Disc Jockey Mixing Software Majiggy

Cliff Hazard

It's a nice blend of hardware, with the upgradablility (firmware) and storage associated with laptop mixing.

I love mine and most of that is born out of having all my tracks to hand (albeit most are still on vinyl.............. not had time to digitize) and it has some nice modern touches such as analysing the tracks bpm before storing it and along with a nice graphical bmp display (not just the bpm numbers but a bar system). I like this because it still allows me to have the flexibility of beat matching manually without the system completely taking over, making it more of a tool than totally doing your job for you.

I have a thing about automixes.

Kaos, I'm very surprised our paths haven't crossed before, particularly during the early switched on days, but then I didn't and still don't get out on the club scene much anymore. I was more involved when I lived in Bristol. The island tends to drive most DJs and producers underground.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've just been looking a bit more in depth at the pacemaker, it does look really good. It's 400 noops but looks like it could be worth the investment. I'm seriously considering it.

cliff i'll echo what Rich say's about the device, it's a fantastic peice of kit. The ability to literally sit down and mix wherever you are is in my eyes just magical...got an idea for a mix, simple; sit down, find the tracks and see if they work. I don't leave the house without mine.

@Rich, you on the Pacemaker site? You got any mixes uploaded? I'm under the same moniker there as here...hit me up some time, we should go for a few beers! :D pass on any hints and tips

K: pm sent.

The main thing about the pacemaker above computer based mixing tools, is the lack of overhead with having a dedicated device. It's less likely to have a spazz fit. A laptop setup can be just as good, but to be stable enough would mean slimming it down and turning it to a dedicated machine in my opinion.

There's also the NextBeat DJ Console which is due out soon, to consider. Another interesting device, not as portable as the Pacemaker but offers some interesting features in a full size package and also would be more suited to what I would call urban/hiphop style mixing, due to its sampling abilities. It is also semi portable in that the mixing/deck console detaches from the main unit, so the main unit still must remain hooked up, but you can mix wirelessly to it.

Looks interesting, would be good to see it used in anger, demo I just looked at on Youtube, although it looked potentially very interesting, their musical choice was a little Jap nintendo for my tastes :).

Basically a pattern based sequencer, don't know if it can also trigger samples but I'm sure it probably does.

how bout one of these?

http://tenori-on.yamaha-europe.com/uk/

i may be treating myself to one in the new year!! :D

That's the one Little Boots uses isn't it?

Personally I've been looking at the KAOSSILATOR just to mess about on my brothers got one and says its a right good laugh and you can use it fully amped up or just on the train with headphones. http://www.korgkaossilator.com/

KAOSSILATOR.jpg

How about this for some weird shit!!!

traktor pro

traktor duo

serato

virtual dj

take ur pick i use traktor pro and for me it a very intuative programe

Traktor Pro for me as well

You using timecode vinyl or midi control with it?

Midi Control...

Also just have the standard software on my spare laptop with drag and drop from my external harddrive..

its been fun learning to mix again on the 3rd different format !!! (Vinyl, CD and Tractorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

8-)

Usin midi control too with the NI Maschine, best controller i've found for 4 deck control so far along with an external mixer for eq-ing. Traktors definately more fun than using ableton, I found it got a bit stale using that plus i love being able to see all 4 waveforms at once rather than jumping between channels all the time.

I started on virtual dj, im now on traktor. Traktor works much better, it feels more expensive and professional. It runs right off of ur lappy, but it would work better if yuo had a midi controller, I have a hercules rmx. You'll also be wanting a sound card/audio interface to get the sound out of ur lappy. You could use the headphone jack on the lappy, but thats only 1 stereo output, u'll be needing 2, one for headphone cueing, and one for audience pleasure.

