[BBC News] Man exposes himself to dog walker

Newsbot

a couple of things to ponder:

Escalation

when questioned by research groups the vast majority of flashers claimed that the ideal reaction from a target was arousal to the point where consentual intercourse took place. as this is very unlikely there is a reality that some of the more frustated flashers may begin to escalate their behavior.

Interesting, is what I thought - some consequence of sexual repression. However, I don't see the connection with rape that you mention. You indicate that they wish to arouse the female - well it COULD be possible that this would cause frustration, but there is nothing to say either way what the result would be. It takes something different to then assume a position of power and use violence against the woman - who would not be aroused.

Unintended harm

someone who has previously been raped or sexually assaulted could find a flashing incident to be particularly harrowing. also unitentional viewers are a problem especially those at an impressionable age whose own sexual maturation may be misdirected by such an incident.

I think the idea of it being harrowing has validity. It is still an irrational fear, i.e. there is nothing to indicate rape would occur. But it could be used as an argument in itself to claim that such behaviour is wrong. But I don't believe it is the commonly held reason for why it is considered to be wrongful.

As for affecting people's sexual maturation, I think that is rubbish (to be plain), sorry.

the first half of your reply to my post is off the mark. it has been know to criminal profilers that the percentage of real sexual offenders , rapists etc that start out as either a flasher, peeping tom or both is very high. that is not to say that the percentage of flashers etc that end up escalating is high, in fairness the vast majority of flashers etc may never escalate. but those that do make up a huge percentage of sexual offenders.

in fact, escalation is one of the only elements which profilers have found to be consistant, the numbers of sexual offenders who themselves have been assaulted/abused (at one time considered a key factor) has been inconsistant at best.

i can see how you would come to your conclusion because flashing does not seem like a power play, however when you consider the way in which flashers pick their victims, not by attractiveness, but because they are "accessible and vunerable", then you can see how this can potentially move onto fantasies of power, especially for men who have little success with women in a conventional way.

as for the second half of your response i am glad that you can see how harrowing it can be, and while i agree that the likelyhood of maladjusting a childs sexual matruation is very low, it should be taken into account.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not at all. A flaccid one would may qualify as such, or indeed say a lady masturbating in a public place (I might enjoy the sight, but reluctantly would recognise that it is innappropriate)

I would be assuming that the flasher is flashing a flaccid cock, but that may not always be the case. In which case, how would a flaccid cock be threatening?

Well you may be worldy wise in these things, but to an old lady with poor eyesight, flaccid, semi-errect or errect may not always be apparent.

Anyway, an old lady being faced with a cock in any of these states may not rationalise like that. (Oh, I'll just put my glasses on to see if this cock poses a threat)

Well you may be worldy wise in these things, but to an old lady with poor eyesight, flaccid, semi-errect or errect may not always be apparent.

Anyway, an old lady being faced with a cock in any of these states may not rationalise like that. (Oh, I'll just put my glasses on to see if this cock poses a threat)

Maybe not, but I just don't see this as an issue of threatening behaviour. Though I can't discount that some women might possibly think it is threatening.

And certainly in the legal context it is not criminalised for that reason.

the first half of your reply to my post is off the mark. it has been http://www.manxforums.com/forums/style_ima...-button.pngknow to criminal profilers that the percentage of real sexual offenders , rapists etc that start out as either a flasher, peeping tom or both is very high. that is not to say that the percentage of flashers etc that end up escalating is high, in fairness the vast majority of flashers etc may never escalate. but those that do make up a huge percentage of sexual offenders.

How do you know this? I don't doubt what you say, but this does not demonstrate a direct link between flashing and sexual violence. In other words, in does not indicate that it is likely that rape will immediately follow a flashing incident. It may be that the flasher goes on to rape in future, but this is a separate matter and the criminality of the flashing has nothing to do with this, unless you believe that punishing the flasher will deter him raping. I find that unlikely.

When you say sexual offenders, I assume you mean sexual violence?

...and while i agree that the likelyhood of maladjusting a childs sexual matruation is very low, it should be taken into account.

Why? I don't see how this maladjustment would occur. Maybe I don't understand.

Maybe not, but I just don't see this as an issue of threatening behaviour. Though I can't discount that some women might possibly think it is threatening.

You can't discount the possibility that a women faced with some guy getting his dick out in front of them whilst they out are alone walking their dog, might posssibly find it threatening.?

I really don't think you live in the real world.

You can't discount the possibility that a women faced with some guy getting his dick out in front of them whilst they out are alone walking their dog, might posssibly find it threatening.?

I really don't think you live in the real world.

No, I can't. Not if its a brief flash and the cock is flaccid. I am not condoning it either though.

And certainly in the legal context it is not criminalised for that reason.

But you are not a 60 year old lady are you!

You cant possibly say what is or is not threatening to another, we all have different thresholds of what we think is acceptable behaviour.

One person may laugh it off but another may well have a panic attack, asthma attack or heart attack.

It might seem like a bit of fun, say on a on a pissed up night out, but it really isnt acceptable to try to intimidate and scare another.

It might seem like a bit of fun, say on a on a pissed up night out, but it really isnt acceptable to try to intimidate and scare another.

Oh yeah, it is quite impossible to predict the many possible emotional responses to anything. This may well be perceived as threatening or intimidating by SOME people.

You cant possibly say what is or is not threatening to another

Are we talking size here?

like... a 5 inch wiggling at you is ok but a swinging 12 incher is just downright scary?

Oh yeah, it is quite impossible to predict the many possible emotional responses to anything. This may well be perceived as threatening or intimidating by SOME people.

Yes and SOME people might welcome it.

Sorry, but most people would take a negative view of a stranger showing them their dick,be it flaccid or errect.

"SOME"? Maybe. I'm quite use to seeing little pricks everywhere i go! But a guy who decides to get his dick out (limp or erect is irrelevant) is just a sad person!

Look at all the interesting things the Island has to offer....And yet he finds getting his winkie out in public more satisfying.

Yes and SOME people might welcome it.

Sorry, but most people would take a negative view of a stranger showing them their dick,be it flaccid or errect.

do you think it's easier or harder (fnar fnar) to flash when flaccid compared to erect?

"SOME"? Maybe. I'm quite use to seeing little pricks everywhere i go! But a guy who decides to get his dick out (limp or erect is irrelevant) is just a sad person!

Look at all the interesting things the Island has to offer....And yet he finds getting his winkie out in public more satisfying.

winkie!

what a great name much better than dick...

I like the word wang or schlong

do you think the term used affects the opinion of the reported event after the effect?

Headlines such as "Man flashed Dick at Woman" seems so much worse than "Man spotted with his winkie out in local park"

You cant possibly say what is or is not threatening to another

Are we talking size here?

like... a 5 inch wiggling at you is ok but a swinging 12 incher is just downright scary?

:mellow::o:blink::blush:

Like I said, I don't think the flashing thing is a nice thing at all.

Archived