Secure Unit

Moghrey Mie

usually offenders too young to go to Jurby.

or they go there as a place of safety for their own well being.

I think most of the ones that end up in their are in care of some sort anyway.

they are subject of court orders or their by social services direction

Methinks this is a rhetorical questrion and MM is not expecting a direct answer, but is hoping for an oblique reply from which he can open a debate on the real point he is wanting to make. I could be wrong .....

The Unit is operated by The St Christopher's Fellowship http://www.stchris.org.uk/pages/what-we-do...sle-of-man.html who are contracted to provide the service by the DHSS.

Children (AFAIK) can only be referred there via the Courts so statistics would have to be maintained by

1. Courts Division of the General Registry - although family Courts can be tricky to get data from.

2. Social Services Division of DHSS - They must pay St Christophers per child so will have to know.

3. St Christophers themselves - Again, they'll have to know for billing purposes.

I don't think anyone would go there voluntarily. By it's nature secure means locked up and you can't be locked up without some sort of legal process and rights. For a short initial period if someone was an immediate danger to themselves or others, I suspect there is a mechanism for immediate detention but even then, it would have to go in front of a Court pdq.

Methinks this is a rhetorical questrion and MM is not expecting a direct answer, but is hoping for an oblique reply from which he can open a debate on the real point he is wanting to make. I could be wrong .....

How cynical of you Gladys ;)

Strangely enough I would actually like to know how many young people go there and why.

Cheers manxy, pretty much as I'd thought. The debate was some years ago though and it would be nice to see some up to date numbers.

A reuest to DHSS should yield a reply as its hardly a secret however failing that get your MHK to table a question similar to Quentin's.

Therefore to answer the OP

How many - You'll need to ask.

Why - At the direction of a Court or via a directive issued by the director of Social Services (on grounds of personal or community safety). The unit is I guess in laymans terms, a prison for children.

Strangely enough I would actually like to know how many young people go there and why.

Isn't this what happens in the Golden Compass?

Page 7&8 question number 4 from the House of Keys, Tuesday 25th March 2003

(This is a pdf document)

http://www.tynwald.org.im/papers/hansards/...kqh25032003.pdf

Thanks. That is very helpful.

It would be interesting to know how many young people are being held now 6 years later and the reasons for them being held in secure accommodation.

Archived