[BBC News] Kayaker meets 13ft basking shark

Newsbot

Nobody's commented on what the poor old shark had to go through - up close and personal with one the Island's finest. Probably got a fag stubbed out on his nose for his trouble. Mind you, I see the lady was French, so I retract, it was probably a Gauloise. :cool:

I use a kayak jim and do not feel the need to be right on top of them, not because i am worried, if it shark wishs to swim towards me that fine, if it wishes to keep its distance thats also fine, i've been alot closer just not always had the camera with me

what piss's me off is............... Ooo rant time :o

last friday while out in our kayaks myself and 3 other friends doing a bit of fishing and mooching around some of the coves south of port erin, on the way back from the sound while the 3 of us where fishing one of the Boys decided to go back and follow the rocks along back to pt erin and stumbled upon a lone basking shark heading south into Bay Fine, In close pursuit was a a small woodern diesel powered boat travelling along side the shark keeping it 'Pinned' to the rocks,as i paddled over to my friend to say we where heading back to the beach and he pointed out the shark it was then as i paddled past the boat the skipper came out with the remark of ' Don't menace the shark' i thought 'wtf' your the one in the clunky noisey boat that is trying to get as close as he can as he was less than 20 metres at times while under power, i thought the rule for boats was if in the close proximity of a shark they had to be in neutral.

copy and paste from here..www.manxbaskingsharkwatch.com

Boat Control in Basking Shark Hotspots.

· Restrict your speed to below 6 knots and avoid sudden speed changes.

· Do not approach closer than 100m.

· When closer than 100m switch the engine to neutral to avoid injuring sharks.

· Avoid disturbing groups of sharks as you may disrupt courtship behaviour.

· Do not approach areas where basking sharks have been observed breaching.

· Jet-skis seriously disturb basking sharks, they should stay at least 500m away.

· For every shark visible on the surface there are likely to be many more just below.

· Avoid sailing your boat along the foamy, plankton-filled tidal fronts. They are often full of jellyfish and floating seaweed. This is where the sharks feed.

Just to make it clear, we did all of the above when the photo was taken of the back of Bradda, in fact we turned the out board off and the shark came to us not us to it.

There was a couple of kayaks about at the time (photo thaken a couple of years ago)

The Guidance adout jet-skis is an anti jet-ski thing not a love your basking shark thing, an outboard on the back of a rib or fishing boat with a big prop, Yacht with a huge keel have far more potential to do damage than a small flat bottomed ski. How many does the sea cat wipe out each year?

Basking Sharks in the main are not disturbed by people or boats so long as they're not deliberatly setting out to be arse holes. (people not Sharks) they often come in to Port Erin bay and swim inbetween the sailing dingies, people, boats etc. they are not fazed by people sploshing about.

When the huge barges carrying the rock armor for the runway extention were getting tugged in curning up all the water, making a huge amount of noise moving masive 40 ton Rocks about the place where were the Sharks? did the swim of 'cos they didn't want to be disturbed? No did they bolloks the swam straight in to the middle of all the commotion almost every day.

"I've got a degree in Sharks" scientist types are probably the worst culprits for disturbing them chasing them around in boats stabbing satellite tags in to them, but thats ok 'cos they've got a degree!!

"I've got a degree in Sharks" scientist types are probably the worst culprits for disturbing them chasing them around in boats stabbing satellite tags in to them, but thats ok 'cos they've got a degree!!

I don't think so. The scientists are doing useful research to widen our knowledge of the sharks. People used to think that basking sharks hibernated during the winter but satellite tagging showed that they actually moved to deeper waters. The more we know about them the better we can protect them (from us).

How many of the boats and kayaks that surround the sharks at weekends do you think are full of scientists?

Just to make it clear, we did all of the above when the photo was taken of the back of Bradda, in fact we turned the out board off and the shark came to us not us to it.

There was a couple of kayaks about at the time (photo thaken a couple of years ago)

The Guidance adout jet-skis is an anti jet-ski thing not a love your basking shark thing, an outboard on the back of a rib or fishing boat with a big prop, Yacht with a huge keel have far more potential to do damage than a small flat bottomed ski. How many does the sea cat wipe out each year?

Basking Sharks in the main are not disturbed by people or boats so long as they're not deliberatly setting out to be arse holes. (people not Sharks) they often come in to Port Erin bay and swim inbetween the sailing dingies, people, boats etc. they are not fazed by people sploshing about.

When the huge barges carrying the rock armor for the runway extention were getting tugged in curning up all the water, making a huge amount of noise moving masive 40 ton Rocks about the place where were the Sharks? did the swim of 'cos they didn't want to be disturbed? No did they bolloks the swam straight in to the middle of all the commotion almost every day.

Sorry Jim it was not directed at you , i just had an annoying encounter with a 'do gooder' and 'vented my spleen' most boat owners are sensible but this guy really got my goat and if he had been alone i would have set about him with the large Calig that was within my reach,

Basking sharks are not dangerous, Bellyup.

Sorry i thought you said b**king sharks.

God, you are so predictible!

I try to please :)

Really?

Piss off then, and please everybody.

S

Basking sharks are not dangerous, Bellyup.

Sorry i thought you said b**king sharks.

God, you are so predictible!

I try to please :)

Really?

Piss off then, and please everybody.

S

You are so predictable zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Archived