[BBC News] Support needed for new Manx guide

Newsbot

Because newsbot is f**ing lazy, you can view the actual document they are reporting about here: http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/cso/2009keyfacts.pdf

Personally I think it's of average design and wouldn't send it out to off-island clients. The content is okay and valid, but IMO they missed a trick here not giving it a bit of visual oomph!

It's the jaunty polaroid motif that ruins it for me, that's the image equivalent of typing everything in comic sans.

I spotted a typo hehe

Leading the world in the signing of Tax Information Exchange Agreements (TIEA’s)

There's that aberrant apostrophe again! Oops!

It's the jaunty polaroid motif that ruins it for me, that's the image equivalent of typing everything in comic sans.

I spotted a typo hehe

Leading the world in the signing of Tax Information Exchange Agreements (TIEA's)

There's that aberrant apostrophe again! Oops!

Yes, yes, it's true! I am a Grammar Nazi. BUT...I do think if the Manx Government are paying some PR firm a fortune to produce that boomph then at least they should ensure it's proofread before going to the printers......

May I suggest "bumph"............if that's OK with you?

Boomph is the original Swedish spelling of the word. Boomph is the shortened form of Boompheten meaning a pile of shit useful only for lighting the fire with. In general English usage this has become bumph. So yeah, it's ok with me, skitstövel

Are you making that up? I was led to believe it was an shortened English slang term from the war for paper derived from Bum Fodder (toilet roll). I doubt we'd use any sort of Swedish translation, okay with you?

"Chief Minister Tony Brown said: "The key facts guide provides a snapshot of the Isle of Man and its positive contribution to the global economy.

"The island's independent spirit, enterprise and innovation have made it a leading international business centre and I would urge local organisations to spread that message by sending copies of the guide to their key contacts." "

Was it the positive contribution to the global economy?

What community organisations is Brown referring to?

Because newsbot is f**ing lazy, you can view the actual document they are reporting about here: http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/cso/2009keyfacts.pdf

Personally I think it's of average design and wouldn't send it out to off-island clients. The content is okay and valid, but IMO they missed a trick here not giving it a bit of visual oomph!

Visual Oomph? Oh it has that alright! The first thing that hit me was the massive fuck-off picture of the Three Legs and the document is littered with them. Definitely the Isle of Man!

(Edited to add: I don't like one thing about it, there is some reference to people on the Island having a 'can-do' attitude to business and life. What is that about? I have come across that awful, cheesey, double-speak in customer service but it should really stay there.)

The Island was among the first countries to

give women the vote in 1881.

Thay is to say, property owning women.

The Isle of Man was also the first country in

Western Europe to allow 16 and 17 year olds

to vote in national elections

I can't help feeling that this was a gimmick, designed for such propaganda. Few if not anyone at all were asking for 16 and 17 year olds to be given the vote, least of all young people or indeed their parents or school teachers.

I do wonder who this leaflet is aimed at. The more attention we bring on ourselves the er, more attention we bring on ourselves. Shouting from the roof tops about how wonderful you think you are is not always a good strategy.

Yes, yes, it's true! I am a Grammar Nazi. BUT...I do think if the Manx Govern......etc.

A true Grammar Nazi would not start a sentence with a conjunction.

My understanding was that this rule was basically something they teach in school to stop bitty sentences. But it isn't bad english. Same with split infinitives.

Archived