Airport/airlines

manxmackem

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so, what will the new runway length be ?

According to the 245m increase and the statistics on Wiki, I make it 1999m. How odd! Just short of 2km. I wonder why?

I heard a while ago that it is going to be used for military purposes again and that is why they approved the extension. It make sense as there is no other valid reason anyone has come up with.

so, what will the new runway length be ?

According to the 245m increase and the statistics on Wiki, I make it 1999m. How odd! Just short of 2km. I wonder why?

Found the quote I was looking for from Tynwald debate 24 April 2007:

1.2. The Hon. Member for Onchan (Mr Karran) to ask the Minister for the Treasury:

With regard to the Business Plan for the proposed runway extension scheme at Ronaldsway airport, which I understand is currently being considered by your Department –

(a) are you aware that the Isle of Man Airport Master Plan 2006 (which forms part of the Planning Application documentation and presumably also part of the Business Plan) states that the main runway ‘currently has a maximum Take-off Run Available (TORA) of 1736 metres’ whereas the actual TORA, as declared to the Aeronautical Information Service is 1896 metres;

(b) are you also aware that the Runway End Safety Area (RESA) at the western end of the runway is currently 180 metres long, and not 90 metres, as could have been implied from the documentation and statements made with regard to the project;

If this is correct we are getting a magnificent additional 103 metres for £42 million. or for those of us still in feet and inches, about £10,400 per inch. Glad they are not laying a floor in my place.

I've recently booked a trip to Birmingham for two people through Flybe in September... OVER £300!!! :angry:

No wonder Tourism is dead! You can fly to New York from the UK for that type of money!

You can get a return to Birmingham for 80ish (which is reasonable, when you can get it) a lot of the time. If you're booking peak times or something then it'd be stupidly expensive the same on your imaginary New York flight

The government should run a public bus-type flight service I reckon - for the main routes at least. Flybe tried to charge me £250 just to change to an earlier flight when i got to Gatwick really early one day. Hardly cheap...

Does this have anything to do with the landing fees charges here which I hear are one of the highest in the Europe

It goes a little way to the fare. Look at any fare breakdown and the IOM element for taxes and charges is invariably higher than the other end but do bear in mind the Grand Designs of the Great Directress have to be funded form somewhere, not to mention the archaic work practises in use at the airport.

As for charges for changes, Flybe are one of the most extortionate around. I had to change a booking for my parents, a change of dates. Time taken on line, perhaps 2 mins; cost to Flybe, zero; cost to me, £100. That was £25 per person per sector = daylight robbery. A single charge for the change would (just) be justifiable but that was nothing more than daylight robbery.

I've recently booked a trip to Birmingham for two people through Flybe in September... OVER £300!!! :angry:

No wonder Tourism is dead! You can fly to New York from the UK for that type of money!

You can get a return to Birmingham for 80ish (which is reasonable, when you can get it) a lot of the time. If you're booking peak times or something then it'd be stupidly expensive the same on your imaginary New York flight

Plus 19 quid if you want to take a bag plus a mysterious 6 quid booking fee plus a massive 8 quid credit card fee. Flybe = complete rip off.

I'm still waiting for the Airport Directoresses positive spin on this news. I'm caught between expecting

"Airline stopping flying to the Isle of Man is good news for tourism"

"Airline closing down opens up new gap to be filled by low cost high volume operator luckily our runway is getting bigger"

... or

"Airport figures up again despite no planes arriving or departing to Birmingham"

Plus 19 quid if you want to take a bag plus a mysterious 6 quid booking fee plus a massive 8 quid credit card fee. Flybe = complete rip off.

Flybe are doing Bloody credit cards now, through a French bank with silly rates. !

will it cost to wear a hat or a coat next ? :angry:

Eastern were expensive anyway and now they are gone Flybe are putting on an extra flight.

If you book early enough its cheap. I agree if you want to change flights they charge over the top (like all the no-frills airlines do) but I remember similar posts about how terible Manx Airlines and then BA were and everyone wanted a cheap no-frills airline to come in. Now we have them everyone remembers the good days when we had Manx Airlines or BA.

Can't please all the people even a little bit of the time.

Eastern were expensive anyway and now they are gone Flybe are putting on an extra flight.

If you book early enough its cheap. I agree if you want to change flights they charge over the top (like all the no-frills airlines do) but I remember similar posts about how terible Manx Airlines and then BA were and everyone wanted a cheap no-frills airline to come in. Now we have them everyone remembers the good days when we had Manx Airlines or BA.

Can't please all the people even a little bit of the time.

Flybe cheap ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha yes right.

Try, Flybe expensive no frills airline. Compare the lack of service, and extras charged on flybe with aer arran then try noticing the prices.

Archived