Senior Citizens Charged To Travel On Buses Between 3.30 And 5.30pm

The Toad Of Toad Hall

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the rationale behind funding OAPs transport?

It must be a job creation scheme in public transport, is it?

And perhaps for fear that if they stay still too long they will get rusty (the buses that is, not the old people)...

I personally think that this is very unfair and i do not understand the reason for this when most of the buses you see travelling during rush hour are empty anyway. Unfortunately, we seem to live in a society which is not very tolerant of our elders.

Seems pretty plain to me, busy time of the day and they dont want them taking up seats when there are fare paying passengers about. Can't say I blame em.

But let face it, most of the fare paying public avoid using the bus as much as they can. Most poeple only tend to use it if their car has broken or in situations like that.

I dont see it that way as the fare paying public would be on the bus, that is why they are fare paying. ;)

They'll change their mind on this. You wait ages for one idea (charge for OAP's) and then two come along together. (1. Was that a good idea? 2. No, let's give it to them free again)

Got it in one.

Back-track already announced, "until the bus survey is complete" or words to that effect.

Its like 2 HOURS worth of fare travel time when kids need the buses to get them home from school and commuters travel home from work ! They still travel free for the rest of the day dont they ???

stay at bingo / coffee shop / hairdressers for those 2 hours if its that much of a problem ! :D

I personally think that this is very unfair and i do not understand the reason for this when most of the buses you see travelling during rush hour are empty anyway. Unfortunately, we seem to live in a society which is not very tolerant of our elders.

Considering the number of 'media liaison managers' the government employ this has been very poorly handled.

They are very keen to come on local radio when they've got 'good news' to promote.

Silence when they need to explain something negative.

The new Director of Public Transport, Ian Longworth, is from England, and i don't think he knows what he's facing with Manx pensioners. The moaning hordes of undead are already assembling in opposition to this, and I can see the DTL backing down.

It's a stupid idea anyway. It won't save them much money - the pensioners are only paying half fare for 2 hours. And if their intention is to reduce the numbers of non-fare paying people on busy buses then it will fail because few pensioners are going to be put off by having to pay half fare, and those that might be put off will be the poorer ones, and making them pay defeats the purpose of having concessionary passes for OAPs.

I can't believe that even the Dtl would stoop this low. This are the people that advise you to take the bus in TT to reduce the congestion caused by their mismanagement of the races - then choose TT week to increase prices.

Scrap the whole blinking dept - buses and trains to Dot (how can you have a joined up transport policy when ine dept isn't in charge of the lot. Rest to DTI. Save in chief exec and minister's wages for a start.

I can't believe that even the Dtl would stoop this low. This are the people that advise you to take the bus in TT to reduce the congestion caused by their mismanagement of the races - then choose TT week to increase prices.

Scrap the whole blinking dept - buses and trains to Dot (how can you have a joined up transport policy when ine dept isn't in charge of the lot. Rest to DTI. Save in chief exec and minister's wages for a start.

Agree, bloody stupid. If theres over demand for busses, we need more busses not more restrictions.

Archived