The good thing about virtual dj is that the user interface shows the 2 tunes on top of each other so you can see the beats on top of each other, and if you find it hard mixing with ur ears, you can use ur eyes aswell. It is very good for beginers, but feels a bit tacky sometimes, it comes with some really useless samples, and the eqs are cheap sounding. Traktor doesnt show the waves on top of each other, but it is probably better once you know what is supposed to be happening. It feels more solid, and the eqs sound nice. It has better browsing, its more colourful and easier on the eyes, and it is more flexible (upto 4 decks, effect programming, customizable view).

Ableton is by far the best tho, but you really have to invest time and money to make it work for you. The tunees willl always be in time (provided uv set it up correctly), the effects and live jamming is just amazing. more verstile, but you dont see the waves on top of each other. It takes up more computer resourses aswell.

Im sure the Pacemaker is a really cool peice of equipment, but if ur playing a set at a party or club, then its gonna look a bit shit with someone standing there playing on a gameboy-esq thing.

I've not used anything else properly, have had a demo of serato, seemed lacking in features for me.

Now... a break-down of the hard ware that u'll want...

Any software can be controlled with just the mouse and keyboard but is very fucking annoying which is why everyone who laptop djs have at least 1 midi controller. A midi controller is a piece of hardware the comunicates with the software (usually via a usb cable) using the MIDI protocol (musical instrument digital interface). Midi is global, meaning any midi controller can control any midi software (in theory). The one i use most often is the RMX...http://www.pssl.com/images/ProdImage02/500/HERCULES-RMX.jpg...You can see it has 2 jog wheels for each deck, 3 volume faders, 2 pitch benders, crossfader...the works. You can get more elaborate but for £250, its just perfect. This is also an audio interface. It has 2 sterao inputs and 2 stereo outputs, this means i can connect 2 external sound sources, be it a microphone, ipod, cd decks, vinyl decks, or even a radio if you so wished. You might be able to tell, this is aimed at djs, rather than producers, but it can be used for automations. The reason that ull need an audio interface is to get the sound out of the computer. It is generally accepted that the internal sound card in any computer just isnt good enough, and a proper external one mut be used. There is another thing called timecode, for this you will need either a pair of vinyl decks or a pair of cd decks plus a box made by the chosen manufacturer. What happens is that (use vinyl for example) you get the special vinyl made by (eg): Traktor, and the box made by Traktor, and you plug the decks into the box, and plug the box into ur laptop. The box read the information on the vinyl as it is being played, and send this information to the computer. Sooooo when the turntable starts turning, the mp3s on ur computer start playing, when the turntable is pitched up or down, the mp3s are pitched up and down. You will still need either an external mixer, or midi device, however i dont think you will need an audio interface as the box has one built in.

When im using ableton, I use an Evolution UC33e and an M-audio trigger finger (both came from Monkey Magic) and the RMX. There is a lot more work involved in ableton, but the results are amazing.

Try the demos out before buying, coz it will really help. If you just want to mess around then the pacemaker is right for you, but if you want to actually look good and do some amazing sets, then software is the way to go.

Oh yeah...you can get the best of both worlds of traktor and ableton if you so wished. You can use the flexiblity of traktor with the effects and jamming of ableton. I wont go into it coz ud need to know the programs well...you can route the audio from each deck from traktor into 2, 3, or 4 track on ableton, the apply effects as you see fit.

Im sure the Pacemaker is a really cool peice of equipment, but if ur playing a set at a party or club, then its gonna look a bit shit with someone standing there playing on a gameboy-esq thing.

Same logic could be applied to a dork standing in front of a laptop. You'll never replace vinyl decks if you're looking for DJ interation, but a Pacemaker in a wireless environment could be entertaining with the right person and anciliary equipment such as kaos pads etc.

Same logic could be applied to a dork standing in front of a laptop. You'll never replace vinyl decks if you're looking for DJ interation, but a Pacemaker in a wireless environment could be entertaining with the right person and anciliary equipment such as kaos pads etc.

arrr the decks look ace .. but lumping them bloody 18 stone box of records around !!!! I will happily have CD and day

8-)

Archived