Eyesores On Tt Course

Moghrey Mie

But is that to £8m to the economy or £8m that works it's way back to the Government through taxation?

Hmmm - tax if I remember right. Can't find where I read the £8M figure, but positive I did, might have been Hansard somewhere. TT 2007 put in around £48M into the overall economy I do remember them saying.

It's a difficult figure to calculate and one that abounds with propaganda no doubt. Just what does the average visitor spend for instance really?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burger van operators would I think put little back into the Island economy - usually it seems non-Manx, vans (even if taxed are UK) and the contents of said burgers I assume cheapest possible imports via Liverpool from South America), they probably consume costs due to additional adulterated-food inspectors needed - must admit I always found the £48M for 2007 TT difficult to asccept with each visitor putting it seems about £1k back into economy.

Burger van operators would I think put little back into the Island economy - usually it seems non-Manx, vans (even if taxed are UK) and the contents of said burgers I assume cheapest possible imports via Liverpool from South America), they probably consume costs due to additional adulterated-food inspectors needed - must admit I always found the £48M for 2007 TT difficult to asccept with each visitor putting it seems about £1k back into economy.

that does seem steep, 1k per person.

that does seem steep, 1k per person.

To come back to the topic. I was wondering whether the sheds and structures that are being put up round the TT course could be of better design and less of an eyesore.

Frances - No, I think it does matter what makes its way back to Government, otherwise it's just a convoluted method of redistributing wealth from the finance sector to burger van owners.

just a miniature version of society as a whole then. like taxes paying benefits, a way to redistribute workers revenue to non workers who don't contribute.

I'll try some ballpark figures for a usual (ie not the 100th etc) TT

secondary effects - Duke video (sale of TT films etc), live TV rights - possibly £5M/year

In your dreams, Mrs.

Don't know where you get the £5 million from, but it's not live anyway, and it wouldn't matter if it was because it would still never make that much money.

Try this : TV - pay North One £500,000 to film the TT (and take the money to London), pay Signature Sponsorship £300,000 to promote the TT (and take the money to London) - those figures from this year's Pink Pages - and hope that income from DVD and TV sales will be at least half of that total, but don't count on it balancing the books.

That aside, if the TT didn't make a profit for the Isle of Man there would be no point LOSING money on it every year, so it wouldn't be happening (although there is so far no sign of a politician brave enough to tell the various pubs, restaurants, hotels and homestays that it's all off, so maybe I'm wrong). But common-sense says that the people wo DO have access to those P&L numbers which taxpayers can't be trusted with MUST be seeing a positive balance on the bottom line.

Ergo, the TT is a profit-making enterprise, and the people who organise it (DTL, there's no Bernie) ought to make it safe and foot the bill for making it safe.

Thing is, I bet the TT makes an embarrassingly large contribution to GNP - say 10% - but we'll never acknowledge it because it will make the Government accountable for a safety record no-one wants to own.

In your dreams, Mrs.

Don't know where you get the £5 million from, but it's not live anyway, and it wouldn't matter if it was because it would still never make that much money.

Try this : TV - pay North One £500,000 to film the TT (and take the money to London), pay Signature Sponsorship £300,000 to promote the TT (and take the money to London) - those figures from this year's Pink Pages - and hope that income from DVD and TV sales will be at least half of that total, but don't count on it balancing the books.

That aside, if the TT didn't make a profit for the Isle of Man there would be no point LOSING money on it every year, so it wouldn't be happening (although there is so far no sign of a politician brave enough to tell the various pubs, restaurants, hotels and homestays that it's all off, so maybe I'm wrong). But common-sense says that the people wo DO have access to those P&L numbers which taxpayers can't be trusted with MUST be seeing a positive balance on the bottom line.

Thing is, I bet the TT makes an embarrassingly large contribution to GNP - say 10% - but we'll never acknowledge it because it will make the Government accountable for a safety record no-one wants to own.

I look at the scale of Duke and reckon their turnover has to be over £5M/year - they need continual new material thus I was guessing the TT (& MGP) possibly account for half their DVDs - I assumed the TV companies paid for TT broadcasts - manx radio also makes some income

The second part is I'm afraid begging the question - just because it is on each year does not mean it continues to make a profit - it certainly did in previous years of mass tourism when it was probably much cheaper to run etc - 10% of GDP is impossible as in 2006/2007 GDP was over £1.8B and no one claims the TT brings in £180M ! -

I seem to remember some DTL spod saying something about them having page after page of coverage of the TT in Motorcycle News, and that it would cost thousands to get that coverage, suggesting it should be factored into any P'n'L. But if you weren't trying to attract bikers to a motorcycle race, you wouldn't need to spend thousands on advertising in MCN. So the coverage in biking press is irrelevant.

But common-sense says that the people wo DO have access to those P&L numbers which taxpayers can't be trusted with MUST be seeing a positive balance on the bottom line.

I'm not sure common-sense plays much part in the TT. Why must they be seeing a positive balance? Those people are politicians none of whom want to face the electorate as "the man who killed the TT".

I wonder are they actually bothering to calculate it out of fear fo what it might say.

Archived