[BBC News] Chief's tribute to 'Manx missile'

Molly Moon

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not particularly bothered myself, but this is a bit of digression, why do you ask?

Because you frequently post in these threads and declare things pointless, I'm trying to ascertain what you think has a point.

So what are you a fan of, books, movies, what?

Not particularly bothered myself, but this is a bit of digression, why do you ask?

Because you frequently post in these threads and declare things pointless, I'm trying to ascertain what you think has a point.

So what are you a fan of, books, movies, what?

I don't think being interested sport is pointless per se. Though I think the extreme extents to which people support teams in sport and get extremely passionate about a football team, for example, is ridiculous. But here I am just remarking on someone getting their knickers in a twist about Cavendish being called English

I don't think being interested sport is pointless per se. Though I think the extreme extents to which people support teams in sport and get extremely passionate about a football team, for example, is ridiculous. But here I am just remarking on someone getting their knickers in a twist about Cavendish being called English

Could you answer the question?

LDV, do you follow any sport?

No,

if thats true, it would actually explain a lot.

also has the OP's question been answered? is he manx?

For all us manx ....

LAND of our birth,

gem of God's earth,

O Island so strong and so fair;

Built firm as Barool,

Thy throne of Home Rule

Makes us free as thy sweet mountain air

Ye sons of the soil,

In hardship and toil,

That plough both the land and the sea,

Take heart while you can,

And think of the Man

Who toiled by the Lake Galilee.

When fierce tempests smote

That frail little boat,

They ceased at His gentle command;

Despite all our fear,

The Saviour is near

To safeguard our dear Fatherland.

Let storm-winds rejoice,

' And lift up their voice,

No danger our homes can befall;

Our green hills and rocks

Encircle our flocks,

And keep out the sea like a wall.

Our Island, thus blest, No foe can molest;

Our grain and our fish shall increase;

From battle and sword Protecteth the Lord,

And crowneth our nation with peace.

Then let us rejoice

With heart, soul, and voice,

Ad in the Lord's promise confide;

That each single hour

We trust in His power

No evil our souls can betide.

You can sit down now...

:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, a song that Mark Cavendish does not know the words to. Can't say I do either, I don't even like it. I do think they should re-invent these national anthems to make them more hip and funky.

May Mannanin Mac Lir himself smite you with 3 thunderbolts.!!!!

Slim all he like to discuss is anarchy, communisim and other "alternative" ways for society to function. In the process slagging down anything that does not agree with his "there are no laws" ideology...

Could you answer the question?

I've already given you what you really want - whether I follow sport and am interested in watching it. But my interest are more academic, I prefer to read into things that take my interest at a particular time and then look into something else when I get bored of them. But, to reiterate, I see nothing wrong in people watching sports and supporting a particular side - that is part of the point of it. Though like I said, the original poster's comments seem more based around the issue of not reporting that he is Manx. I suppose I need to ask whether he is in the race to represent himself or his nation? If the latter, then a big mistake has been made. If the former - big deal.

Agree with you there, but I think Cav and Wiggo have raised the profile in the UK.

I'm a little more skeptical. The news media has raised their profile because of the British factor and the fact they've done well at something. I'd be willing to bet that what that something actually is, in this case the Tour de France, doesn't actually matter that much to most people. Most people will know the rough details, but not be that bothered about why this is an important event, or what makes it a challenge. In other words, the enthusiasm is mainly of the flavour of the month variety, with enthusiasm being reserved for the participants more than the actual event. A raised profile for a couple of sports people, doesn't necessarily translate into a raised profile for the sport itself and a lasting enthusiasm.

Competitive cycling has garnered some element of mainstream appreciation, in that its biggest events do attract attention, but I'd say it's still and will probably remain very much a niche sport in that it doesn't seem to generate a broad and lasting following. Cavendish is Ellen MacArthur: most people will all whoop and cheer when she wins, and she has become a recognisable 'personality', but the sailing will continue to be a niche sport that, apart from sailors and a clutch of hardcore fans, most find dull and inexplicable.

It seems ironic that in a thread complaing that a Manxman was referred to as being anglish the Manx National Anthem is quoted which is obvioulsy in english! I do realise it was later translated into Manx just like the Irish National Anthem was translated from English, but at least they generally sing the anthem in Irish Gaelic

Could you really see the Welsh, Italians, Germans, French etc in fact virtually any country with its own language having a national anthem in anything but its own Language? Even those where there are numerous languages or Engklish was the predominent language of the majority or ruling classes have it only partly in English. e.g South Africa and New Zealand

I have to admit that I have never understood why there has been no real pressure to move to the manx version even by many proud manx people that I know.

For all us manx ....

LAND of our birth,

gem of God's earth,

O Island so strong and so fair;

Built firm as Barool,

Thy throne of Home Rule

Makes us free as thy sweet mountain air

Ye sons of the soil,

In hardship and toil,

That plough both the land and the sea,

Take heart while you can,

And think of the Man

Who toiled by the Lake Galilee.

When fierce tempests smote

That frail little boat,

They ceased at His gentle command;

Despite all our fear,

The Saviour is near

To safeguard our dear Fatherland.

Let storm-winds rejoice,

' And lift up their voice,

No danger our homes can befall;

Our green hills and rocks

Encircle our flocks,

And keep out the sea like a wall.

Our Island, thus blest, No foe can molest;

Our grain and our fish shall increase;

From battle and sword Protecteth the Lord,

And crowneth our nation with peace.

Then let us rejoice

With heart, soul, and voice,

Ad in the Lord's promise confide;

That each single hour

We trust in His power

No evil our souls can betide.

You can sit down now...

I've already given you what you really want - whether I follow sport and am interested in watching it.

I'd rather you didn't try to second guess where I'm going to take the conversation, and just answer the question. Would that be possible do you think?

I'm a little more skeptical. The news media has raised their profile because of the British factor and the fact they've done well at something. I'd be willing to bet that what that something actually is, in this case the Tour de France, doesn't actually matter that much to most people. Most people will know the rough details, but not be that bothered about why this is an important event, or what makes it a challenge. In other words, the enthusiasm is mainly of the flavour of the month variety, with enthusiasm being reserved for the participants more than the actual event. A raised profile for a couple of sports people, doesn't necessarily translate into a raised profile for the sport itself and a lasting enthusiasm.

We'll have to wait and see I suppose. I've seen evidence of it raising the profile of cycling generally, the group I ride with has swelled a lot recently, I'm sure part of that is due to the profile of the likes of the TDF and Cav's achievements being noticed by the locals.

Competitive cycling has garnered some element of mainstream appreciation, in that its biggest events do attract attention, but I'd say it's still and will probably remain very much a niche sport in that it doesn't seem to generate a broad and lasting following. Cavendish is Ellen MacArthur: most people will all whoop and cheer when she wins, and she has become a recognisable 'personality', but the sailing will continue to be a niche sport that, apart from sailors and a clutch of hardcore fans, most find dull and inexplicable.

Perhaps, but you don't see sailing televised at all outside the Olympics, and you do see cycling events carried. If there wasn't an audience, ITV, Eurosport and Sky wouldn't bother. Like I said, I don't think it's a huge mainstream sport, but it's not a tiny niche either, it's somewhere in between.

Archived