Where Would You Like To Fly To?

Fossils

'Apologies if this has been done before.

The airlines seem to operate mostly on statistics from existing routes. Ignore that idea, and simply list the top (or more) British Isles airports that you would be likely to fly to/from, if you had the choice. Perhaps, if we get a good range, we should start a poll.

62.jpg

My list:

1. Southampton
  2. Belfast International
  3. Bristol
  4. Teeside
  5. Manchester
  6. Birmingham
  7. Derry
  8. Inverness
  9. Cork
  10. Galway

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Amsterdam

Paris

Vegas

Aitutaki

Carlisle

First two, plus somewhere on the Med. Nice, Barcelona? We don't need any more UK links; there are already too many marginal destinations. I'd be happier with four CHEAP flights a day to Liverpool and nowhere else.

S

We don't need any more UK links; there are already too many marginal destinations.

Agreed...dont see the need to fly to Manchester/Birmingham, Bristol/Southampton...I would rather suffer with extra travel in the Uk to get some coverage further afield.

Some of us need to travel on business, and UK hubs are an essential part of that.

Heathrow was ideal, Gatwick a second-best alternative. London City doesn't work for many onward connections, but a lot of bankers probably like it.

So Manchester and Birmingham are useful, coastal towns less so. Dublin has good connections.

Seriously though...

I think the following are essential connections:

LGW

London City

Dublin

Belfast

Liverpool

Manchester

If I had to add one then it would be somewhere on the continent. Amsterdam, Paris, Brussels are all good hubs and also good for business. However realistically I can't see it happening.

Slightly off topic. Someone I know was telling me a friend of theirs was flying from the US to the UK in a private plane and was going to stop off in the IOM to meet him (how the other half live). When he found out the landing charges here he said bugger that and flew to Liverpool instead. Are the charges here that bad?

A regular (Even just once a day) flight to a European hub such as Amsterdam or Paris would give people the opportunity to connect to international destinations without being forced to travel through London.

This would be a useful addition to the timetable.

I would vote for major UK destinations - London, Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham and then in the UK I don't really mind - but mybe Leeds/Bradford for the North East, Southampton for the South and possibly Norwich (but maybe Stansted is better). I would also like Dublin and Cork to be accessible.

A few weeks ago I wrote to the CEO of Aer Arran, Paul Schütz, to ask whether it would be feasible to operate an IOM to Cork service that could link up with their seasonal services from there to Lorient, La Rochelle and Nantes - and to provide access to the south west of Ireland. So far have not had a reply. Will let you know if I do.

Archived