[BBC News] Chief's tribute to 'Manx missile'

Molly Moon

So why did BBC1 10 O'clock news refer to his Paris stage victory as Cavendish being an 'English Man'?

Outraged. The BBC have just called our Manx local hero English... the Welsh, Scottish, Irish wouldn't let them get away with it - why should we?

Email BBC Complaints - the more complaints the better. I am very surprised that the BBC could make such a major faux-pas. The French press know the difference. They refer to him as either British or Manx.

Shocking.

Now someone's going to reply saying he's from Blackburn or somewhere and I'll be the silly of the forum.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oaf.

Yeah... that's forum-speak for "welcome to the forums, i'm looking forward to engaging in many illuminating discussions with you in the future"

Seriously, just ignore him.

Thanks Vulgarian - but as a first response - the keyboarder is not a very encouraging start. Oh well...

Oh my God, national slight - a "major faux-pas" complain,complain,complain.

Or you could join those other people wetting their knickers on the other thread, about Mr C's victories.

Good on him, but I think a sense of proportion is called for here.

And so our cultural identity croaks and dies.....

Or you could join those other people wetting their knickers on the other thread, about Mr C's victories.

Yawn.

You miss my point - it's a Manx victory - not an English victory. Let us have our moment.

You miss my point - it's a Manx victory - not an English victory. Let us have our moment.

Is everyone English here?

I don't disagree but let's get it in perspective. The man has done well but in a relatively minor sport. Yes let's be proud of his Manxness but to claim as some are doing this makes us now a world super power is a bit silly.

The BBC have been consistently referring to him as british, which he is. I saw the coverage on the 10 o'clock news and didn't hear them call him english, But I wasn't listening too closely so stand to be corrected.

They have called him British during previous news slots - but on tonight's news as he stormed into Paris - he was the 'English Man.' Imagine if a Scottish/Welsh cyclist was called this. There'd be a stampede of complaints as their should on this occassion. Where is the Manx passion?

Archived