Flattened

Speckled Frost

“Quote”So was the Majestic! Up in a cloud of smoke, I think they should have re-built the Majestic, surely the master craftsmen of today could follow the plans. Like I said earlier Spookily similar to the recent accident at the New Dynasty.

I worked on the Majestic demolition and to be fair when we first went up there the building was in a terrible state , and the fire did not happen until ¾ of the building was already demolished, only the old kitchens and the wing on the Laxey side were half standing.(was quite spectacular to watch though)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really didn't think this would get the go ahead. 

I'd be willing to bet a large amount of money that it wouldn't have been approved if the present use of the building was anything but a nightclub. Even a well run nightclub might have got away with it but the police have had the closure of the Venue in their sights for along time.

I'm happy to be corrected here as I can only summise, but would that sentiment be because the Island went trough a lean period which saw little investment in facilities and various contributing factors did mean that the public were less likely to "go out" during the week and weekends?

Rather than wanting to stay in, they simply didn't want to go out?

Not on the Prom, but...

• White City: Closed and replaced with apartments (?)

• Laxey Glen Gardens: Grassed over. Riverside walk to nowhere still exists.

Isn't it just a case of changing tastes? When were you last in the crescent? Or Paramout city? Perhaps people just don't like nightclubs and arcade machines as much as they used to, I know I don't. People like to go out and eat now, there's loads more resteraunts on the prom than there used to be. There's more bars too. There's also two cinemas, a couple of gyms (for now) and a lap dancing club.

Also in the period you're talking about, we've opened a new sports centre off the prom, a new villa with cinema, kids play area and stage and stuff and the theatre has a new lease of life.

Besides that, people have home cinema setups, games consoles, sky tv and all that jazz at home. When they go on holiday they go abroad rather than come here. I'd say it was changing tastes, simple as that.

I worked on the Majestic demolition and to be fair when we first went up there the building was in a terrible state , and the fire did not happen until ¾ of the building was already demolished, only the old kitchens and the wing on the Laxey side were half standing.(

Really? I thought the building was protected, being Ballie Scott and all that. Oh to think of what it has been replaced by....So sad. I guess the talk of asbestos was the old Manx rumour mill too. I must be mistaken, I will be off and ask the internet....back soon.

Edit - OMG, I was wrong. I am quite speachless. I wonder if - no, I like this forum I'm not even going to wonder who the government planning officials were.....nor make any preposterous suggestions of corruption absolute no, it's just the usual, plain ignorance coupled with blatant stupidity :angry: .

sn't it just a case of changing tastes? When were you last in the crescent? Or Paramout city? Perhaps people just don't like nightclubs and arcade machines as much as they used to, I know I don't.

Surely that's a change that comes along with the change in age. The younger generation still go out clubbing, kids still go down to the crescent. There's still a demand for them otherwise they would have closed down long ago. Just because you have changed in your tastes does not mean that everyone has. I can't remember the last time i went out for a proper meal (would have been before Christmas i think)

I personally wonder what will happen to the number of people who were in the venue, where will they end up? Will all the other clubs get crowded. And where will bands and events who will draw in a larger audience perform? I doubt the villa will want the bands performing there, they have already said no to the dance nights that were proposed. Space, DC/AC, Pigs on the wing, Hell is for Heroes, The Damned (nearly), that Queen Stars in their eyes guy, the Comedy club nights have all appeared at the venue....where are they going to go now? It's a shame that the planning office have allowed this, in my opinion the Island has lost a valuable leisure resource.

I hope the venue does carry on in another building. I noticed the chav brigade weren't at the venue when i was over at christmas, the security seems to have tightened up on them and there were very few of them about. When was the last time you heard about a fight outside the venue, i haven't been able to read the papers over there recently but i can't remember seeing one in quite a while (quite happy to be corrected though)

Oh no, don't get me started on the old Majestic one again.

You may recall that the Majestic was registered, on the Conservation Officer's advice. It was visited by the Committee when she was off the Island and, just three months after Registration, removed by the Committee whilst she was ill. To make such a decision in such a manner has invoked a sense of outrage around the world. Some of the responses are on the web site. Even the Secretary of the Planning Committee, in a written reply, confirmed that between Registration and de-Registration, "nothing had changed with the building."

...examination of the Majestic by Brian Morton, who had saved the Albert Memorial, pronouncing it (the Majestic) substantially sound and restorable, rubbed salt in the wound. This finding, of course, contradicted much of the report commissioned by Dandara from Roger Wools, but this was the evidence accepted by the government.

...examination of the Majestic by Brian Morton, who had saved the Albert Memorial, pronouncing it (the Majestic) substantially sound and restorable, rubbed salt in the wound. This finding, of course, contradicted much of the report commissioned by Dandara from Roger Wools, but this was the evidence accepted by the government.

This Brian Moreton Report?

I personally wonder what will happen to the number of people who were in the venue, where will they end up?

[snip]

... the security seems to have tightened up...

They get 800 people in there every Saturday night, so if they don't carry on somewhere else it looks like now's the time to open up a new nightclub.

The stories of fights in there are hugely exaggerated, in my opinion. I'm in there most Saturday nights, completely sober, and rarely see trouble.

As Mr Biffo said, the police seem to have had it in for the Venue recently.

I personally wonder what will happen to the number of people who were in the venue, where will they end up?

[snip]

... the security seems to have tightened up...

They get 800 people in there every Saturday night, so if they don't carry on somewhere else it looks like now's the time to open up a new nightclub.

The stories of fights in there are hugely exaggerated, in my opinion. I'm in there most Saturday nights, completely sober, and rarely see trouble.

As Mr Biffo said, the police seem to have had it in for the Venue recently.

I'm actually going there on Saturday night. There's a big group of us aged 18-40 and it's basically the only nightclub in Douglas where we can all stand to go and which has room for us. Also, from a girls' point of view, there is far less bitchiness and elbowing on the dancefloor than I've witnessed at the likes of Paramount. And you don't have to walk far for chips either.

This should never have been allowed, whoever says we have lost a valuable leisure resourse is 100% correct.

the thing is, any nightclub or arcade or gym or swimming pool or any other type of leisure building could make more money by converting to a million flats to flog, but they are not allowed to do that otherwise we would have nothing but housing. that is why we have a PLANNING DEPARTMENT. Who are there to stop this sort of this happening. is there anything anyone can do about this, any avenues of appeal or anything.

And Of course the Police don't like the Venue, the place means they have to do some work for once and actually get out of their cozy vehicles and brush the donut crumbs from their pants.

more shortsighted stupidness from kitty. Where do you think these ***** heads will go if theres no venue anyway? they will all try to squeeze into the pub you or me are in. You cannot blame a place for a few knobheads, yes there can be xxxxxxs in that place but xxxxxxs they will still be when the venue is no more. maybe the venue should go where dandara were refused to build, that garage on the quay bridge which is far more suitable for flats than a leisure centre site.

Archived