Tombstoning

John

Ballakermeen are doing a week of organised activities for the children who's parents, like me, were too tight to let them go on the expensive trips away. They call it enrichment week or something.

My girl was taken to Cornaee yesterday, and jumped into the sea off the rocks. She had a great time and stuff, but I'm surprised at this given the warnings.

Ballakermeen are doing a week of organised activities for the children who's parents, like me, were too tight to let them go on the expensive trips away. They call it enrichment week or something.

My girl was taken to Cornaee yesterday, and jumped into the sea off the rocks. She had a great time and stuff, but I'm surprised at this given the warnings.

Coasteering though similiar (in the fact you jump into the sea off rocks) is ace fun.

Coasteering though similiar (in the fact you jump into the sea off rocks) is ace fun.

Whats the diff?

The routes of Coasteering are planned and checked etc, the actual sport invloves just as much swimming and climbing as jumping into the sea. Tombstoning is often much higher jumps with less H&S and saftey equipment.

Coasteering is organised and a somewhat toned down version I suppose..

The routes of Coasteering are planned and checked etc, the actual sport invloves just as much swimming and climbing as jumping into the sea. Tombstoning is often much higher jumps with less H&S and saftey equipment.

Ahh, fair enough. She did say she swam around to the rocks before she jumped off. I was pretty chuffed she did it with the school, given everyone's got the H&S fear nowadays.

I may be nice to ask why I joined the Coastguard before making assumptions Nipper, as rescuing/recovering people's dogs off Marine Drive does not get you votes.

:ph34r:

So, you are one of them that turns out for such jobs then, unlike the majority of the crew who look at the pager and think 'sod that, its only a dog, no need to bother with that one'

I may be nice to ask why I joined the Coastguard before making assumptions Nipper, as rescuing/recovering people's dogs off Marine Drive does not get you votes.

:ph34r:

So, you are one of them that turns out for such jobs then, unlike the majority of the crew who look at the pager and think 'sod that, its only a dog, no need to bother with that one'

Yep I turn up.

Ahh, fair enough. She did say she swam around to the rocks before she jumped off. I was pretty chuffed she did it with the school, given everyone's got the H&S fear nowadays.

I took my daughter abseiling last september at the Venture Center, she even did the 200 odd foot drop at Maughold, I was well proud, as there where adults that would not do it, she was 9 at the time !!!

8-)

Archived