Airport/airlines

manxmackem

Always amazes me that people forget that Manx Airlines were charging £380 return to UK in 2000 (approx £500 in todays money) with no discount for any advance bookings against a potential £60 now.

Also that, once a booking is made, you have to pay to change any detail......that is one of the facts of the new age of flying get over it no matter what the reason you might think you have!

Also that anyone can think that there is a magic operator out there who will give punctilious service at the same cost to an Island that does not have sufficient TWO way traffic at any time....even Manx lost money on most routes, hence their large price on flights to London that subsidised the other routes!

Sometimes you have to accept change and be thankful that there is a service that is cheap and, ok sometimes, gets it wrong!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always amazes me that people forget that Manx Airlines were charging £380 return to UK in 2000 (approx £500 in todays money) with no discount for any advance bookings against a potential £60 now.

No, not forgotten that. Nor also have not forgotten the Manx Airlines Farecracker flights to Liverpool at £19.50 (including taxes et al). I think also your "potential £60" flights are going to take some finding.

I hereby challenge you to post details of a £60 return flight (or below) to the UK, including taxes, baggage etc (which were not charged for by Manx Airlines).

Should you manage to do so I will unreservedly apologise and buy you a beer.

Always amazes me that people forget that Manx Airlines were charging £380 return to UK in 2000 (approx £500 in todays money)

I don't remember that, strange as I was travelling a lot at that time. Manx Airlines 1988 IOM-LHR return was £300 full fare, £185 restricted. I don't remember restricted Heathrow fares ever going much above £250.

However, your point is valid. Restricted fare flights are much cheaper in general now than they were then. I just with they would be up front about the cost rather than increase it by stealth as you go through your booking.

• 4 weeks later...
whilst people pay it, they will charge it.

true but the air fares from BHX do start at £9 each way plus taxes.

All airlines adopt a yield system with their fares whereby the earlier you book the cheaper it is.

I suspect the £300 fare for 2 is because the flights are heavily booked at the time of reservation.

If anyone can find me air fares to NYC for £300 i`ll buy them :-)

whilst people pay it, they will charge it.

true but the air fares from BHX do start at £9 each way plus taxes.

All airlines adopt a yield system with their fares whereby the earlier you book the cheaper it is.

I suspect the £300 fare for 2 is because the flights are heavily booked at the time of reservation.

If anyone can find me air fares to NYC for £300 i`ll buy them :-)

Outbound

London - New York

Previous weekAlso change the inbound calendar datesNext week

Wed

30 Dec

Thu

31 Dec

Fri

1 Jan

Sat

2 Jan

Sun

3 Jan

Mon

4 Jan

Tue

5 Jan

From

£253

From

£181

From

£196

From

£196

From

£196

From

£181

From

£150

Important Message

Lowest adult price including taxes, fees, charges and surcharges

If you change your outbound date the inbound prices may change.

Prices are quoted in GB Pounds (GBP, £).

Currency calculatorInbound

New York - London

Previous weekAlso change the outbound calendar datesNext week

Wed

6 Jan

Thu

7 Jan

Fri

8 Jan

Sat

9 Jan

Sun

10 Jan

Mon

11 Jan

Tue

12 Jan

From

£197

From

£181

From

£196

From

£196

From

£196

From

£181

From

£181

Important Message

Lowest adult price including taxes, fees, charges and surcharges

If you change your outbound date the inbound prices may change.

Prices are quoted in GB Pounds (GBP, £).

Currency calculatorAbout your fare

Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges for the entire journey are approximately £211.30.

Outbound and inbound prices shown are only valid when purchased as a return journey.

The prices shown are intended to help you choose your most appropriate journey. The exact total will be shown after you have selected your outbound and inbound flights and may be higher than the amount shown on this page.

If you choose to pay using a UK billed credit card you will incur a credit card surcharge of £4.50 per ticket.

ProcessingStart againMore choices

People who looked at New York also looked at:

Boston

Los Angeles

Miami

Orlando

Washington DC

Change your search

From

London (All)London (Heathrow)London (Gatwick)London (City Airport)BirminghamEdinburghGlasgowManchesterNewcastle upon TyneAberdeenBarraBelfastBenbeculaCampbeltownInvernessIslayIsle of ManJerseyKirkwallLondonderry (City of Derry)Shetland Islands (Sumburgh)StornowayTireeWick

ToWhere we fly

Depart

Return

Classwhat's this?

EconomyPremium EconomyBusiness/ClubFirst

Ticket type

what's this?

Lowest price

Flexible conditions (Business UK)Adults

(12+)

123456789Child

(2-11)

012345678Infants

(<2)

012345678Children travelling alone, up to age 18??

Disability assistance

Please wait...

...updating inbound prices

footer navigation links

oneWorld Alliance Contact Us Accessibility Cookies Site Index Site Help About British Airways Legal Careers Affiliates

Destinations Flights to New York Flights to London Flights to Edinburgh Car Rental Hotels Holidays

Archived