Island Media Coverage A 'bumper Crop'

bluemonday

On MR

Clicky

The Department of Tourism and Leisure says it’s reaped a bumper crop of press coverage for the Island over the last year.

Wonderful

Anyone spotted a tourist yet?

"So far this year, the department’s communications arm estimates it's attracted the equivalent of £200,000 of advertising through media coverage."

That's peanuts, when you think how much it costs to advertise on ITV. I'd love to know which bright spark came up with that figure, and how he calculated it, it's pretty meaningless - especially coming from 'communications' IMO. On the other hand, if we had got the airport director to calculate it, it would have been in the £trillions already.

I did see two tourists (cameras, bag and sunglasses) in Laxey the other day, and nearly ran them down in shock.

On MR

Clicky

The Department of Tourism and Leisure says it’s reaped a bumper crop of press coverage for the Island over the last year.

Wonderful

Anyone spotted a tourist yet?

Clutching at straws to justify failure and incompetence if you ask me. This is all because marketing spend is down because they don't have any money so they are trying to show the "value" of publicity they may or may not have got.

When is this joke department of government going to be finally shown for what it is: a costly and miserable failure?

Actually, I have spotted a surprising amount of tourists this year, particularly just over the last few weeks.

Me as well, Peel campsite is doing well and i have seen lots of English reg cars about. Peel brekie was packed this afternoon.

Loads of different languages about as well.

"So far this year, the department’s communications arm estimates it's attracted the equivalent of £200,000 of advertising through media coverage."

That's peanuts, when you think how much it costs to advertise on ITV. I'd love to know which bright spark came up with that figure, and how he calculated it, it's pretty meaningless - especially coming from 'communications' IMO. On the other hand, if we had got the airport director to calculate it, it would have been in the £trillions already.

I couldn't find my tablets tonight so I am even slower than usual. What is the relevance of attracting advertising? I thought that the DoTL were supposed to attract tourists.

It is great if tourism numbers are up - no doubt due to the Isle of Sam advertisements...

Thought I heard the other day that sales of campervans in the UK were up and that there was actually a shortage of them. This was due to families deciding to holiday in the UK/Sterling area and to try and cut costs. There was also that report that the Scottish Islands were experiencing a 40% increase in tourists this year.

It will be very interesting to see the figures for the number of UK and Irish citizens who have decided to holiday at home this year - the early indications were that there had been a massive increase in numbers of people decisiding not to travel abroad. I gather that there is even a new word 'staycation' to describe a holiday based on your own home.

I couldn't find my tablets tonight so I am even slower than usual. What is the relevance of attracting advertising? I thought that the DoTL were supposed to attract tourists.

It is great if tourism numbers are up - no doubt due to the Isle of Sam advertisements...

Thought I heard the other day that sales of campervans in the UK were up and that there was actually a shortage of them. This was due to families deciding to holiday in the UK/Sterling area and to try and cut costs. There was also that report that the Scottish Islands were experiencing a 40% increase in tourists this year.

It will be very interesting to see the figures for the number of UK and Irish citizens who have decided to holiday at home this year - the early indications were that there had been a massive increase in numbers of people decisiding not to travel abroad. I gather that there is even a new word 'staycation' to describe a holiday based on your own home.

From experience there does seem to be a few more tourist about than last year. I'd say it's mostly down to the TV ad campaign, which although i think is naff has been very successful - one of the few things the DTL has got right recently. But this constant self-congratulation is pointless and annoying. We all know the DTL are a useless shower of shites, and no amount of saying how great they are will change people's minds!

With nearly 60% of the population not born here, they are of course also counting relatives visiting too for the summer. If I live in, say, Manchester and visit my rellies in Birmingham - am I on holiday (a tourist) or am I a visitor or what?

My point is I suppose, that visitors and tourists are very different beasts IMO, with greatly differing spending patterns. Especially with meals and accomodation for example.

Archived