Tynwald Resettlement Pay

manshimajin

I had not realised until I read IoM Today this morning that our esteemed MHKs and MLCs are entitled to a "resettlement payment" if they lose their seat if they have a minimum of two years service. This payment is the equivalent of six months' salary.

There should be some financial provision in the form of a severance payment or resettlement grant to assist members who are not re-elected to re-establish themselves in their extra-parliamentary careers.
the Members of Tynwald (Resettlement Grant) Scheme 2007, which was approved by this Hon. Court in January 2008, provides for a grant payment if a Member who is under pensionable age stands for re-election to the Keys or to Council and is unsuccessful in that endeavour. This payment is equivalent to one half of the annual sum payable to a Member who does not hold any office and is not a Member of any Department. The Scheme also includes a clawback provision should that Member be elected within the following six months, such as through a by-election, or attain pensionable age during the following six months.

The Tynwald 'redundancy' scheme appears to be very generous when compared with other such schemes. I wonder about that matter of 're-establishing themselves in their extra parliamentary career' if they are not re-elected. How difficult would it be for the Chief Minister to get himself back behind the counter of his shop given he does this anyway? Should he get 6 months salary from taxpayers to do this?

It would also appear that a member would still get the payment (without clawback) to re-establish his/her extra-parliamentary career if it was 6 months and 1 day before they attained normal retirement age - how generous can you get...

This type of payment is made in the UK but is it really necessary here or is it just another perk to add to the non-contributory indexed defined benefit pension? I think of withdrawal, on the basis of financial difficulties, of benefits to pensioners, or the failure to fund essential services when I read this sort of thing.

This type of payment is made in the UK but is it really necessary here?

No.

...or is it just another perk to add to the non-contributory indexed defined benefit pension?

Yes.

I think of withdrawal, on the basis of financial difficulties, of benefits to pensioners, or the failure to fund essential services when I read this sort of thing.

Quite.

I wouldn't buy a used car from any one of them.

I wonder if any of them would offer this level of generosity out of their own pockets to their own employees? (this is rhetorical - I know the answer!)

After the general election of 1996 I remember being with a group walking past a rather forlorn looking ousted Douglas MHK standing in the street. Someone quipped "Big Issue" as we walked by. (well, it was topical at the time).

Phil Kermode and Bernie May both spring to mind.

I know TB has his shop and all that but the likes of Graham Cregeen and Quentin Gill both gave up full time jobs to do this and don't have a shop to fall back on. In the run up to an election they have no idea whether they'll be in a job the day after. The higher redundancy pay (for want of a better word) simply reflects the ease by which they can be fired.

I'm not suggesting it is right by the way (please don't flame me!!!) but just explaining the theory.

It'd be nice to know what their pension arrangements are too.

Phil Kermode and Bernie May both spring to mind.

I know TB has his shop and all that but the likes of Graham Cregeen and Quentin Gill both gave up full time jobs to do this and don't have a shop to fall back on. In the run up to an election they have no idea whether they'll be in a job the day after. The higher redundancy pay (for want of a better word) simply reflects the ease by which they can be fired.

I'm not suggesting it is right by the way (please don't flame me!!!) but just explaining the theory.

It'd be nice to know what their pension arrangements are too.

Interestingly, or not depending on your POV, Mr Cregeen and Mr Gill did both give up full time jobs in order to become members of the Isle of Man Government, and both were jobs with the Isle of Man Government - one a postie and the other a probation officer/welfareofficer/social worker. Presumably Mr Gill at least will, in addition to his parliamentary pension, be able to take advantage of a civil service pension built up since 1990, and would probably be able to restart his civil service career as well, should he lose his seat.

Archived