Tourists Flock To Islands In Midst Of Recession

Cronky

From the Stornoway Gazette:

Tourists flock to islands in midst of recession

THE WESTERN Isles are teeming with tourists this summer with reports of fully booked accommodation and a record number of visitors touring with their own camper vans.

The influx of visitors is largely thought to be a result of the ferry fares reductions, but could also be the knock-on effect of the recession - which has meant many people are holidaying in the UK.

How the heck do we compete with that when the Steam Racket has a stranglehold over the Isle of Man?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And right at the other end of the Uk - another success story

Clicky

Island set for summer boom

There seems to be no let-up in interest in the summer months. It is all looking very good.”

Its good to see one destination getting its tourist policy right.

As I'm away next weekend and its cost over £500 return to put one car and 4 people out return I really wonder what fantastic pricing structure the Steam Packet has to attract campers this summer.

Its a shame that we are being held to ransom by a company whose practices have become increasingly unsavoury in recent years. Its getting to the stage where we can't afford to go on holiday never mind attracting tourists!

From the Stornoway Gazette:

Tourists flock to islands in midst of recession

THE WESTERN Isles are teeming with tourists this summer with reports of fully booked accommodation and a record number of visitors touring with their own camper vans.

The influx of visitors is largely thought to be a result of the ferry fares reductions, but could also be the knock-on effect of the recession - which has meant many people are holidaying in the UK.

How the heck do we compete with that when the Steam Racket has a stranglehold over the Isle of Man?

For once it can't be blamed on an IoMSPCo monopoly. Caledonian MacBrayne also have a monopoly. The big difference is that Cal-Mac is state owned and receives very large subsidies from the public purse (approximately £85m in financial year 2006/07) which allows a non-profitable service to operate.

It’s been a couple of years since I’ve used the Steam Packet but we decided on spur of the moment to book a short break away this weekend. Onto the Packet website, selected out on Friday and back on the Sunday for two foot passengers. Price quoted: £150 return.

Chocolate digestive and spattering of tea removed from monitor I clicked back to eradicate what I thought was an inadvertent vehicle sneaking in on the act but no that was the price for two foot passengers.

Now, benefit of the doubt I appreciate it was a last minute booking (3 days before departure) and that the ferry may have been full but £150 is mind-boggling. In the end we booked with Fly-Maybe and once I had unsullied ourselves of assorted insurance and seat charges the total cost came to £120.00 albeit with hand baggage only.

I appreciate that demand may have been high this weekend and left me having to cough up on a standard tariff but at those sorts of numbers it’s little wonder that tourism is on the wane.

Liverpool or Heysham to IOM out 7 August back 14 August car +2 adults +2 children £362 (IOMSPC website tonight). Small campervans the same price. Larger campervans £396. If you happen to book your car on the Friday night sailings to/from it will cost £464 - the 'vans still go for £362 and £396 (why I do not know).

It would be interesting to know given that CalMac are state owned whether the extra passenger volumes they are attracting through fare reductions in fact end up costing money or contributing to profit. If campervan numbers are up 40% I'd have thought that their pricing strategy is paying for itself handsomely.

In any case we have to remember that certain politicians want to ban campervans and that our MHKs don't really seem to think tourism is important for our economy.

check out the Uig-Lochmaddy (shortest ferry crossing to North Uist in Western Isles) - takes about 1hr 45min thus about 50% of Doulas Heysham - foot passengers £9.80 return (when I used it a few years ago there was a over60's discount on this) - car (upto 5m) £44.80 return - all prices apply irrespective of times/dates

These prices (maybe a little more as costs must include a fixed portion as well as distance related portion) would indicate say a £75-£90 car return should apply on the Iom-UK services- the Island is being gouged by the racket.

Cal Mac has to be subsidized because it runs routes to nineteen islands, with a combined population of about 2/3 of ours: Tiree (pop.770), Barra (pop. 1070), Coll (pop. 164) South Uist (pop. 1,800) North Uist (pop.1,270) Harris (pop. 1.980), Lewis (pop. 18,490), Skye (pop. 9,320), Cumbrae (pop. 1,434), Bute (pop. 7,230), Islay (pop. 3,457), Mull (pop, 2,670), Raasay (pop. 192), Jura (pop.188) The Small Isles (pop. 131), Gigha (pop.110), Arran (5,058), Colinsay (pop. 108), and Lismore (pop. 146). You can't make a fair comparison with the Steam Packet. The type of vessels used are also very different.

