Horse Tram Commentaries

Terse

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I despair, heard Pitts on the skwarkbox, funny he ain't.

Spend 10k on consultation.

Spend 25k on installing electrics and speakers to every tram.

Spend 10k on therapy for the horses because they have started 'hearing voices'.

All paid for out of the 25k saved by collecting the horseshit at point of delivery.

Cost = 20k

Why not just employ someone that can speak English at the same time as hanging off a bar at the front of the tram looking sullen. Include it in the contract of the operators of the trams, maybe expect them to answer questions as well using a remote mic and amp run on batteries?

Cost = 0.

Now which is the likeliest result of the idea?

(Pitts said it costs 50k to clear the horseshit up every year, I'll do it for 25k)

I truly do despair sometimes.

I totally agree with you, I can see no reason why the guy on the tram doing the conducting can not say a few words etc.... or is it just not in their job description.

I totally agree with you, I can see no reason why the guy on the tram doing the conducting can not say a few words etc.... or is it just not in their job description.

Well they're paid to drive the trams, not be tour guides. It's not as easy as just standing up and reading from a script. (you'd be better with a recording than that) You have to know what you're talking about, make it sound interesting, and be able to engage with the passengers. Talking all day (especially over the traffic and noise of the promenade) also makes your throat sore so guides can only do stints of a few hours before they need a rest (unless they're women in which case it comes naturally).

Well they're paid to drive the trams, not be tour guides. It's not as easy as just standing up and reading from a script. (you'd be better with a recording than that) You have to know what you're talking about, make it sound interesting, and be able to engage with the passengers. Talking all day (especially over the traffic and noise of the promenade) also makes your throat sore so guides can only do stints of a few hours before they need a rest (unless they're women in which case it comes naturally).

There are two members of staff per tram.

The conductor could easily talk for some off the journey.

You missed my point which is that you haven't hired tour guides, you've hired tram drivers. If you want to cheap out and have tram drivers reading disinterestedly from a peice of paper then go for it, but you might as well have a recording in that case. If you want good, knowledgable, friendly guides which are really the only ones worth having, then you'll have to pay for them.

You missed my point which is that you haven't hired tour guides, you've hired tram drivers. If you want to cheap out and have tram drivers reading disinterestedly from a peice of paper then go for it, but you might as well have a recording in that case. If you want good, knowledgable, friendly guides which are really the only ones worth having, then you'll have to pay for them.

And hire from off island. :P

Employ conductors who are charismatic for goodness sakes and give them plenty of throat sweets.

Just because they are a tram conductor doesnt mean they cant be interesting and enthusiastic

Some of the bus conductors I knew as a child could talk and shout all day with no apparent ill effects.

Went up Snaefell recently on MER with some friends. The conductor gave an excellent commentary. Employ the right people and it works.

I really don't think so, the situation to me sounds very different.

Let's face it. Douglas prom is dull and what interesting history there is of Douglas has little that can be seen today. A commentary is just a ridiculous idea. Someone the MER could give a bit of the history in reference to Laxey wheel, the history of the MER, etc.

What could be written up about Douglas Prom?

There's certainly enough history and stuff of general interest to fill the 20 minute or so journey along the prom.

The tower of refuge, lifeboats, the running trade, steam packet, ellan vannin sinking, loss of the herring fleet, tourism history, funicular railways, electric trams, horse trams themselves, gaiety theatre, villa marine, jubilee clock, geology of the cliff, internment, dawsey kewley, lots more stuff i can't think of at the moment...

I'm confused why its only recently become an issue - surely the actual experience is being on the horse-tram and cruising across the prom - perhaps improved by having friendly staff. I could see some value in something visual to point out the sites along the way (e.g. poster, leaflet, booklet) which could double up as a general tourist guide. The horse-trams are what they are.

The tram drivers really do look so bored.

I am sure they would enjoy their jobs so much more if they were encouraged to chat to the passengers, a recorded commentary wouldn't need to be prepared as it would evolve with each conductor/driver.

I've been on these sort of things in various places around the world and you usually can't get the drivers to stfu.

Archived