[BBC News] Chief's tribute to 'Manx missile'

Molly Moon

Ok, maybe I was just trying to say that Golf is a bit more stylish...

That's just a matter of perspective isn't it? You seem to have something against cycling clothes.

and betting has a lot to do with popularity - the more popular a sport, the bigger the betting market. The fewer people follow or care about a sport, the less money you will see for it on the markets.

Right, but how many people watch horses for the sport?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't disagree but let's get it in perspective. The man has done well but in a relatively minor sport. Yes let's be proud of his Manxness but to claim as some are doing this makes us now a world super power is a bit silly.

The Tour de France is not a relatively minor sport.

The Tour de France isn't a sport, it's an event.

There's three grand tours, the TDF is the most popular sure but it's not the only well known big event.

Th TdF, Giro d'Italia and? Tour of Spain, Paris-Roubaix, Milk Race (I may be showing my age a bit there :D )

I did like some of the stuff on the BBC Live Text pages, thinking up new colour jerseys to wear like the yellow and green - the "black & blue" jersey for most crashes, the "grey cardigan" for oldest rider, making the unoffical "lanterne rouge" for the rider who is at the back wear a red bike, red clothing, with a red light on a bendy pole and a wicker basket :D

I wouldn't like to be doing the speeds that they get to on the downhill from the category 1 climbs - scary!

Ok, maybe I was just trying to say that Golf is a bit more stylish...

That's just a matter of perspective isn't it? You seem to have something against cycling clothes.

and betting has a lot to do with popularity - the more popular a sport, the bigger the betting market. The fewer people follow or care about a sport, the less money you will see for it on the markets.

Right, but how many people watch horses for the sport?

Me? Finding anything wrong with men wearing tight lycra pants? Well, never... :rolleyes:

I agree you have a point with horses being more betting than sport, but if you go to Ascot or any other track, then it's also a full day out for many people - loads of posh and wannabe posh punters around, sipping champagne and having a nice day at the races - it's a social event...

Slinky, I stand corrected.

Th TdF, Giro d'Italia and? Tour of Spain, Paris-Roubaix, Milk Race (I may be showing my age a bit there :D )

Spain is the third grand tour.

I wouldn't like to be doing the speeds that they get to on the downhill from the category 1 climbs - scary!

See the guy who broke his cheekbone? ow!

Me? Finding anything wrong with men wearing tight lycra pants? Well, never... :rolleyes:

I agree you have a point with horses being more betting than sport, but if you go to Ascot or any other track, then it's also a full day out for many people - loads of posh and wannabe posh punters around, sipping champagne and having a nice day at the races - it's a social event...

Why the big hang up about tight pants? It's sportswear, it's utility, it's the best thing for the job.

As for watching the in person, I'm guessing more people turned out for the TDF than ascot eh?

Oh my God, national slight - a "major faux-pas" complain,complain,complain.

Or you could join those other people wetting their knickers on the other thread, about Mr C's victories.

Good on him, but I think a sense of proportion is called for here.

And so our cultural identity croaks and dies.....

You miss my point - it's a Manx victory - not an English victory. Let us have our moment.

Is everyone English here?

Nope I am Manx !!! and damn proud of it.

The BBC have been consistently referring to him as british, which he is. I saw the coverage on the 10 o'clock news and didn't hear them call him english, But I wasn't listening too closely so stand to be corrected.

They have called him British during previous news slots - but on tonight's news as he stormed into Paris - he was the 'English Man.' Imagine if a Scottish/Welsh cyclist was called this. There'd be a stampede of complaints as their should on this occassion. Where is the Manx passion?

I'm with you on this Molly, even though no-one else seems to be ('cos they must all be English).

I am with her as well, although I don't think the Newsreader should be sacked just yet !! lol

I don't disagree but let's get it in perspective. The man has done well but in a relatively minor sport. Yes let's be proud of his Manxness but to claim as some are doing this makes us now a world super power is a bit silly.

Hardly a minor sport. It draws more live spectators than any other sporting event.

And the worldwide TV audience for the final stage is comparable with the Wimbledon Men's Singles Final, Final day of the US Open or Masters, or the final of the NBA.

Link

As for calling Cav English in news - I guess that was a mistake. BBC 5Live have been calling him Manx throughout, as has the BBC website, ITV have been scrupulous in calling him Manx. Shame it was on a high profile newscast but not a hanging offence.