Nevertheless, anyone wanting to visit the above islands has got to factor in the additional time and cost of getting to the ports, the less reliable service, and the poor public transport available.

There are no theme parks or shopping malls, no road races and few, if any impressive hotels or fashionable restaurants. People go there for two main reasons, the landscape and the culture. The landscape is perfect for hiking, hunting, fishing, sailing, bird watching, etc. The culture is also a major attraction. The islands have managed to protect their way of life. The Gaelic language, the music, the whisky, the traditional crofting lifestyle and associated rural architecture all contribute to a culture that is both appealing and unique.

We could compete with this type of tourism, but it would require a lifestyle revolution, and the self belief that we can be more than just an English suburb with attractive tax arrangements, but dangerous roads, sprawling estates and a culture that despises anyone not totally dedicated to Mammon. Oh, and of course, better ferry arrangements.

I agree with Freggyragh. Comparisons of the Isle of Man to the Scottish Isles are misleading. Our tourist industries rely on different markets, as we have different appeals.

The Scottish Isles appeal to people who enjoy the outdoors, unique culture, and quietude. If people expected the same from the Isle of Man (which some do) they would be greivously fucking disappointed.

We could compete with this type of tourism, but it would require a lifestyle revolution, and the self belief that we can be more than just an English suburb with attractive tax arrangements, but dangerous roads, sprawling estates and a culture that despises anyone not totally dedicated to Mammon. Oh, and of course, better ferry arrangements.

I agree with you with regards to the different market, though I'm not sure we could compete on the same terms in the near future. A lot of people think that the Island is either just another part of the UK, or might as well be. In particular I think that, in those cases where people are even aware of the Island's existence, a lot of people still view it as a kind of faded northern seaside resort. It would take a lot of quite delicate marketing to turn that image around without going to the other extreme, i.e. making the Island look like a contrived celtic theme park where people can come to see the funny road signs and various celtic miscellany. For instance, the Western Isles can probably trade on the fact that their culture has been well established for so many years, whereas we'd have to both play up the little known aspects of the Island's culture and undo the 'bikes, taxes and run down seafronts' image.

I think comparing markets is to some extent a red herring. The Scottish Islands have a particular tourism market that they seem to be exploiting successfully. They have adopted a pro-active approach to getting people over in hard times by managing their fare structures. Better to have full boats paying say 75% of last year's fares than 39% full ones paying 105%. That is a lesson the DoTL could learn irrespective of the nature of the tourists who come over here.

BTW in the last few weeks we have had three lots of friends over and a fourth coming soon. One from Japan, two from Ireland and the last ones from England. Without an exception they all love the Island, enjoy the ancient monuments, the wildlife, the scenery, the ease of getting around, the variety and (to my surprise) the food. The point is (and don't laugh) it IS different here and what visitors want is difference not more of the same. I would agree that in some places we have a creeping urbanisation but it is still relatively small.

in summary we have something that people enjoy and are willing to pay to get over to see - but the cost of getting here remains a big hurdle for many folk when they can either stay in the UK/Ireland or get to the Continent for less. The Highland and islands understand this.

I think comparing markets is to some extent a red herring. The Scottish Islands have a particular tourism market that they seem to be exploiting successfully. They have adopted a pro-active approach to getting people over in hard times by managing their fare structures. Better to have full boats paying say 75% of last year's fares than 39% full ones paying 105%. That is a lesson the DoTL could learn irrespective of the nature of the tourists who come over here.

Sadly, the DTL don't set the fares.

Sadly, the DTL don't set the fares.

You are right - I just get a feeling of desperation whenever I comment that the IOMSPC should do something positive to build tourism here. IF the DoTL had any bottle they might apply political pressure on the Steam Packet.

I think we all agree that the Steam Packet have to play there part in attracting tourism, will they? that is the question, but if any potential visitors read our blogs here it could also just put them off.

Archived