Eyesores On Tt Course

Moghrey Mie

I presume those sheds and structures that have appeared around the TT course are lookout/commentary points.

Do they need planning permission?

After 100 years of running the TT surely we could have some decent looking modules and not a collection of dodgy garden sheds and wooden shelters tied down with twine.

Why not a good design for the 21st century that fits in with the environment?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm guessing its due to cost, which personally i'm glad their doing it as cheap as they can (wooden huts), rather than top of the range buildings only used 3 weeks of the year!

maybe, but how often do these little sheds get blown down and need new replacements?? there was one on its back by the 32nd a few weeks ago. i'd rather see a bit more spent on something with a long lifespan or even proper brickbuilt units at the necessary points like the bigger units already out there at the likes of brandywell and windy etc. larchlap sentry posts up the mountain aren't really the best tool for the job. IF they took them down between the TT and MGP?? then maybe they could last longer. but the local winds still blow hard in the summer months.

Just as much to the point, who has paid for these things? I would hate to think my tax money has been spent on them, whatever they cost. If marshals, etc. want shelters they can pay for them!

I really shouldn't rise to this but............As a marshal I think asking us to buy our own equipment is perhaps taking it a tad to far! As I am sure you are aware all the TT and MGP marshals are volunteers and spend a lot of time standing around in the Manx liquid sunshine. A little bit of shelter is really not a lot to ask.

Debs

The fact that you are volunteers is completely irrelevant - you presumably want to do the job and get some sort of satisfaction from it. Why shouldn't you pay for your pleasures instead of expecting someone else to pick up the tab? Parasites!

The fact that you are volunteers is completely irrelevant - you presumably want to do the job and get some sort of satisfaction from it. Why shouldn't you pay for your pleasures instead of expecting someone else to pick up the tab? Parasites!

i suppose you expect the firemen to buy their own fire engines too then?? perhaps you should change evil for knob??

When i read 'Eyesores on the TT course' i immediately thought of those rememberance plaques that are scattered everywhere

The firemans thing isnt a good analogy as that is full time employment and not a sport

I like helping out with the local yacht club races by doing the flag and marker thing from the shore. Would it be reasonable for me to expect the IoM Gvt to build or supply me with a shelter on the promenade

I note that you make the standard response of trying to change the subject when you can't produce a sensible answer. Even so, you could have tried it in a less ridiculous manner! Or perhaps you really are incapable of seeing the difference - in which case you are stupid.

No it is your post that is irrelevant, the volunteers dont have to pay for the sheds because the govt has been spending your taxes (specifically yours) on these sheds.

try and keep up.

I like helping out with the local yacht club races by doing the flag and marker thing from the shore. Would it be reasonable for me to expect the IoM Gvt to build or supply me with a shelter on the promenade

How much money does the Government make from the Yacht Races?

No, I thought not.

For as long as the TT is a profit-making enterprise, it's unreasonable to expect the volunteer marshals to pay the cost of travel and accomodation, give their time and effort freely, and then ask them to pay for their own equipment.

"For as long as the TT is a profit-making enterprise,". Please produce some evidence that this is the case. And if it is, just who makes the profit (apart from the usual suspects such as the Racket, Breweries and rip-off petrol companies)? The Government i.e. the Taxpayer? No, I thought not. Why is it that the Petrolheads think they should have a free ride on the backs of the rest of us? As I said, Parasites!

Archived