Ham Sandwiches 'too Dangerous For Children'

Terse

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just when you think stupidity has reached its peak, it surpasses itself.

It really is an art form.

Do you think the health advice is stupid? I mean it is well known that red meat isn't one of the best things you can eat, and they refer more to processed meats. All they are saying is that it is better to limit intake. I thought it was quite concerning what was in the news a year back about the nitrite content in packaged meats and how it can an affect on the pulmonary system. Though it was one study they made.

Do you think the health advice is stupid? I mean it is well known that red meat isn't one of the best things you can eat, and they refer more to processed meats. All they are saying is that it is better to limit intake. I thought it was quite concerning what was in the news a year back about the nitrite content in packaged meats and how it can an affect on the pulmonary system. Though it was one study they made.

I agree, I don't think it's stupid at all. Cancer rates have risen alarmingly, particularly in the poorer households and processed foods look like they're playing a part. It's sound advice to moderate the consumption.

I agree, I don't think it's stupid at all. Cancer rates have risen alarmingly, particularly in the poorer households and processed foods look like they're playing a part. It's sound advice to moderate the consumption.

I heard someone from the charity recommending on the BBC this morning that parents should substitute ham with hummous. Couldn't help feeling that she sounded a bit 'middle class' in her advice. Somehow I can't enviseage a rush on hummous and tzatziki for kids' sandwiches in the local supermarkets. And for goodness sake don't replace ham with cheese...

I hope the parents take a good look at the labelling before they buy the replacement dip in case the commercial versions also have additives and preservatives - which seems to be one of the big problems.

Oliver Cromwell may have been right when he said 'moderation in all things'.

PS: I liked the fact that the article on the website recommended chicken and fish - I am really concerned about both the way some chickens are fed chemicals to minimise disease in battery farms, and the way they use chemicals to colour up farmed fish just prior to sale.

I seem to remember some fuss over thirty five years ago on chemical additions, predominately nitrates, in corned beef. I believe the US FDA did some research early 70s and concluded that it showed no evidence of carcinogenesis. Although nitrosamines are a potential hazard to human health.

Archived