought when I realised he'd survived. I probably would have done that in a heartbeat when I was younger, but am a bit more wary now. Would still do it - just wouldn't go first...

The salient point of the post of course, being:

These days as a Coastguard . . . .

In other words, you are now a man with high political aspirations and you are now rubbing shoulders with one or two Tynwald Members. No doubt you will be with them in the freemasons also before long, if not sooner ;)

Stuff this Corpy business . . . not too long now for the General Election eh!

The salient point of the post of course, being:
These days as a Coastguard . . . .

In other words, you are now a man with high political aspirations and you are now rubbing shoulders with one or two Tynwald Members. No doubt you will be with them in the freemasons also before long, if not sooner ;)

Stuff this Corpy business . . . not too long now for the General Election eh!

lol you are talking about Alex..

Actually I have no Keys aspirations, and as for Freemasons, they make some cracking remixes!! lol

I may be nice to ask why I joined the Coastguard before making assumptions Nipper, as rescuing/recovering people's dogs off Marine Drive does not get you votes.

Its good fun and does add some positive aspect to the community I live in.

:ph34r:

There is a disused quarry down south where I saw some kids throwing themselves off a cliff into the lake below.

Yes - in my youth quite a few people used to head down 'south' to go quarry jumping. The other favoured place was the sea-lions cove at Groudle, fondly known as the sh*t pit - people used to run from the top path, jump, clear the rocky outcrop and land in the pool below, quite a spectacle, albeit deadly. I didn't like the fact the water was green, you couldn't see beneath the surface and you didn't know what else was in there - so I stuck to jumping off the cliffs into the sea. In hindsight, the sea probably wasn't much of an improvement.

It's funny how things change with age - I used to partake in many a dangerous activity involving cliffs, trees, bikes etc - and now I crap myself at the site of my 5-year old walking along walls or hanging off climbing frames. God forbid what I'd do in a few years if he came home telling me he's been climbing cliffs and jumping into a quarry.

There is a disused quarry down south where I saw some kids throwing themselves off a cliff into the lake below.

Yes - in my youth quite a few people used to head down 'south' to go quarry jumping. The other favoured place was the sea-lions cove at Groudle, fondly known as the sh*t pit - people used to run from the top path, jump, clear the rocky outcrop and land in the pool below, quite a spectacle, albeit deadly. I didn't like the fact the water was green, you couldn't see beneath the surface and you didn't know what else was in there - so I stuck to jumping off the cliffs into the sea. In hindsight, the sea probably wasn't much of an improvement.

It's funny how things change with age - I used to partake in many a dangerous activity involving cliffs, trees, bikes etc - and now I crap myself at the site of my 5-year old walking along walls or hanging off climbing frames. God forbid what I'd do in a few years if he came home telling me he's been climbing cliffs and jumping into a quarry.

That sounds scary as fook. I've never tombstoned before, I can't stand heights, and i hate it when your in the sea and cant see whats below you.

So gotta agree Joey. a 15 ft drop from a tree branch was nothing at 14, all the ninja movies made me invunrable... arr back flips on roller skates!! jeebus i would cry now I am 36..

The Groudle jump was one I thankfully never did, heard about the old bed frames and concrete blocks etc etc.. so have to admit I chickened on that one...

Though I have done the usual club 18/30 cliff jumps in Greece, have to say was like hitting concrete !!

The police do I suppose have a duty to at least try and put you off as a youth doing crazy stuff, next it will be Freerunning over school roofs again once this rain stops..

Archived