Taxman Begins New Assault

bluemonday

Clicky

The UK tax authorities launched a fresh crackdown on savers with offshore accounts yesterday in an attempt to recoup hundreds of millions of pounds in unpaid revenue.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) began its first assault two years ago when it raised £400 million by chasing savers who had failed to pay tax on offshore accounts held with five leading UK banks. It has now widened the net to examine people who have accounts with a further 300 UK and foreign-owned banks.

Clicky
The UK tax authorities launched a fresh crackdown on savers with offshore accounts yesterday in an attempt to recoup hundreds of millions of pounds in unpaid revenue.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) began its first assault two years ago when it raised £400 million by chasing savers who had failed to pay tax on offshore accounts held with five leading UK banks. It has now widened the net to examine people who have accounts with a further 300 UK and foreign-owned banks.

Meh. Nobody in the UK has offshore accounts in their own names in this day and age except for a few confused old biddies.

In my country we have no tax, but also we have no roads, or school really.

Nobody in the UK has offshore accounts in their own names in this day and age except for a few confused old biddies.

In my country we have no ... school really

Really? You do surprise me .not.

Nobody in the UK has offshore accounts in their own names in this day and age except for a few confused old biddies.

In my country we have no ... school really

Really? You do surprise me .not.

Tis true, I've laundered money for the best of them in my time. Nobody in the UK would have money in their own name offshore because there is no tax advantage. The only ones who do were encouraged to set them up in the 70s and 80s by adverts in the national papers.

These days it's much more complex; corporations, trusts, insurance policies, proper advice etc, than the good old days when we used to fly over with bags of cash.

You might want to look into this as this is what keeps the Island rich.

"These days it's much more complex; corporations, trusts, insurance policies, proper advice etc, than the good old days when we used to fly over with bags of cash. "

No use coming here with a satchel full of cash these days! No-one would touch it.

As for trusts, etc. the revised ESTD is going to nail a lot of people.

I was reading that the number of requests from the UK treasury to the offshore centres that were actually answered with information was falling not rising, and the numbers employed by the tax collecting department was also falling. So maybe its actually becoming easier to conceal offshore assets from the UK Treasury, so long as you reply something along the lines of "I closed that account years ago, honest!"?

Archived