Tynwald Approval Ratings

Declan

Not bothered about reads of this thread, it's going to be tiny. I just want as many folk as possible to complete the poll, I keep contriving ways to keep this thread near the top of the active topics. So your trolling is helping me.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not bothered about reads of this thread, it's going to be tiny. I just want as many folk as possible to complete the poll, I keep contriving ways to keep this thread near the top of the active topics. So your trolling is helping me.

I can't hold my bweath much longer - the thuspenth ith killing me! Will the MHKs/MLCs be able to cope with the shame of knowing that we don't love them? Will they be tewwibly hurt, do you think?

Ooopth- sowwy - must go - nurse has arrived with my medication...aaaaah!

How long MHKs have been in their seats, along with their performance at the polls will give a good indication of their ability and standing. Here's a bit of history for the Douglas MHKs:

Douglas South

David Cretney MHK, topped the poll at a bye election in 1985 and has topped the poll at 5 general elections ever since.

Bill Malarkey MHK, replaced long standing retiring member Adrian Duggan at the last General Election. He came in on a Liberal Vannin ticket but left the Party some time after.

Douglas East

Phil Braidwood MHK, gained seat at a bye election in 1995 and has topped the poll at each General Election.

Brenda Cannell MHK, at third attempt was successful in 1996 in beating sitting member Phil Kermode, and has been elected comfortably since.

Douglas North

John Houghton MHK, won seat from Bernie May in 1996 General Election.

Bill Henderson MHK, won by-election in 1998, also beating former MHK Bernie May.

Douglas West

John Shimmin MHK, won seat from James Cain in 1996, and has been comfortably re-elected ever since.

Geoff Corkish MHK, topped the poll at the last General Election replacing Dominic Delaney, who did not stand.

Interesting point Nipper, but how someone is viewed in their constituency does not translate to how they are viewed nationally. Tony Brown may be good at sorting out problems with houses on Janet's Corner, but that's irrelevent to someone in Peel who's going to base it on, say, whether he approves if TB's handling of the KSF affair. Alternatively there's MHKs who are relected comfortably each time but are virtually unknown to the wider Island - there's one mhk who has been in post over 10 years yet over 50% have no opinion on him.

A grey man, that's the way to do it. Whoever he is should easily walk into the Legislative Council where he will get £1000 a week for the next 5 years for doing not very much. Although I recommend the occasional sleepy shout of "hear, hear" to secure some more votes in the House of Keys for another 5 years.

Archived