Electricity Prices To Rise From September.

Rich

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do I switch electricity provider? - I'm not happy with mine.
boat in the morning ?

Buy an exercise bike and link it into your power supply? Alternatively a thousand hamsters on treadmills in the garage?

This is not the best news, electric is currently my second biggest bill after rent. I suppose it comes with not having a choice of provider, and even if we did the lines would still be run by the MEA so prices would be similar.

Although the complaint about timing doesn’t sit with me my bills are pretty constant no matter the season.

I guess I'll just start turning everything off at the plug again.

An additional more radical step might be to calculate out how much could be saved by closing all generation here and importing all our electricity needs from the UK.

Given that the cable can only operate at a maximum of 70mw and the island load can be as high as 100mw where do you propose to get that spare 30mw from other than laying a new cable which in turn would cost another fortune.

That aside you then have the issue of security of supply , if you have all your power coming along the cable and there is a major fault at the Bispham substation guess what happens !

Given that the cable can only operate at a maximum of 70mw and the island load can be as high as 100mw where do you propose to get that spare 30mw from

humanhamsterwheel.gif

Just sell it as a anti-obesity campaign...

Given that the cable can only operate at a maximum of 70mw and the island load can be as high as 100mw where do you propose to get that spare 30mw from

30mW (ie 30/1000 W) is easily obtained from a single cell - 30MW is something else however and = about 40% of Pulrose output - correct use of the shift key is quite important in engineering !

An additional more radical step might be to calculate out how much could be saved by closing all generation here and importing all our electricity needs from the UK.

Given that the cable can only operate at a maximum of 70mw and the island load can be as high as 100mw where do you propose to get that spare 30mw from other than laying a new cable which in turn would cost another fortune.

That aside you then have the issue of security of supply , if you have all your power coming along the cable and there is a major fault at the Bispham substation guess what happens !

1. Well start by getting 70% from the UK then. Close Douglas and keep Peel going?
  2. Build up our alternative energy supply to fill the 30% - people keep saying it is going to happen here and this must be the case as their is a 'consultants report'.
  3. What happens if there is a major problem here? or a strike here? Presumably we will lose at least 30% of our power?

By all means identify potential issues - then they can be managed.

Why not 'think outside the box'? One can always find reasons for NOT doing something.

As natural gas prices are down 40% from the start of the year, electricity in the UK (so I have read) is approximately half the costs here and electricity prices in Ireland have fallen 20% (and more to come) this year - why are prices going up here?

30mW (ie 30/1000 W) is easily obtained from a single cell - 30MW is something else however and = about 40% of Pulrose output - correct use of the shift key is quite important in engineering !

:rolleyes: Cheers Frances fair point 30mw wouldn't really be a cause for concern and a pack of tesco value batteries would probably solve that problem at no major cost to the consumer :) . 30MW is 1 gas turbine running at full capacity , don't forget there are also the 5 diesels at Pulrose which are still operational giving another 40-45MW so in total that is 120-125 MW from the Pulrose site .

Given that the cable can only operate at a maximum of 70mw and the island load can be as high as 100mw where do you propose to get that spare 30mw

how aboutlinking a pipe to the KSF topic, theres plenty of hot air and bullshit in there to run the world :cool:

Archived