Creamery Fresh Milk ?

fergie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It worried me though that the 'fresh' cows' milk there tasted fresh after 2 weeks in the refrigerator - never worked out what wonder chemical it was..

Sainsburies in South east England sells 'ultra filtered' milk that has a shelf life of about 3 to 4 weeks - it tastes fine to me (unlike UHT which reminds me of the 'sterilized' milk of my childhood which I disliked (only exceeded in nastiness by the heat treated milk produced in India some 30 years ago when I taught there) - it does last well unopened and seems to last longer even when opened

What is creamery fresh milk all about ?

I purchased a pint of Isle of Man Creamery milk on Thursday14/08 that shows a use by date of 21/8 (7 days )

how can this be described as "fresh" ?????

When was this actually collected "fresh" from the cow ?

Does not sound fresh to me

that just proves how fresh it is that it has a good shelf life

Fresh milk would ideally be filtered and chilled and then bottled.

Modern milk is collected in bulk, heated (pasteurised), centrifuged to remove the cream, microfiltered to remove any organisms (including the 'good' ones) and then the cream is put back in and blended. Notice how cream doesn't rise to the top any more? We used to fight over fresh milk when I was a kid to get the creamy bit.

Real milk has lots of healthy properties - the stuff we buy has been so processed that few if any remain - all in the name of preventing the spread of brucellosis. We'd be better off monitoring the dairy cattle than messing around with what they produce.

Modern milk is collected in bulk, heated (pasteurised), centrifuged to remove the cream, microfiltered to remove any organisms (including the 'good' ones) and then the cream is put back in and blended. Notice how cream doesn't rise to the top any more? We used to fight over fresh milk when I was a kid to get the creamy bit.

Real milk has lots of healthy properties - the stuff we buy has been so processed that few if any remain - all in the name of preventing the spread of brucellosis. We'd be better off monitoring the dairy cattle than messing around with what they produce.

and to extend the shelf life,

one thing for sure, milk stright out of the tank is the best milk u will ever taste

Real milk has lots of healthy properties - the stuff we buy has been so processed that few if any remain - all in the name of preventing the spread of brucellosis. We'd be better off monitoring the dairy cattle than messing round with what they produce.

thanks stu, that was the message I was trying to get across.

thanks stu, that was the message I was trying to get across.

No it's not! You were complaining about time the milk is on the shelf - you didn't mention anything about the way it is treated.

What is creamery fresh milk all about ?

I purchased a pint of Isle of Man Creamery milk on Thursday14/08 that shows a use by date of 21/8 (7 days )

how can this be described as "fresh" ?????

When was this actually collected "fresh" from the cow ?

Does not sound fresh to me

Stu, I agree that milk fresh from a cow tastes much better, stronger anyway, but it isn't practical for selling in shops because it has a much shorter shelf-life , which pasteurisation and homogenisation increases. Shorter shelf-life would mean more milk getting wasted.

True - but I'd happily go back to the 'old fashioned' concept of a daily fresh milk delivery.

When I (sorry) was 16 I worked on a farm at the weekends - milk from cow via chiller and filter into bottles, delivered daily and put in the fridge. Simples. I don't need milk that lasts a week.

What health properties? Do you mean a nutritional content? I only ask because there seems to a lot of claims that milk isn't beneficial for one's health. I don't know the quality of research that has been done however.

Slightly hungover a pint of ice cold nice cold manx milk can't be beaten.

UK milk doesn't relieve it anywhere nearly as well.

Manx milk (not from shoprite- i don't know what they do with it!) is the best!!

Archived