Nigerian Taliban

La_Dolce_Vita

Infringes on freedoms and rights? Well...is it right that parents indoctrinate their children to believe in God by taking them to Sunday school and telling them about God? Is it right for religious figures to be recognised as people who views have significance in matters of politics? Though I don't know how much it is done today, but is it right for children to be introduced to religion through hymn singing and possibly the invitation of clergyman to address assemblies? These are just some examples.

But you didn't say anything about those things. You just said "All religion should be opposed in my opinion." I think you were being a bit flippant.

I don't think it is right that religious leaders should be customarily involved politics.

As for religious indoctrination. As children our views on everything, not just religion, are subject to influence from various sources - parents, advertising, education, peers - but when we are young we are more likely to accept as truth whatever is told to us. As adults we can make our own choices and form our own views on things; to accept what we have learned as children, or not. Of course they will be coloured somewhat by childhood teachings. Religious 'indoctrination' as children is just as aspect of that.

At school we sung hymns every morning, said prayers three times a day, and had regular sermons from the vicar (this was in the 90s). My father though was steadfastly anti-religious and wouldn't have us baptised. Both of those influences have coloured my views on religion as an adult, but i have made my own choices about it.

No, I wasn't being flippant. Why do you think that? And those were some examples, and specifically ones to do with children. Christian, Islamic, Jewish, Mormon, etc. thinking on matters are, as I said, things to be opposed through ridicule and criticism.

And in terms of my examples, children shouldn't be exposed to it at all.

No, I wasn't being flippant. Why do you think that? And those were some examples, and specifically ones to do with children. Christian, Islamic, Jewish, Mormon, etc. thinking on matters are, as I said, things to be opposed through ridicule and criticism.

And in terms of my examples, children shouldn't be exposed to it at all.

I thought you were saying it without fully supporting the implications of it, possibly to get a reaction! but seemingly you were not.

Religion is ridiculous, archaic, sometimes evil, and one of the biggest causes of conflict ever, but it is a person's right to believe in whatever they want and practice their beliefs if they don't violate anyone elses rights, which too often they do when ancient beliefs that aren't compatible with modern ideas on human rights, (like the right to wear trousers) are taken literally. So religion should be practised within the bounds of liberalism, and not infringe on liberties. Then i see few problems with it.

What do you mean in practical terms by 'oppose'? What would you do? Have it suppressed and ban people from practising?

If religious individuals keep their religion to themselves and do not try and exploit the weak-minded, the impressionable, and the young with their nonsense then it is quite fine.

Unfortunately religion in our society has far too much influence over people. It influences their morality, their thinking on matters, etc. The vast majority of religious believers, I think is fair to say, are indoctrinated into it from a young age. It merely perpetuates itself because of a lack of critical thinking and the desire by the religious to want to believe, even though such a belief amounts to servility and treats them as if they were irresponsible children.

You can't suppress nor ban, and it would be very wrong to do so. And preventing people from practising has never stopped religion.

I think people should be more open in their ridicule of religious belief. I think we need to stop giving religion a certain credit or acceptance in society when it is used to brainwash people into idea of false hope through redemption and the threat of eternal suffering or servility, i.e. hell/heaven.

I think people should be more open in their ridicule of religious belief. I think we need to stop giving religion a certain credit or acceptance in society when it

is used to brainwash people into idea of false hope through redemption and the threat of eternal suffering or servility, i.e. hell/heaven.

You would say that. Religions seldom have a sympathetic view on homosexuality!

But yeah, i'd agree. We need to be more openly ciritical, which we often aren't i think through this modern fear of causing offence.

I think people should be more open in their ridicule of religious belief. I think we need to stop giving religion a certain credit or acceptance in society when it

is used to brainwash people into idea of false hope through redemption and the threat of eternal suffering or servility, i.e. hell/heaven.

You would say that. Religions seldom have a sympathetic view on homosexuality!

But yeah, i'd agree. We need to be more openly ciritical, which we often aren't i think through this modern fear of causing offence.

No they don't, but it is interesting how perceptions on it have changed throughout history, as the societies of the Islamic Caliphates didn't make such an issue of it as the Christians did. But it in this country there isn't so much of an 'opposition' to homosexuality as there once was. But don't mistake my dislike of religion to be found on that.

Religion is abhorrent in how it leads people to take on such a specific way of thinking, well that is if you do accept the truth of the Bible or Koran. It makes people servile, treats them like babies, makes them think like children, makes them believe they are under constant surveillance, that they are accountable for their actions to someone for their ill doings, etc. I could go on.

Archived