[BBC News] Man exposes himself to dog walker

Newsbot

I am rather trying to discuss how such a social norm has been developed. How much of it comprises of sexual repression in respect of simply dislike of nudity.

This social norm has not "developed". It's innate. None of it comprises of sexual repression or dislike of nudity.

An old lady out on a coastal walk is not at fault if she finds a chap walking towards her suddenly whipping out his todger a bit dtsconcerting.

What part of that do you not understand?

Innate? Really?! I would disagree with that completely.

What part of my comments do you not understand when I say that I know that many or most will find it disconcerting or perturbing.

If it is not about dislike of nudity or sexual repression, what do you personally think it is about?

Innate?

You're really starting to annoy me now.

The offfice where I work is warm enough that I could sit their naked and quite happily fulfill my role.

Social mores says I should perform my role clothed, So I do, and don't have a problem with that.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is a big difference between nudity and exposure.

lets take the voice of reason's example of an old lady, if said lady saw on her coastal walk a naked man lying on the ground, she may well think that the man was in need of help, perhaps having been robbed etc. if a naked man walks along the path she might be worried or again might wonder if the man needed assistance or was the victim of a prank or something,

but if a fully or partially dressed man suddenly exposes himself to her or a naked man/ in hiding jumps out at her as she passes then she has every right to be scared and nothing about this fear is an irrational fear of nakedness.

think about this in the context of foul language, to be sat on the bus or be walking throught the street and inadvertently here someone else conversation which includes swearing is very different to having strangers shouting and swearing at you as you go about your business. (this has happened to me a couple of times)

Social mores says I should perform my role clothed, So I do, and don't have a problem with that.

I think you'll find that it is the rules of the capitalist system, ie your boss, that are keeping your clothes on.

I think you'll find that it is the rules of the capitalist system, ie your boss, that are keeping your clothes on.

Well it's actually respect for my co-workers.

respect for your co-workers? sounds novel i might give it a try.

there is a big difference between nudity and exposure.

lets take the voice of reason's example of an old lady, if said lady saw on her coastal walk a naked man lying on the ground, she may well think that the man was in need of help, perhaps having been robbed etc. if a naked man walks along the path she might be worried or again might wonder if the man needed assistance or was the victim of a prank or something,

but if a fully or partially dressed man suddenly exposes himself to her or a naked man/ in hiding jumps out at her as she passes then she has every right to be scared and nothing about this fear is an irrational fear of nakedness.

think about this in the context of foul language, to be sat on the bus or be walking throught the street and inadvertently here someone else conversation which includes swearing is very different to having strangers shouting and swearing at you as you go about your business. (this has happened to me a couple of times)

If someone jumps out then yes, she may be very scared.

Here I recognise what you are pointing out about to whom the behaviour is directed. However, I don't believe the comparison with swearing is a good one. Aside from the use of swear words which are not directed to offend or insult, there is the knowledge that such use of language is offending or insulting someone. This is not the case with simple nudity (or rather should not be). Simple nudity should not be something to cause offense. But do you actually mean that if nudity is directed at a specific person that is where a social norm is transgressed?

Well make your mind up, is it innate?

They might respect you more if you did bear all.

Well, how can I put this?

I would hate for them to feel, shall we say, somewhat lacking in the trouser department.

Well, how can I put this?

I would hate for them to feel, shall we say, somewhat lacking in the trouser department.

how considerate.

Archived