[BBC News] Islands' autonomy to be reviewed

Newsbot

Awaiting to be branded 'elitist' but regretably, the majority of our 'politicos' are not sufficiently educated to draft such a response.

A new motto is being proposed for Tynwald, "Whichever way you push me I'll bend over"

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I totally agree with john wright's post (21).

The Island's motto is after all : Quocunque Jeceris Stabit.

The Manx are historically adaptable, the early suffrage of women was apparently because of a lot of the men of the Island were away at sea for one reason or another (fishing, merchant navy etc).

I hope our MHK's adapt or even proffit the Island from this new challenge.

well thanks

but the IOM votes for women was based on sonething totally different

In 1871 it was not one person one vote but voting was based on property ownership.

In UK women could not own property themselves. Votes attached to property ownership so no votes to women

In IOM historically they had been able to own in their own right separaetly from their husbands

So it was a property owners democracy not man or woman vote but an I own property of such a value or more vote and with votes for each property!!!

Surely it would have been expedient for women to have property rights if the men were away from the Island fishing etc, leaving them in control of the property.

A mature and robust response, pity we couldn't expect something similar from the locally bred politicos. Some times you do just have to say, politely and in a well-crafted way, f off. Very often, the demeanour of our senior politicians to these broadsides from the UK just perpetuate the myth that our autonomy is almost a grace and favour thing. I don't believe it is and it is time IOMG stood up for itself and showed itself, truly, as a player on the international stage not just by being pushed around by the main players, but standing shoulder to shoulder with them and defending its own position. Some times we seem to behave with no more self assertion than an Eton fag.

What the Isle of Man needs is smart, independently minded politicians. This guy has shown some leadership - which is more than can be said for the rest of them.

A good reply to a political virtual non-entity. I wonder if any of the others are shuffling around in their seats in embarrassment that someone has dared to say something rude to an English peer? Surely we should all be touching our forelocks to a Lord.

He's not a real lord, though.

Just a time-server.

S

A good reply to a political virtual non-entity. I wonder if any of the others are shuffling around in their seats in embarrassment that someone has dared to say something rude to an English peer? Surely we should all be touching our forelocks to a Lord.

He's not a real lord, though.

Just a time-server. S

But to other time servers and wannabes he will look like a real one.

There is a good article on this situation in Guernsey:

Self governance is our ancient and inalienable right

Maybe at a cost we could overcome the more obvious problems such as consular representation, passport services, guaranteed access to tertiary health care, fisheries protection and so on. My concern is more about how it would affect our main industry and our hard-earned reputation as a trusted jurisdiction to handle clients’ assets.

and

To those considering using Guernsey’s financial services, our current status must seem ideal. We are self governing, stable and free from UK party politics. At the same time, the ability of the Privy Council to intervene if we ever went totally off the rails and to restore good government is a comfort to both locals and those who do business with us.

It’s true that lately the Privy Council is taking rather too broad an interpretation of good governance. It’s a concept which should be invoked only in the very unlikely circumstances of the States going really haywire and infringing basic human rights or something similar. It shouldn’t be used to object to policies they simply disagree with or when Guernsey’s legitimate self interest is different to that of the UK.

This autonomy issue needs to be dealt with for once and for all.

Summon the orcs of peel.

All true sons of Mann ready your boats.

Let the fleet sail against the Brown King.

We shall raze their lands till we gain the capital and slay Brown and his nobles.

We will fill our boats with their cattle and gold and leave their land in fire and their people in lamentation.

(Departure of battle fleet at dawn subject to weather conditions. Bring packed lunch and flask, no onboard catering. Under 18s please bring note from parents allowing participation in combat. All warriors must have third party insurance and are reminded of their obligations under the relevant Health and Safety legislation.)

From today's Gaurdian:

Bankruptcy threat brings new concept to the Cayman Islands … taxes

The leader of government business, William McKeeva Bush, begged the British government to borrow $310m (£190m) from banks. In a strongly worded response, Chris Bryant, a junior Foreign Office minister, has demanded the Caymans cut its borrowing and debt. And in a shockwave that will send tremors through the island's financial elite, Bryant even suggested that the tax haven introduce taxes.

Interesting that the UK Government don't want to impose direct rule to resolve this situation of poor governance.

Archived