What Declan said.

For all us manx ....

LAND of our birth,

gem of God's earth,

O Island so strong and so fair;

Built firm as Barool,

Thy throne of Home Rule

Makes us free as thy sweet mountain air

Ye sons of the soil,

In hardship and toil,

That plough both the land and the sea,

Take heart while you can,

And think of the Man

Who toiled by the Lake Galilee.

When fierce tempests smote

That frail little boat,

They ceased at His gentle command;

Despite all our fear,

The Saviour is near

To safeguard our dear Fatherland.

Let storm-winds rejoice,

' And lift up their voice,

No danger our homes can befall;

Our green hills and rocks

Encircle our flocks,

And keep out the sea like a wall.

Our Island, thus blest, No foe can molest;

Our grain and our fish shall increase;

From battle and sword Protecteth the Lord,

And crowneth our nation with peace.

Then let us rejoice

With heart, soul, and voice,

Ad in the Lord's promise confide;

That each single hour

We trust in His power

No evil our souls can betide.

You can sit down now...

:rolleyes:

I almost fell into the trap of buying a bicycle on Saturday.

Fortunately being a sunny Saturday afternoon with Cavendish boosting local interest the cycle shop on Bucks Road was of course closed.

I won't be trying to buy again

Thanks for keeping us informed.

[quote

For all us manx ....

LAND of our birth,

gem of God's earth,

Built firm as Barool,

Thy throne of Home Rule

Ye sons of the soil,

In hardship and toil,

And think of the Man

That frail little boat,

Despite all our fear,

The Saviour is near

Let storm-winds rejoice,

Encircle our flocks,

Then let us rejoice

That each single hour

We trust in His power

You can sit down now...

You've missed out the second verse!!!

Because writing on an anonymous internet forum is going WAAAAAAAAYYYYY over the top in praising him. Are you actually stupid or just doing a fantastic impression of it?

I think he's probably referring to the sentiment expressed rather than the medium in which its expressed, i.e. "Oh Gawd! What a dreamboat. Int he the just the greatest manxmo ever?".

Not convinced by the "competitive cycling is massive!" argument, especially not with the comparison with tennis and golf, which I'd say are closer to being niche sports themselves than they are mainstream! Sure people get into the big competitions when there's some national stake in it, as is the case with Wimbledon, but surely relatively few actually care about the sport outside of the occasional big event.

So it is with the Tour de France. Cycling fans will follow the whole thing and the various other cycling competitions which the rest of us are oblivious to, but I'm willing to bet that the majority will have a quick peek if there's someone from their own country doing particularly well, then forget about it soon after. It's the same with the Olympics: it's a massive event that everyone has a stake in, and for a while everyone will be buzzing with excitement about it, but deep down the average person doesn't actually gives a lasting toss about the triple jump and discus.

For all us manx ....

LAND of our birth,

gem of God's earth,

Built firm as Barool,

Thy throne of Home Rule

Ye sons of the soil,

In hardship and toil,

And think of the Man

That frail little boat,

Despite all our fear,

The Saviour is near

Let storm-winds rejoice,

Encircle our flocks,

Then let us rejoice

That each single hour

We trust in His power

You can sit down now...

Oh yeah, a song that Mark Cavendish does not know the words to. Can't say I do either, I don't even like it. I do think they should re-invent these national anthems to make them more hip and funky.

LDV, do you follow any sport?

Not convinced by the "competitive cycling is massive!" argument, especially not with the comparison with tennis and golf, which I'd say are closer to being niche sports themselves than they are mainstream! Sure people get into the big competitions when there's some national stake in it, as is the case with Wimbledon, but surely relatively few actually care about the sport outside of the occasional big event.

I'm not saying it's massive, I just wouldn't say it's a minor sport either. It's big in mainland europe, and getting bigger here with most large events like the recent crit series televised to reasonable audiences.

So it is with the Tour de France. Cycling fans will follow the whole thing and the various other cycling competitions which the rest of us are oblivious to, but I'm willing to bet that the majority will have a quick peek if there's someone from their own country doing particularly well, then forget about it soon after. It's the same with the Olympics: it's a massive event that everyone has a stake in, and for a while everyone will be buzzing with excitement about it, but deep down the average person doesn't actually gives a lasting toss about the triple jump and discus.

Agree with you there, but I think Cav and Wiggo have raised the profile in the UK.

Archived