[BBC News] Chief's tribute to 'Manx missile'

Molly Moon

You miss my point - it's a Manx victory - not an English victory. Let us have our moment.

The chances are you haven't contributed in any way to his performances, and he can be called whatever he wants - if it irks him than Cav can correct them. Shoddy reporting though.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where is the Manx passion?

she's here with me.

could it just have been a one-time mistake?

i must admit though when i started to take the lads away to the UK to compete people would always ask us where we were from, and when we would bump into them the next time, they would always say "hey you are those guys from the isle of wight arent you?

it did get under my skin that different coaches and promoters from all over the UK got it wrong so consistantly, but eventually we won them over.

You miss my point - it's a Manx victory - not an English victory. Let us have our moment.

Not like we have too many of them. :(

People are either stupid or ignorant, when i lived in Enland and people asked where i was from and i said Isle of Man and that people here were Manx they just didnt get it, they thought i was from Manchester.

The BBC have been consistently referring to him as british, which he is. I saw the coverage on the 10 o'clock news and didn't hear them call him english, But I wasn't listening too closely so stand to be corrected.

They have called him British during previous news slots - but on tonight's news as he stormed into Paris - he was the 'English Man.' Imagine if a Scottish/Welsh cyclist was called this. There'd be a stampede of complaints as their should on this occassion. Where is the Manx passion?

I'm with you on this Molly, even though no-one else seems to be ('cos they must all be English).

I don't disagree but let's get it in perspective. The man has done well but in a relatively minor sport. Yes let's be proud of his Manxness but to claim as some are doing this makes us now a world super power is a bit silly.

Hardly a minor sport. It draws more live spectators than any other sporting event.

And the worldwide TV audience for the final stage is comparable with the Wimbledon Men's Singles Final, Final day of the US Open or Masters, or the final of the NBA.

Link

As for calling Cav English in news - I guess that was a mistake. BBC 5Live have been calling him Manx throughout, as has the BBC website, ITV have been scrupulous in calling him Manx. Shame it was on a high profile newscast but not a hanging offence.

Not like we have too many of them. :(

People are either stupid or ignorant, when i lived in Enland and people asked where i was from and i said Isle of Man and that people here were Manx they just didnt get it, they thought i was from Manchester.

Mancs / Manx.....easy mistake to make.

We forget that we are a small island of not much consequence to people away from these shores. Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, those stupid Enlish are all ignoramuses.

Oh my God, national slight - a "major faux-pas" complain,complain,complain.

Or you could join those other people wetting their knickers on the other thread, about Mr C's victories.

Good on him, but I think a sense of proportion is called for here.

And so our cultural identity croaks and dies.....

If they thought he is from England (not the Isle of Man), then big deal. Not bothered.

But did they know he is from the Isle of Man? If so, then it might be worth pointing out. Though I would only do so because the people are clearly uneducated about it, and it might be worth enlightening about what it is called to come from the Isle of Man. However, I wouldn't care less if they thought Cavendish was Swiss. It really isn't something to be bothered about.

Oh my God, national slight - a "major faux-pas" complain,complain,complain.

Or you could join those other people wetting their knickers on the other thread, about Mr C's victories.

Good on him, but I think a sense of proportion is called for here.

And so our cultural identity croaks and dies.....

If they thought he is from England (not the Isle of Man), then big deal. Not bothered.

But did they know he is from the Isle of Man? If so, then it might be worth pointing out. Though I would only do so because the people are clearly uneducated about it, and it might be worth enlightening about what it is called to come from the Isle of Man. However, I wouldn't care less if they thought Cavendish was Swiss. It really isn't something to be bothered about.

Ah, Miss Patriotic crawls out from under her stone :rolleyes:

Archived