Albeton Live

Cam

alright, first post, dunno if its the tits means you reckon its good or bad but anyways, yeah i use ableton live have been doing for a year or so now making dnb and some house. I find it really good its really easy to use and although it is supposed to be for "live" use it works just as well as a normal production sequencer its a bit like fruity loops but a step or two more complex, Mac compatible and with loads of good effects like filters, erosion, gradual pitch adjustment etc etc and chopping up and messing around with samples beats and breaks is easy. Few bad points mixing down I find difficult, but that is more likely to be my lack of ability, laying down patterns is quite times consuming would be to do that elsewhere and bring them in and there are limits to how tight you can squash your beats together but that shouldnt be much of a prob unless you are making hardcore or gabber. You should be able to download a trial from the website, rob

I've used it for a year or 2 now

Its good for loops and effects, If you have a pile of sample loops just load them

and provided they're true loops you can mix and match to you hearts content

It has crossfaders on each track and a master one - you can assign the track to ether A or B then crossfade between the 2 (it helps if you have 2 stereo outs on your laptop/pc to monitor etc) still the tempo is matched.

You can apparently warp marker an entire track - so it follows the beat but I haven't got to grips with that yet.

As infrax says the effects are good

Major plus point

Its designed to use live so the music keeps going until you tell it to stop and on the right pc is totally glitch free.

Plus its a doddle to setup to be controlled by a midi controller

My major problem with it is that you cannot import mp3's only wav files and there is no buily in audio editor - have ot make your loops elsewhere

It has an arrange mode so you can record all the things you do then adjust them later

Its also quite good as a more traditional recording application - using a mic/external source

I generally use it in 2 ways - play samples off each other / mangle samples add drums etc then use the arranger to record vocals and additional parts and mix it down to a stereo track

I beleive the newest version has alot more midi implementation too ( whatever that means)

zippy - i use a program called audacity, you should be able to download it free, you can open any mp3 in it chop it up and mess with it then export the whole thing or a section of the track as a wav file and usee it in live

I've been meaning to try audacity - I'm using an old version of cool edit

It's just a shame that ableton doesn't have that funtionality - but thereagain maybe it would remove from the simplicity/clean looks of the application.

Still have to agree its the tits

zippy - i use a program called audacity, you should be able to download it free, you can open any mp3 in it chop it up and mess with it then export the whole thing or a section of the track as a wav file and usee it in live

I've been meaning to try audacity - I'm using an old version of cool edit

i use soundforge to cut up my loops, but there's a great file converter for free on the web, Switch, you can convert from anything to anything, and pile as many in there as you want. I found it when i had some promo's sent to me and they were copy-protected, Switch converted them no problems, now i use it to convert from mp3 to wav, and vise versa.

yeah to be honest audacity is far from brilliant prob no beter than cool edit,

audacity crashes live when i have them open at the same time and i have found it to be quite unreliable sometimes wont play the sample first time of trying . That switch program sounds proper useful for all kinds of stuff i will have to seek it out

yeah to be honest audacity is far from brilliant prob no beter than cool edit,

audacity crashes live when i have them open at the same time and i have found it to be quite unreliable sometimes wont play the sample first time of trying . That switch program sounds proper useful for all kinds of stuff i will have to seek it out

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

This is it here matey, free d/l. My best discovery for a while.

Cam,

I downloaded the Demo on Saturday night, I got further with Ableton in 2 hours than I have with Cubase in 3 years! I love it, I've been jumping round the lounge with excitement after finding there is no longer a delay between keyboard and computer (like what there was with Cubase). If you DL the demo version (unitl you buy the full one........) there is a comprehensive course on how to use it - it even explains things like the difference between midi and audio tracks. I can't seem to get my keyboard 'voices' to come through it yet but its early days and I am now aware of many 'friends' who use it so, will be phoning you all soon!

The thing where you beat match is fab - you just move the beat onto the line its all so simple in comparison to Cubase. BTW does anyone else think it is quite similar to Cubase? my friend says its nothing like it but I am finding it is, in someways but not in others.

Have fun Mr Cam, you'll love it! :P

Archived