Electricity Prices To Rise From September.

Rich

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
..which can, of course, be offset by the massive reductions in the costs of oil and gas in the past 10 months.

That depends on when the bought their fuel package, how much they agreed to pay for it and how much is left.

All electricity and gas consumers, regardless of their supplier are benefiting from further decreases in electricity and gas prices since 1 May 2009.

The Commission has approved an average 10% reduction in electricity prices for residential and small & medium business customers and a slightly lower reduction for large industrial and commercial electricity consumers. An average reduction of 12% in natural gas prices for all residential and small & medium business customers has also been approved. The exact level of reduction will vary from customer to customer and depends on their usage and connection.

As a result of drops in wholesale fuel prices in 2008 and into 2009 the Commission carried out an analysis of ESB Customer Supply and Bord Gáis Energy Supply costs to determine the scope for a reduction in regulated end user electricity and gas tariffs. This review showed that current ESB tariffs are reflective of actual costs however fuel market trends indicate there was likely to be scope for a tariff reduction from October 2009. The Commission has brought forward this reduction by reducing network charges in the interim period (May – Oct

2009). The Gas price reductions are due to in the main to lower gas costs than forecast.

Source: Commission for Energy Regulation, The Exchange, Belgard Square North, Tallaght, Dublin 24

Irish energy prices have been further assisted by the introduction of direct competition to the previous monopoly electricity supplier from both Brd Gais and Airtricity.

...and how much did it cost to produce the glossy leaflet that arrived with the Courier this week? :angry:

Peanuts I'd imagine compared to the new store in the Strand shopping centre, but they did need to be in a better position IMO.

Anyone know how long is left on the 'unauthorised loans repayment plan'?

..and how much did it cost to produce the glossy leaflet that arrived with the Courier this week?

I would have thought that the cost off producing the leaflet will be taken out off running cost or advertising. These, i would think, are Tax Deductable so it won't be coming out off any profits or can be passed on to the customer.

Or how much is it costing for the MEA showrooms to move to the old Maleys site in Strand Street just so the IOM Government can pretend that Strand Street is not full of empty property anymore?

It's not going in Maleys, it's going in the Strand Shopping centre. See my post above.

To be fair MEA Retail is just that, a retail outlet and it makes commercial sense to be where most of the footfall is if there is an opportunity to relocate. I'd rather see them a successful enterprise making some money to go back in the pot, than a empty shop which is costing us money.

Or how much is it costing for the MEA showrooms to move to the old Maleys site in Strand Street just so the IOM Government can pretend that Strand Street is not full of empty property anymore?

It's not going in Maleys, it's going in the Strand Shopping centre. See my post above.

To be fair MEA Retail is just that, a retail outlet and it makes commercial sense to be where most of the footfall is if there is an opportunity to relocate. I'd rather see them a successful enterprise making some money to go back in the pot, than a empty shop which is costing us money.

I agree with you Slinkydevil, but I'd rather see a Comet/Dixons/Currys in the old Woolworths to give the MEA retail a kick in the pants to lower their prices.

...and how much did it cost to produce the glossy leaflet that arrived with the Courier this week? :angry:

Peanuts I'd imagine compared to the new store in the Strand shopping centre, but they did need to be in a better position IMO.

Anyone know how long is left on the 'unauthorised loans repayment plan'?

from MR website

As the MEA announces its latest tariff rise, its chairman says we're coming to the end of the period of peak increases.

Electricity will go up by 1.1 per cent from September, a figure based on a formula of inflation - currently negative - plus two per cent.

Quintin Gill says 2009 was the year when the biggest hikes were planned as part of the nine year rescue package agreed by Tynwald in 2005

so we've got rises until 2014 ?

I agree with you Slinkydevil, but I'd rather see a Comet/Dixons/Currys in the old Woolworths to give the MEA retail a kick in the pants to lower their prices.

Too true. I went in the old MEA shop last week and walked straight back out after seeing the prices.

A good friend of mine did the same.

Bought online and had the item sent from Scotland.

STILL FAR CHEAPER THAN THE MEA INCLUDING THE DELIVERY CHARGE FROM SCOTLAND

Archived