Eyesores On Tt Course

Moghrey Mie

How much money does the Government make from the Yacht Races?

No, I thought not.

I could do one of those tedious fixed your post things by switching Yacht Races for Motorcycle Races.

Because we don't know, our gut reaction is to say that the TT makes the Government money, and it certainly makes some Manx people money, but the Government? We know the DTL's budget is £3m - although they splurged an addition £700k last year, we don't know the cost to Health Services, Police, DOT etc.

How much is received back in Government coffers through extra income tax and VAT? You never see that figure.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fact that you are volunteers is completely irrelevant - you presumably want to do the job and get some sort of satisfaction from it. Why shouldn't you pay for your pleasures instead of expecting someone else to pick up the tab? Parasites!

No it is your post that is irrelevant, the volunteers dont have to pay for the sheds because the govt has been spending your taxes (specifically yours) on these sheds.

try and keep up.

The usual irrational response from you, Lao. Or can't you see that? And yes, it is MY taxes I am concerned about. I sincerely hope that in these straitened financial times the amount squandered on Motor Sport by the Government will be severely reduced.

"For as long as the TT is a profit-making enterprise,". Please produce some evidence that this is the case. And if it is, just who makes the profit (apart from the usual suspects such as the Racket, Breweries and rip-off petrol companies)? The Government i.e. the Taxpayer? No, I thought not. Why is it that the Petrolheads think they should have a free ride on the backs of the rest of us? As I said, Parasites!

keep calling them parasites E.G. if you throw enough shit sooner or later somethings gotta stick.

and the evidence for the TT profitability should be withheld until you provide you evidence that "petrolheads think they should have a free ride on the rest of us".

and the funniest thing is those sheds are there to stay, this complaint is completely impotent.

"For as long as the TT is a profit-making enterprise,". Please produce some evidence that this is the case. And if it is, just who makes the profit (apart from the usual suspects such as the Racket, Breweries and rip-off petrol companies)? The Government i.e. the Taxpayer? No, I thought not. Why is it that the Petrolheads think they should have a free ride on the backs of the rest of us? As I said, Parasites!

keep calling them parasites E.G. if you throw enough shit sooner or later somethings gotta stick.

and the evidence for the TT profitability should be withheld until you provide you evidence that "petrolheads think they should have a free ride on the rest of us".

and the funniest thing is those sheds are there to stay, this complaint is completely impotent.

The evidence is in the postings - try reading them. And just how do you conclude that the eyesores are here to stay?

The usual irrational response from you, Lao.

close, but what you can actually sense from my posts is utter contempt.

I sincerely hope that in these straitened financial times the amount squandered on Motor Sport by the Government will be severely reduced.

this is a rational argument, it could have been the basis for rational debate, and would have been treated with respect as a reasonable opinion by parties on both sides of the fence.

its a pity that you posted things like this first.

If marshals, etc. want shelters they can pay for them!

Parasites!

Why is it that the Petrolheads.....

when you can't produce a sensible answer.

in which case you are stupid.

i bet your cant even see the difference between 1) hoping that the govt spending on motor sport is decreased and 2) that the marshalls should buy the sheds themselves.

The evidence is in the postings - try reading them.

im not quite sure what the social norm is for replying to such an immature come back is.............your momma?

And just how do you conclude that the eyesores are here to stay?

because the sheds are there now, and this is such a non issue that no one will ever do anything about it.

The fact that you are volunteers is completely irrelevant - you presumably want to do the job and get some sort of satisfaction from it. Why shouldn't you pay for your pleasures instead of expecting someone else to pick up the tab? Parasites!

No it is your post that is irrelevant, the volunteers dont have to pay for the sheds because the govt has been spending your taxes (specifically yours) on these sheds.

try and keep up.

I'm not bothered who pays for them I just think they are an eyesore and should be of a better quality and design.

try and keep up.

I'm not bothered who pays for them I just think they are an eyesore and should be of a better quality and design.

im cool with that, i think that the design is probably about cost, but old stone might look better.

That's what I'd say if I wanted a free ride and I didn't want people to know I was getting it!

TBH I think we should keep the TT even if it ran at a small loss (say under a million), but the refusal to give basic information is very worrying. How much is it actually costing us?

That's what I'd say if I wanted a free ride and I didn't want people to know I was getting it!

TBH I think we should keep the TT even if it ran at a small loss (say under a million), but the refusal to give basic information is very worrying. How much is it actually costing us?

but im not a petrolhead, i dont own a bike/car or even drive.

i agree both on keeping the TT providing that it doesnt make (too much of) a loss and that the refusal to give out figures is wrong.

but it must be very hard to really work out the impact the TT has on the Islands Economy, is there even a satisfactory way to measure the secondary and tertiary effects that tourism has, and the stimulation the external source of revenue provides to an economy.

I'll try some ballpark figures for a usual (ie not the 100th etc) TT

20,000 visitors staying 10 days (I gather from friends that most stay for just 1 week these years) - assume accomodation + food at £50 @ day = £10M - this money would be fairly widely distributed via homestay, campsites, teas etc(a mainstay of many Methodist/church groups) + drink and some entertainment

(should point out that all this is not profit - supplied food needs to be bought, labour costs etc) - maybe 50% is additional revenue ?

Ferry costs - most going to Racket as the boats would sail anyway + the increased fares minus cost of hiring freight vessels probably contribute a fair amount to profits though this now goes off island

secondary effects - Duke video (sale of TT films etc), live TV rights - possibly £5M/year ; additional publicity bringing in vistors outside of TT (? do we want the business as many are likely to be those attracted by deregulated roads )

costs -

direct marketing + DoT largesse to visiting celebs etc - seems around £3M

additional road maintenance - over 50% of DoTs road budget is apparently spent on course

additional hospital costs - ?

additional police costs - overtime etc

each major RTI involving death (+?serious injury) I've seen costed at £500k+

costs to schools (TT clashes with some exams), costs to those inconvenienced by road closures (there are UK costs to each additional minute spent in jams - do these apply here), postponed operations etc

I don't think it matters if it goes back directly to government - whether it remains on-Island is key (I should have mostly disregarded labour costs for services rendered in my figures as few people are brought over just for TT) - the path via Government might however mean that some groups benefit considerably at a cost borne by the majority (ie do 'petrolheads' get their kicks cheaply as compared to say classical music enthusiasts (eg how much government money goes towards the Mannanan festival at Port Erin (broadcast on R3 over this last week) which might well give different publicity for the Island)

Archived