Senior Citizens Charged To Travel On Buses Between 3.30 And 5.30pm

The Toad Of Toad Hall

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Ramsey skipper bus never has any more than ten people on it and do they use a single decker bus for the Ramsey town route? No, they use a Double decker bus. Why? Only the bus management can answer that one.

I know that's been answered before and I'm pretty certain it was something to do with the extra cost of the double decker being small versus the practical value of having another bus in the fleet that could service any route and that it was cheaper overall to maintain say 10 of the same double deckers than 9 double deckers and 1 single decker.

This may not have come from an official source though - it was so long ago I can't remember who said it.

OK revolutionary idea. But let be buses be free for all!

Many's the time I've been on a half full bus and been the only one one who has paid a fare.

It would prove our green credentials.

OK obviously revenue is going to be lost, but how much?

I'd like to see the figures.

I think this is a good idea, but of course it wouldn't be free, it would be paid for by everyone. Which I expect quite a few people would object to.

The Ramsey skipper bus never has any more than ten people on it and do they use a single decker bus for the Ramsey town route? No, they use a Double decker bus. Why? Only the bus management can answer that one.

Or logic. They need to have a large number of Double Deckers for the school run and for peak times. The alternative would be for the driver to return to the depot, switch to a smaller bus for the lower volume journeys meaning twice the maintenance and twice the cleaning costs.

Also you have to remember (although probably not an issue for the Ramsey Skipper) is that often you see an empty double decker that had been or will be full at some point in the journey. So the bus South starts full and empties along the route, turns around at Port St. Mary and gradually fills up again.

...i'd rather see a bus full of coffin dodgers paying nothing than be stuck behind them trying to drive themselves around at 20 mph.

20mph? Get yourself a racing licence, little one, and maybe I'll take you on. :nuke:

What a despicable man!

So here's the truth at last it's not because of pensioners taking up paying passengers' seats. He wants to discourage them from using the buses so he can say "it's not being used" and cancel it, so it's not only the pensioners that lose out - it's the fare paying passengers as well.

And what are these "exceptionally difficult financial circumstances" - a £700,000 overspend on the TT, which is supposed to boost the Island's economy, £20k for a TTXGP concert that 200 people saw, £100k to host TTXGP, £100k for a chief exec.

This gentleman's cavalier running of this joke department is to be paid for by trashing the one thing his department does well, with a particular burden being placed on the elderly.

The thin edge of the wedge.

This on an Island where there are over 200 solicitors (advocates) who are in the main turning their noses up at legal aid because it doesn't pay them enough (£150 per hour).

That may well be my twisted slant on things but does it make it any less relevant?

The Island is awash, awash, awash with money. It's just that the greedy bastards who we entrust to distribute the wealth are, well, greedy bastards.

It's a fucken fact.

'Prime time'

However, he suggested that by launching fares for pensioners, it would encourage them not to use the buses at that time allowing a reduction in services.

"The plans are born from the need to deal with 'exceptionally difficult financial circumstances," he said.

"Taking one bus out of circulation would save £250,000," he said.

MQ is a walking PR disaster.

I'm trying to work out what he's saying here. So he wants to encourage them not to use them during 'prime time' allowing for a reduction in services, but surely the prime time services are the ones that are needed? What buses does he want to 'take out of circulation'?

This isn't so much a saving as a step to take more money off those who have the least. Would this not effectively leave these senior citizens marrooned in whatever town their Home is? Christ, can you imagine if that was Port Erin or Ramsey?

Maybe taxes should be increased more or other ways found to make savings.

This isn't so much a saving as a step to take more money off those who have the least. Would this not effectively leave these senior citizens marrooned in whatever town their Home is? Christ, can you imagine if that was Port Erin or Ramsey?

Maybe taxes should be increased more or other ways found to make savings.

The average pensioner has 4 to 5 times the capital assets of an average 30 year-old, these facts came up a few years ago.

Don't be taken in by all the bleating you hear - there may well be 'poor' pensioners - there are also plenty of couples struggling to raise a family.

OK revolutionary idea. But let be buses be free for all!

Many's the time I've been on a half full bus and been the only one one who has paid a fare.

It would prove our green credentials.

OK obviously revenue is going to be lost, but how much?

I'd like to see the figures.

THis was costed when Peter Karran suggested free travel on the buses.

It would cost a lot.

A better idea would be to privatise the buses and get the politicians out of the system.

Any contract could specify the mimimum number of jourenys on each route etc

Government shouldn't be running The Gaiety Theatre and entertainment complex Villa Marina either. They should be setting the policy

not booking the acts.

I suppose we're getting off topic here, but that is a good point regarding Villa and Gaiety.

When the Villa re-opened it was to cost the tax-payer £30,000 per week to run it (all those managers eh). I wonder what a recent calculation would be?

The Villa is a fantastic facility of course - but at what price.

Besides, I will never forgive 'them' for holding a darts tournament on one of the opening nights. Big fat people smoking tabs like they was going out of fashion.

And all those new carpets and seats . . . impregnated, tarred and tarnished forever with foul peoples breath and waste smoke.

Don't be taken in by all the bleating you hear - there may well be 'poor' pensioners - there are also plenty of couples struggling to raise a family.

They are two separate issues.

Don't you think that pensioners also struggled to raise their families?

Archived