The Tt Safety Debate

jonnyrotten

I like Guy Martin, loves his cuppa.

True, but 99% of the replies on here are from people who haven't or don't race,

I don't race.

I have however picked up the pieces on hundreds of RTAS , a couple of plane crashes, a few explosions, bout a dozen suicides and various other jobs where people have been crippled, smashed, crushed, dismembered, beheaded and so on.

No great call there, there's not a few ex servicemen on here who have probably seen the same sort of mess humans can be turned into.

Also a Marshall and one of my companys supports the TT by free services.

I've also ridden a bike since the mid 70s.

Care to tell me why I shouldn't have an opinion?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Guy Martin, loves his cuppa.

True, but 99% of the replies on here are from people who haven't or don't race,

I don't race.

I have however picked up the pieces on hundreds of RTAS , a couple of plane crashes, a few explosions, bout a dozen suicides and various other jobs where people have been crippled, smashed, crushed, dismembered, beheaded and so on.

No great call there, there's not a few ex servicemen on here who have probably seen the same sort of mess humans can be turned into.

Also a Marshall and one of my companys supports the TT by free services.

I've also ridden a bike since the mid 70s.

I haven’t implied anything of the sort with my previous posts.

I was merely pointing out that most if not all of the replies were not from those that race or take part actively in the racing.

I wasn't suggesting that as you/I or anyone else didn't race, that we couldn't have an opinion, but that we should welcome and accept the opinions of those that do race. After all, it's these individuals and their safety that we are openly discussing is it not!!

I don't race.

Yeah. You're clearly a f**kin jinx!

Interesting debate - I would be more swayed to Johnny Rotten's views if just ONE competitor or ex competitor, or a wife or widow came on and spoke against the TT or MGP. Hasn't happened yet.

As for speeds - return to the traditional 500cc maximum. The new lap records have become meaningless -

It could lead to a pure racing bike again, and probably reduce lap speeds by 8-10 mph, maybe save a few lives.

Formula 1 cars bear little to relation to garage bought vehicles - they are developed purely for racing at its acme/peak

Racing bikes however are being developed with more than half an eye on producing a production road version for profit. That's the wrong way round for improving technology.

(Return of two strokes would be nice as well.)

Simply because it has a bearing on this, I'd like to say hello to the two tw*ts on race bikes who buzzed me and all the rest of the traffic on the way out to Foxdale this morning. Not a mile outside of Douglas and they're testing bikes in Saturday morning traffic.

We all KNOW they weren't insured, never mind road legal in any other sense.

I suppose they think because what they do when they go racing here is so dangerous that a little bit more risk won't matter. And why should we mind? They know the risks, after all...

And plod let Dunlop get away with it at the TT (after penalising a car driver who crashed alone in the same vicinity but on a different day). HE MUST have been driving dangerously, was the reasoning, or he wouldn't have crashed, but obviously TT racers know better.

Anyway, the message was clear and this is the result. T*ssers making life dangerous for the rest of us, because they know it doesn't matter - because the Isle of Man doesn't object as long as the cash keeps rolling in.

• 2 weeks later...

Having listened to the buzz of helicopters flying overhead it's reminded me about the role of our Hospital during the four weeks of the year we have practicing and racing, I've heard but don't know if it's true that for this period all operations etc are suspended so the medical services can provide facilities for not only the racers who injure themselves but also visiting bikers who fall off and require treatment as well? If this is the case then is it not putting an additional four weeks onto waiting lists?

Having listened to the buzz of helicopters flying overhead it's reminded me about the role of our Hospital during the four weeks of the year we have practicing and racing, I've heard but don't know if it's true that for this period all operations etc are suspended so the medical services can provide facilities for not only the racers who injure themselves but also visiting bikers who fall off and require treatment as well? If this is the case then is it not putting an additional four weeks onto waiting lists?

I would suggest that you have been talking to the man in the pub, the one who also claims Des Lynham has a moustache because he has F*** off tattooed on his upper lip.

Oh dear.

Its true, at least for orthopedics, I was sue to have a femoral nail removed 4 weeks back, but due to a cock up it was put back. They would have done it in the last week of August but and I quote Mr. Wrights secretary "we don't schedule operations during Grand Prix"

My dad also had his hip replacement postponed 2 weeks to accommodate TT.

As a matter of interest, the Helicopter/s used for the MGP is/are funded by the MGP Supporters Club with donations from fund raising etc. I don't believe it is funded by the government.

As a matter of interest, the Helicopter/s used for the MGP is/are funded by the MGP Supporters Club with donations from fund raising etc. I don't believe it is funded by the government.

but it is scandalous the whole case. i knew there was a helicopter fund, but i always assumed this was just used as a top up for items above and beyond the 'necessary'. but relying on charity to fund a vital part of getting the racing going is wrong.

but it is scandalous the whole case. i knew there was a helicopter fund, but i always assumed this was just used as a top up for items above and beyond the 'necessary'. but relying on charity to fund a vital part of getting the racing going is wrong.

That's right. The TT and MGP should be paying for this.

In fact, why have we not got a medical helicopter on call all year round. Or is it just people who choose to race who should get preferrential treatment as opposed to taxpayers who fund the Island's NHS scheme all year round

In fact, why have we not got a medical helicopter on call all year round. Or is it just people who choose to race who should get preferrential treatment as opposed to taxpayers who fund the Island's NHS scheme all year round

You really think that's jsutified given the size and population of the Island...dude...chillax.

Archived