Compensation Payouts For Soldiers

La_Dolce_Vita

Isn't it just their equivalent of a personal accident insurance policy? Lose a finger get £1,000, lose a hand get £5,000, lose an arm get £25,000 etc. Lots of work places have them, and I can't imagine a commercial insurer offering a policy to the services, so the govt step in and effectively underwrite it.

Yes it is, dispite the folklore the forces still work to the spirit of health and saftey including negligence/risk assesment etc. These media hounds are not taking into consideration the claims that get thrown out because there was a breach of H+S or the individual did not stick to laid down procedure.

Another silly thread in my eyes.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ LDV - Why have you brought up the history of WW1, curious?

I brought it up to illustrate the long history of Manx people serving in the British Forces. Some Manx people feel detached from that.

Isn't it just their equivalent of a personal accident insurance policy? Lose a finger get £1,000, lose a hand get £5,000, lose an arm get £25,000 etc. Lots of work places have them, and I can't imagine a commercial insurer offering a policy to the services, so the govt step in and effectively underwrite it.

You're quite right, these soldiers do have a high exposure. But if this is really an equivalent to insurance, then it is usually the case that insurers a not willing to make payouts unless steps have been taken reduce risk. This doesn't really fit in with ethos of the military.

@ LDV - Why have you brought up the history of WW1, curious?

I brought it up to illustrate the long history of Manx people serving in the British Forces. Some Manx people feel detached from that.

Ok, wasn't having a 'go', well I think it is something that people ought to be aware of. However, I don't a horrible idea to convey that the Island's contribution should be thought of in a positive way, as in the sense of applauding these men's patriotism and willingness to fight in this conflict. That's why I take issue with the use of wonderful.

I put the whole quote in so it was in context, it didn't reflect my views other than to illustrate the history of the Manx people's role the forces.

You're quite right, these soldiers do have a high exposure. But if this is really an equivalent to insurance, then it is usually the case that insurers a not willing to make payouts unless steps have been taken reduce risk. This doesn't really fit in with ethos of the military.

I assume you've never been in the military so are not speaking from experience. As immortalpuppet points out, lots of claims get thrown out because of breaches of H&S procedures etc.

I assume you've never been in the military so are not speaking from experience. As immortalpuppet points out, lots of claims get thrown out because of breaches of H&S procedures etc.

You're quite right, I haven't been in the military, I was taking my assessment from the Veterans-UK website.

Other services that also carry risk such as police, fireman etc also have similar compensation to help cope with injuries sustained carrying out hazardous duties. Like the nods firemen don't get to choose which fire to fight!

Firemen are a different matter as far as i'm concerned because they're fulfilling a necessary and useful role.

The implication is total tosh, imho of course. The MOD also fulfil a necessary and useful role. Where do you think SAR's come from? And who do you think get's called on when the civilian services start getting overwhelmed - Ghostbusters or something?

OH, and they also go and fight your nasty little wars for you as well.

Other services that also carry risk such as police, fireman etc also have similar compensation to help cope with injuries sustained carrying out hazardous duties. Like the nods firemen don't get to choose which fire to fight!

Firemen are a different matter as far as i'm concerned because they're fulfilling a necessary and useful role.

The implication is total tosh, imho of course. The MOD also fulfil a necessary and useful role. Where do you think SAR's come from? And who do you think get's called on when the civilian services start getting overwhelmed - Ghostbusters or something?

and dont forget that when the firemen strike that it is the army that steps in and fights them fires,

Useful, not necessary.

Why the fuck does everyone keep responding every time this idiotic troll with his twisted ideology comes up with yet another thread with no other intention than to try and be controversial?

He obviously has no idea what he is talking about and virtually no real world experience of anything he comments on.

STOP FEEDING THE TROLL!

Why the fuck does everyone keep responding every time this idiotic troll with his twisted ideology comes up with yet another thread with no other intention than to try and be controversial?

He obviously has no idea what he is talking about and virtually no real world experience of anything he comments on.

STOP FEEDING THE TROLL!

Opinion and erronoeous assumptions. Anyway, what's wrong with controversy.

If I wanted to just troll just for the sake of winding people up I could find it easier to do it and would have also made myself more anonymous. Besides, it does fit in with my twisted (haha) ideology, which obviously might rub against your narrow-minded vision of the world. Big deal.

I can assure you that my view of the world is anything but narrow minded. As one who has seen the military from both the outside and the inside I have more experience in this field than you, and can therefore assure you that your opinions are 1) Bullshit 2) Misinformed bullshit.

Shit, I'm feeding the troll!

I can assure you that my view of the world is anything but narrow minded. As one who has seen the military from both the outside and the inside I have more experience in this field than you, and can therefore assure you that your opinions are 1) Bullshit 2) Misinformed bullshit.

Shit, I'm feeding the troll!

No, you can't assure me like that. If you have inside knowledge of the military that is relevant, it would be interesting to know how you see the compensation scheme in comparison to long-term disbaility allowance in the form of War Pensions. Why am I misinformed? I took my info. from the newspaper article and then looked into the scheme on the Veterans Pension website.

LDV your inability to understand why injured military members should recieve compensation is just the tip of a much bigger political opinion iceberg.

it would be impossible for anyone to give you an insight into why there should be a compensation scheme without first dealing with other issues that you have shown in your personal opinions.

so here is a picture of a hive society instead.

hive2.jpg

enjoy.

Archived