[BBC News] Responses to pension changes

Newsbot

Problem with this whole system is that it's tiered in such a way that the ordinary workers are the ones most likely to lose out.

I'll happily accept changes to my pension scheme as long as the MHK's system is changed in the same way. Likewise, I'm a great supporter of the police, but wonder why 'police, teachers and judiciary' are exceptions to the the review.

Is this a matter you will be discussing on air? Why are certain schemes excluded from the review? Do the individual benefits and costs of the excluded schemes differ greatly from others? Are the currently excluded schemes going to be subject to a public review? Is it fair to taxpayers not to include these schemes in a review?

Oxygen of publicity?

Perhaps you might also suggest a reduction in the number and range of occupations contained within the Public Service Pension scheme.

Problem with this whole system is that it's tiered in such a way that the ordinary workers are the ones most likely to lose out.

I'll happily accept changes to my pension scheme as long as the MHK's system is changed in the same way. Likewise, I'm a great supporter of the police, but wonder why 'police, teachers and judiciary' are exceptions to the the review.

The first thing the MHKs did was to exempt their own pension scheme from the review.

What's the point of being in charge if you can't tilt the playing field in your direction?

The first thing the MHKs did was to exempt their own pesnion scheme from the review.

What's the point of being in charge if you can't tilt the playing field in your direction?

Cynically I feel I have to agree with this sentiment. And then note for sake of having someone to rely on who can enforce your rule in the event of unrest, also take steps keep the police and judiciary happy. Maybe the teachers are excluded from the review because our rulers wish to keep students from becoming politicised?

The police and teachers schemes both demand comparatively high levels of employee contributions. The draft proposals from Hyman Robertson suggest a contribution level of around 6% whereas the police and teachers schemes currently run around 11%. If these groups of employees were brought in, they could end up paying less than they currently do which kinda defeats the idea.

Archived