[BBC News] Island tourism sees 19% increase

Newsbot

How many extra people would make 19%?

I'm guessing 19

Why guess when the figures are provided? 83,165 in the first quarter of last year to 98,982 this year.

Positive news, probably helped along by bad exchange rates. There's some big events coming up too, like the End2End which has attracted a lot of off-island interest this year.

This is a definite sign the UK is in recession....

I personally was drawn here by the tourist announcement on Classic FM that the Isle of Man "welcomes you with legs wide open".

Is this thread is sponsered by Ann Reynolds? sooo much positive news!

I was chatting to German Tourist the other day - you know Germany, lots of bikers come here every year from that odd part of the world.

He tried to book a package here from his little known of home town of Munich. Every travel agent he went to to try to book said 'zee Izle of Man does not exist', and that 'he was joking zem ' ... (there's a thought)

So, whats gone wrong there then?

Why can hundreds of hairy bikers get over here, but some bloke wants to book up in the old fashioned way and gets called a plant pot for wanting to go to some nonexistent Island?

Maybe our fantastic DTL need to look Right on a map, instead of Left all the time, and go to such places and Germany, France and Holland, instead of those god forsaken places where its sunny all the time and the streets are paved with Gold and Dollars. ( and cheap hamburgers)

Just out of interest,

how much money does a cruise ship with a handful of fat Americans bring to the Island for a day, compared to a plane or boat load of Europeans for a week or more, staying in local hotels and spending money with local businesses while they are here?

how much money does a cruise ship with a handful of fat Americans bring to the Island for a day, compared to a plane or boat load of Europeans for a week or more, staying in local hotels and spending money with local businesses while they are here?

The ship brings almost no money as food is included on the cruise.

I've just written to the Keys proposing the legalizing of Euthanasia to encourage tourists. Given the number of people taking one way tickets to Holland these days and the money spent by their families and friends in hotels and bars as well as the funeral expenses it's a winner. "Death Island" we could call it.

Methinks you are not as new to this forum as your login suggests, a good idea but, as abortion is frowned upon here I am sure euthanasia would be also. If it should ever get support I can think of a few to book in straight away.

Oh I am newly arrived here.

In my country involuntary euthanasia is often a problem, this is yet another avenue the Island could explore. Especially since in my short time here I have already had a few run-ins - the most recent was with a silver-haired creep from Costa Coffee, seemed to think he has some position of authority, naturally I had to horsewhip the fellow - anyone know the villain?

Is this thread is sponsered by Ann Reynolds? sooo much positive news!

I was chatting to German Tourist the other day - you know Germany, lots of bikers come here every year from that odd part of the world.

He tried to book a package here from his little known of home town of Munich. Every travel agent he went to to try to book said 'zee Izle of Man does not exist', and that 'he was joking zem ' ... (there's a thought)

So, whats gone wrong there then?

Why can hundreds of hairy bikers get over here, but some bloke wants to book up in the old fashioned way and gets called a plant pot for wanting to go to some nonexistent Island?

Maybe our fantastic DTL need to look Right on a map, instead of Left all the time, and go to such places and Germany, France and Holland, instead of those god forsaken places where its sunny all the time and the streets are paved with Gold and Dollars. ( and cheap hamburgers)

Just out of interest,

I quite agree. The DTL publishes almost no foreign language tourist information. It ignores large markets of loyal TT visitors in Germany, Italy, Belgium, Holland, and France. Nor do they publish a much needed dedicated TT information leaflet with practical information for people on travel and accommodation. In fact their general attitude to the TT is very poor. They congratulate themselves on its success without having done anything to promote it, assuming that people will come anyway. In a way it does promote itself, but they do nothing to help potential visitors with their travel plans.

And cruise ships are a total waste of time. Overweight, rich, elderly americans waddle off the tenders often with no idea where they are. They huff and puff about for about three or so hours, which is all the time they get before their ship has to leave, don't spend any money on food because the cruises are of course full-board, there's not enough time to go on the electric railway or steam train, or have a proper look around the museum (free anyway), so they might go on a horse tram, or wander down the street, buy about £10 worth of tat, and leave.

A normal visitor however, has to pay for their travel to and from the island, accommodation, food, transport on the island, and visiting attractions, and will buy souvenirs.

Okney & Shetland both seem to know how to play the 'rich fat american off tourist ship' card - full day trips split between several locations for lunch and mid morning/afternoon stops - I saw several small museums very grateful for the not quite daily coach load who buy souvenirs and enjoy food + coffee - they seemed designed to cope well with a single coach with enough seating in the cafe area etc (the avwerage age on these trips must be in theie late 60's judging from the several coach loads we encountered over the late summer period). However I suspect the Island is too urbanised to get away with this.

Archived