A Septic Lady Bikers Thoughts Of The Iom

marshall_42

Why are people attacking this woman?

Nobody is.

Yep, I simply posted an article I came across for the interest and amusement of others. I think it's a refreshingly naive view of the Isle of Man from someone who came from a bit further afield than usual with few preconceptions.

Note the gripe about accommodation costs, but not the Racket fare. The hotel seems a bit steep. Is it a good un? Did arriving after the start of TT reduce the extortion of the Racket?

"...the Red Arrows, a stunt show by the Royal Air Force Display Team, a pair of bi-wing planes..."

Damn defence cuts...

Defence cuts? When did the Red Arrows add wing walkers to their display? "....planes topped with scantily clad women ..."

It's like anti missile flares but developed for the Taliban.

' Train the stinger on that infidel plane Abdul and slay the unbeliever'

'Arrgh I cannot, the sons of dogs are using scantily clad women on the wings, I dare not look at their immodesty lest Allah blind me for my impiety'

I think we should thank her instead of taking the piss. She obviously liked the place, and did her best to say so, even if her article does highlight the fact that if you mention the Island to people overseas they alll respond in the same way - death at the TT, and a rather shady tax haven.

Idiomatic American speech paterns at the moment are becoming ever more truncated, and they tend to use inflection to replace preposition and punctuation; there's an implied pause betwen the Red Arrows and the wing walkers that American readers would insert without thinking about it. It's why they're so hard to understand in films and as TV presenters and newsreaders. Just another reminder that America is a foreign country.

Clusters of charming stone cottages in Douglas gave way to fields of grazing sheep and cows in nearby Kirk Michael

The amusing thing is this sounds like a different place, but to someone from L.A. Douglas, probably is a cluster of cottages and Kirk Michael is nearby.

johnnyrotton - there's no implied pause in the red devils sentence, since there is an actual one in the form of a comma. But kevster was just making a joke not having a go at her.

Archived