KSF Megathread 2

nipper

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're learning.

A wise man learns from the mistakes of others. A fool by his own.

I am sure you are right .

There will be plenty of wise men who won't touch the IOM banks with a barge pole.

Yet no major financial centres have closed down in the IOM. Must be all those wise men not listening to butt-sore bad investors such as yourself.

I bank my depleted funds in a variety of places now.

My favorite is a hole in the back yard - right under the Rottweiler's kennel.

Wow I really think you need to sack your financial advisor if this is the sort of advice he is giving you.

Or listen to the IOM when they say its a safe place to put your money while your regulator says banks should be allowed to fail............

Two countries that I consider safe to bank in today are Canada and Australia.

Good choices, but probably in the other order.

I bank my depleted funds in a variety of places now.

My favorite is a hole in the back yard - right under the Rottweiler's kennel.

Wow I really think you need to sack your financial advisor if this is the sort of advice he is giving you.

Or listen to the IOM when they say its a safe place to put your money while your regulator says banks should be allowed to fail............

It is "reasonably" safe to put your money in any financial establishment whether in the IOM or anywhere else. Not 100% safe like every banking establishment in the world.

But you already knew that right? (/sarcasm)

Kaupthing depositors submit £346,000 claim

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Kaupthing-depositors-submit-346000-claim.6437502.jp

A CLAIM for £346,000 has been submitted by the Kaupthing Depositors' Action Group for the legal costs of challenging a Manx Government rescue plan.

But following a high court ruling last summer, the payout will come from the liquidation of Kaupthing Singer and Friedlander (IoM) – meaning less will be available to distribute to all creditors.

DAG has sought costs from Manx taxpayers after a so-called scheme of arrangement was rejected in a ballot of creditors.

More than £1.7m of taxpayers' cash was spent on the ill-fated scheme which had been proposed by government as an alternative to the bank's liquidation.

Two countries that I consider safe to bank in today are Canada and Australia.

I saw this

Canada Bank link

Are they safe? They probably are but if real estate plummets, then this could cause some big headaches if the article is to be believed.

I did note the following (Quote from the same article)

That doesn’t mean that Canada has a spotless banking history. For its last significant bank failure, one need only look back to 1985 when the 10th and 11th largest banks by assets - the Canadian Commercial Bank (CCB) and its smaller cousin the Northland Bank - went broke. Both banks exhibited some of the same features as today’s Sanderson State Bank.[/Quote]Australia Bank link

Another Oz link

So even Canada and Australia have their fair share of problems too.

Kaupthing depositors submit £346,000 claim

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Kaupthing-depositors-submit-346000-claim.6437502.jp

A CLAIM for £346,000 has been submitted by the Kaupthing Depositors' Action Group for the legal costs of challenging a Manx Government rescue plan.

But following a high court ruling last summer, the payout will come from the liquidation of Kaupthing Singer and Friedlander (IoM) – meaning less will be available to distribute to all creditors.

DAG has sought costs from Manx taxpayers after a so-called scheme of arrangement was rejected in a ballot of creditors.

More than £1.7m of taxpayers' cash was spent on the ill-fated scheme which had been proposed by government as an alternative to the bank's liquidation.

The fact is the depositors had to defend themselves against this SOA which was detrimental to most of them.

In doing so incurred costs from lawyers.

The Deemster awarded them costs but not against the IOMT .

The costs had to come from the proceeds of liquidation.

So basically the IOMG tried to foist an unsatisfactory SOA that no one wanted on the depositors to save invoking the DCS

And then made them pay for defending themselves.

Heaven forbid the IOMG would want to keep its tax payers money for...oh I don't know...maybe spending on IOM taxpater perhaps?

One of the depositors with KSFIOM was the Isle of Man Hospice.

They had one million pounds on deposit.

No doubt the people they serve had been taxpayers at one time in their lives.

• 4 weeks later...

Heaven forbid the IOMG would want to keep its tax payers money for...oh I don't know...maybe spending on IOM taxpater perhaps?

One of the depositors with KSFIOM was the Isle of Man Hospice.

They had one million pounds on deposit.

No doubt the people they serve had been taxpayers at one time in their lives.

I would like say that there are Manx depositors who have died since this debacle .

I think the loss of their life savings hastened many depositors to an early grave something that the politicians could have avoided.

Archived