Airport/airlines

manxmackem

Another airline is pulling off the rock. Eastern Airways are stopping all of their flights at the end of August, another victory for Flybe? Are we going to have the same monopoly in the air as we have on the sea? Also it has been reported passenger figures were up in June. It does not take a rocket scientist to work out the whole of TT (what a shambles!) was in June this year!!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If figures were quoted as year to date there is a massive decrease in numbers, however 'spin' is the preferred way of dealing with any enquiries relating to 'justification' the whole issue is a joke and a very costly one at that. BTW the current runway length is 1422m due to building works, shorter that it would ever have been had the resa been mandatory and we did not extend !

Anyone notice a difference ?

I thought not !

Another airline is pulling off the rock. Eastern Airways are stopping all of their flights at the end of August, another victory for Flybe? Are we going to have the same monopoly in the air as we have on the sea? Also it has been reported passenger figures were up in June. It does not take a rocket scientist to work out the whole of TT (what a shambles!) was in June this year!!

We accept the logic that the IOMSPC is a monopoly because there is an insufficiently large population to support competition. Does the same apply to airlines? Thank goodness Aer Arran are taking interest in us too.

PS: you will be able to tell if the July passenger figures are good. When they are down Ann Reynolds waits until mid month to issue them. The one time this year they were up (and Tynwald were due to debate increased spending at the Airport) she got them out early.

The aiport directress is eine formidable frau in all departments! She will reign supreme when all promintories are complete and the long runway will allow Orange and Blue (mit a harp shape thingy on the tail) super jets flood into the flughafen and the fantasies of Herr Anderson and all ze dreamers at DoT are fulfilled.

------------------------------------------

vertrauen Sie mir, ich bin ein Luftfahrtingenieur!

BTW the current runway length is 1422m due to building works, shorter that it would ever have been had the resa been mandatory and we did not extend !

I thought not !

Anyone understand that?

I thought not !

BTW the current runway length is 1422m due to building works, shorter that it would ever have been had the resa been mandatory and we did not extend !

I thought not !

Anyone understand that?

I thought not !

I do. What he's saying is that while the work on the new runway end is underway, the runway end has effectively been moved further down the runway to allow for clearance over the works - a displaced threshold. Given that the argument for this £40M project was that airlines would not come to the IOM because the runway didn't meet 'recommended' standards, they are quite happily operating into a runway strip shorter than the original runway! Thus, it could be argued that the case that dazzled our peabrains in the House was specious. In fact let's not argue, it was.

I do. What he's saying is that while the work on the new runway end is underway, the runway end has effectively been moved further down the runway to allow for clearance over the works - a displaced threshold. Given that the argument for this £40M project was that airlines would not come to the IOM because the runway didn't meet 'recommended' standards, they are quite happily operating into a runway strip shorter than the original runway! Thus, it could be argued that the case that dazzled our peabrains in the House was specious. In fact let's not argue, it was.

Utah, thanks for that. Talking of peabrains I recall a discussion in Tynwald which centered around the fact that the consultants on the runway mis-measured its length. It was actually (if I recall) 160 metres longer than they had calculated! Almost a RESA length in fact - the new extension is 245 metres long. Needless to say this was not seen as a reason for reviewing the extension works.

what will the new runway length be ?

when is it due to be finished ?

Google has the answers.

The main runway will be extended by 245m (804ft) out into the Irish Sea by the construction of a reclaimed rock-armoured strip of land.

The project is part of a £44m plan which will include the resurfacing of the runway during the summer of 2008 and the extension project, which began in spring 2008 being completed by December 2009.

2 second search

Archived