Go On Then, What Are You Kistening To

Bananaman

Bloody hell. When I was a teen Q magazine had a obits for musicians and apart from the occasional suicide or od it was always old blues guys, later fifties rockers and by the time I was a Uni it was soul singers and the occasional Searcher or Trogg. Gradually, the artists dying got younger and younger 70's Proggers and members of Tavares. Then Bowie and Prince, Punks bands that were in the charts when I was at school. But now it's synth poppers, grunge singers, and indie guys. It'll be one of the Madchester crowd next, and after them it'll be Brit Poppers - and they're the same age as me!

Anyway, been kistening to a lot of Microdisney, Fatima Mansions and his solo stuff since Cathal Coughlin's death. I loved how Microdisney blended Coughlin's rage with Sean O'Hagan's classic pop arrangements. The Fatima Mansions, I thought suffered a bit without that contrast but they were raw live. I loved the video below from the great SnubTV show, though. His early 2000's solo cds were great - listened to this song today

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=cathel+coughlin+denial+of+the+right+to+dream+lyrics

Excellent obit here - https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-40879283.html

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2022 at 1:58 AM, quilp said:

With Michael "hey mister tambourine man" Clarke on the kit. Couldn't get into Gram Parsons as much. The Byrds though...

There's three and a bit ex-Byrds on that album (and two more joined in later incarnations).

Never really understood Eagles's fans rejection of Gram Parsons. It's like the music industry brainwashed them in their youth.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...