Road Works Starting

Tempus Fugit

not that it's my normal route to anywhere particular (except I was up that way today), but just a reminder that the Watterson Lane road works start Monday 3rd Aug, so anyone travelling over the mountain cannot take the 'ring road' route and will join the rest of the traffic jams at Signpost, Governor's, St Ninians, QB etc

have fun :D

not that it's my normal route to anywhere particular (except I was up that way today), but just a reminder that the Watterson Lane road works start Monday 3rd Aug, so anyone travelling over the mountain cannot take the 'ring road' route and will join the rest of the traffic jams at Signpost, Governor's, St Ninians, QB etc

have fun :D

They might as well make the blockages permanent on that road - what is it now 2 or 3 pelican crossings blocking that off in the morning now?

one minute it's a ring road 'inner link road' then it aint, maybe they are leading the way and the UK will put pelican crossings across the M25 ?

From here. Sounds like the improvements will be a good thing for that road.

During August and September 2009 the Department of Transport will be undertaking a major highway improvement scheme at Johnny Watterson’s Lane, Douglas.

The section of road to be improved runs between Cronk y Berry and Campion Way in Abbeyfields, it is hoped that the work will be finished in 10 weeks using modernised working practices being trialled by the Works Division, compared with the 34 weeks originally scheduled.

The section of Johnny Watterson’s Lane from Hailwood Avenue to Campion Way will be closed to all traffic for the duration of the works whilst the section from Hailwood Avenue to Cronk y Berry will remain open, with traffic management in place.

Minister for Transport, David Anderson MHK said:

‘Johnny Watterson’s Lane carries in excess of 4,500 vehicles per day in each direction and forms part of the Douglas Outer Link. It is classified as a primary distributor and is a bus route and the main heavy goods route to the north of the Island, while also being the main link to the hospital from the north of the Island. As such, this scheme will be the last major part of the Douglas Outer Link to be undertaken following the schemes last year at Braddan Bridge and Governor’s Bridge'.

The width of the existing road on Johnny Watterson’s Lane is inconsistent and several sections fall below the specified minimum width of 7.3m for a single two-way, two-lane carriageway. The shape and ride quality is poor and the drainage is inadequate. Furthermore there is no footway linking Governor’s Hill to Abbeyfields.

Residential development in the area in recent years has caused a significant increase in traffic and at peak times it is particularly difficult for vehicles emerging from Hailwood Avenue due to poor visibility.

The Department considered a number of options ranging from minimal construction works to a major off-line highway scheme. An independent planning inspector ruled against the off-line option so the Department has progressed with the optimum scheme which will include:

Road widening at several locations to achieve the required 7.3m wide carriageway.

Provision of 90m radius at the two bends and the required stopping sight distance along the road

Provision of adequate visibility at Hailwood Avenue

A new 1.8m wide footway from Hailwood Avenue to Campion Way

A right turn ghost island at the junction leading into Hailwood Avenue

A bus lay-by near Cronk y Berry

The original programme for the works was 34 weeks duration. However, the Department’s employees will be trailing a shift working system on the scheme which will cut the programme down to just 10 weeks. The working day will be extended from 8am – 4.30pm to 6am – 9pm with two shifts covering the extended hours. This will allow the works to be completed as swiftly as possible with the least amount of disruption to the travelling public.

34 weeks!!!!

My god I've seen houses put up faster than that

Well there goes my chances of getting to workj in a reasonable time frame

34 weeks!!!!

My god I've seen houses put up faster than that

Well there goes my chances of getting to workj in a reasonable time frame

havn't the got this new shift system now and it will be done in a day and a half ?

finished ahead of schedule and within budget !

fortunately these events are rare ....... :D

I know it's 10 weeks now I still think an estimated 34 weeks prior to these new magical techniques is insanity hence my comment

I'll get the full crayons out for you next time

It's going be a nightmare, causing all sorts of jams elsewhere. The best jams of all will happen when the schools re-open.

as well as the MGP !

with the mountain road shut how are the people out of the estates up there going to get out ?

OOH ! A Minister will make an anouncement on tuesday :P

It's going be a nightmare, causing all sorts of jams elsewhere. The best jams of all will happen when the schools re-open.

No the jams will happen because they have switched on new traffic lights at the Birchill/Heywood Park junctions. These are lights which were fitted to help access to and from the new Bemahague School.

A school which will not be occupied for another TWO YEARS.

Perfect timing DOT - shut down Johnny Wattersons, block the other exit with unnecessary lights. The queues on Hillberry Road started the day the lights were switched on.

No the jams will happen because they have switched on new traffic lights at the Birchill/Heywood Park junctions. These are lights which were fitted to help access to and from the new Bemahague School.

A school which will not be occupied for another TWO YEARS.

yes but u find there stuck there now to let all the traffic from the bulding works out

With Douglas and Onchan virtually one, isn't it about time they stopped building around that area as it would appear that the the roads cannot withstand busy periods? I realise that this isn't the M25 or other area with massive road blocks, but there must be an easier solution?

It also seems crazy that big employers want to stay in Douglas, but haven't got the car park facilities to match the number of people in their building, thereby people are dashing out of their offices/wherever to move their car / change their parking disc etc so that they can have their vehicle close at hand.

Maybe, the old discarded park and ride scheme might work now, providing that certain lanes were for use by shuttle buses and emergency vehicles?

Even with building other ring roads in the future (Scollag Road maybe?), can the infrastructure withhold further building and increased traffic and wouldn't it be better if another area was expanded, that was away from Douglas/Onchan?

Archived