Disc Jockey Mixing Software Majiggy

Cliff Hazard

Can anyone tell of a decent program for the above? Specifically, something that would let me upload from, say, an ipod or hard drive. I've got a copy of a

Ableton knocking about (allegedly), not sure if that's ok? Although it probably needs updating.

I'm willing to spend a few bones on it, rather that some crap, free application from somewhere or other.

cheers

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read an article about the pacemaker, it looks good but it had pictures of Richie Hawtin mincing around the club trying to look all arty whilst playing the tunes, and failing. Saying that, it's only really about what comes out of the speakers at the end of the day, isn't it.

I would say, Ableton, Tracktor or Serato are the ones of choice and probably in that order, if you're looking for what's most popular.

Most if not all have demos so are worth a try. I have Ableton lite which is so restricted down I can't decide if it's good or bad, although many seem to like and use it. I would personally only use it for final mix downs with remixes or perhaps digital mixes (non live), but each to their own. A lot of it's down to what you get on with and also what style of music you play, if turntablism is a factor then you need to consider something that uses control records such as Serato and I think Tracktor does also??

I have the Pacemaker and think it's a really nice piece of kit, it can be fiddly in places but only to be expected with something that has touch sensitive controls and so small. But having your entire library stored digitally for use at anytime and it being so portable, makes it just so powerful. I would say restrictive for urban/hiphop style, due to the control mechanism but other than that, perfect for other styles and more importantly a lot of fun.

thanks for all the info everyone. I'm having a look at all of them. I'm looking for something that works well just with my laptop, without the need for timecoded discs etc. - although I imagine it's probably a bit fiddly operating everything with a mouse?

thanks for all the info everyone. I'm having a look at all of them. I'm looking for something that works well just with my laptop, without the need for timecoded discs etc. - although I imagine it's probably a bit fiddly operating everything with a mouse?

It's not overly fiddly but it's no hardware replacement either. Which is why there's a whole host of external controllers on the market. It's mainly about having the storage and compactness of one machine doing the work, along with software upgrades rather than the cost of new hardware, although in some cases it becomes a little negligiable, as the software becomes more popular the price stays high. But software wins out just, due to the amount on offer for the cost.

Like I said a lot of it will depend on music and mixing style, along with what product you gel with and feel most productive with, which is why demo's are the best way forward to help make your decision.

I have the Pacemaker and think it's a really nice piece of kit, it can be fiddly in places but only to be expected with something that has touch sensitive controls and so small. But having your entire library stored digitally for use at anytime and it being so portable, makes it just so powerful. I would say restrictive for urban/hiphop style, due to the control mechanism but other than that, perfect for other styles and more importantly a lot of fun.

Hey Rich, nice to meet finally know someone else with a PMD!

Archived