Island Media Coverage A 'bumper Crop'

bluemonday

With nearly 60% of the population not born here, they are of course also counting relatives visiting too for the summer. If I live in, say, Manchester and visit my rellies in Birmingham - am I on holiday (a tourist) or am I a visitor or what?

My point is I suppose, that visitors and tourists are very different beasts IMO, with greatly differing spending patterns. Especially with meals and accomodation for example.

Do the numbers also include anyone coming here on business? I guess DoTL can tell them, they are the ones on the beach with the rolled-up pinstripe trousers.

Despite the best efforts of the DTL, there does seem to have been plenty of tourists here this year. I'm sure that they were impressed, at Peel today, by the regular tossbags who who hog the harbour cafe tables long after they've finished eating and drinking.

Thought I heard the other day that sales of campervans in the UK were up and that there was actually a shortage of them. This was due to families deciding to holiday in the UK/Sterling area and to try and cut costs.

How is buying a camper van cheaper than going abroad? I'd have thought it would increase your costs of a holiday.

How is buying a camper van cheaper than going abroad? I'd have thought it would increase your costs of a holiday.
I think Sliunky means the cost of the campervan, a point I agree with. Sales of tents may be symptomatic of the recession, but not sales of campervans, I would have said.

I don't know either - but apparently it is a trend in the UK this year. Maybe people using redundancy money? The bankers buy the Winnebagos and the workers the old Commers? I assume that some people may use them instead of a car?

Presumably it does not take that big a spike in numbers being bought to actually create a shortage.

Still from reports in the media people a lot ore people seem to be staying close to home this year. No doubt weak sterling has an influence on this too.

Anyone see this link - Top Nosh by DTL - two of those have been the subject of scathing threads on here and one had been notorious for dire service for years.

Usual DTL rubbish.

Nothing on that list is particularly inspiring and as you say some have been clearly and repeatedly identified on here as poor.

I'd either look and ask for views here on MF or use http://www.wheresgoodtoeat.com/

Archived