Ham Sandwiches 'too Dangerous For Children'

Terse

It's fish consumption that is pretty awkward. On the one hand you have the oils which are a requirement (though you can get them from other sources) and then you have the mercury levels. Tuna is another food that you should limit to small amounts per week. But then who would even want to ingest mercury at all?

I believe this particular problem (heavy metals ) is fairly well recognised now in Japan which has a high level of consumption .

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's fish consumption that is pretty awkward. On the one hand you have the oils which are a requirement (though you can get them from other sources) and then you have the mercury levels. Tuna is another food that you should limit to small amounts per week. But then who would even want to ingest mercury at all?

I believe this particular problem (heavy metals ) is fairly well recognised now in Japan which has a high level of consumption .

Japanese eat approximately 1/3rd of the world's fish catch - and they have one of the longest life expectancies.

Japanese eat approximately 1/3rd of the world's fish catch - and they have one of the longest life expectancies.

Can't argue with science!

(except, that sort of generalist crap above is bollocks. They may suffer health issues because of the heavy metals \m/ but the issues are mitigated by, for example, overall low fat and processed meat consumption so they end up with better health overall)

That's nothing like Edwena making a rash statement which turned out to be out of her arse on a telly interview

IIRC Edwina Curry was basically stating facts when she said (something like) that most British egg production was potentially affected by salmonella. The point she was making IIRC is that some people have to be careful when eating raw eggs. Given that eggs cannot be (some equivalent of) pasteurized I doubt the situation has changed much.*

I'd still rather eat raw eggs even with the salmonella risk than much of the expensive processed frozen rubbish which some people still feed their families.

*ETA: oh .. Google says that 'Lion Mark' eggs since the late 1990s come from hens which are now vaccinated against salmonella

IIRC as a result of curries gob, if I wanted to sell any eggs from my 'flock' ( Max ever was 20 ex battery chickens who when rescued wouldn't come out of the coup for upto a week because they'd never seen the sun or real grass and didn't know how to wander about in the open and scatch and forage ) I was required to periodically have ten percent slaughtered and sent away for swabbing and other tests.

I declined.

They lived out their lives happily, in the open, eating corn and whatever they scratched up naturally and the few people who would come and buy the odd box of surplus eggs were deprived of the chance.

ETA I think the 'fee was about just under 30 quid - mid/late 80s.

Still I expect lots of people lived because they didn't eat my few eggs [/sarcasm]

I often wonder how I have survived, having drunk milk fresh from a cow, reared and eaten my own pork, lamb, beef, duck and chickens.

Hard work at the time as a hobby but well worth it for the end product.

They lived out their lives happily, in the open, eating corn and whatever they scratched up naturally

Eggs from birds which eat corn, and bits of what ever they find are always much nicer than eggs from hens which are fed on industrial feeds. Best eggs I've eaten come from birds which quite often scratch around in horse shit :)

Given that eggs cannot be (some equivalent of) pasteurized I doubt the situation has changed much.
But what about the readily available pasteurized eggs?

My ignorance. Hands up etc.

I did not know that a process had been introduced. Are pasteurized eggs readily available in the UK or anywhere outside the US? I read yesterday that industrial / factory farmed UK eggs comes from vaccinated hens.

Often the wartime ration diet is held up as an example of a healthy diet, anyway i seem to remember seeing it in press, but was their diet that pc by todays standards?.

To some degree our generation carried on the wartime diet, mainly because of cost.

So we ate mucho offal, offal products like brawn and faggots, cheap fatty cuts of meat, mince,spam, luncheon meat, tripe etc. Corned beef and ham was cheap and plentiful as was was bacon with saltpetre.

Unlike today, veggies and fruit were seasonal, root veggies, flavoured with buttter were a standard. Full fat milk, cheap butter and marge and of course the famous "chippy tea".

Seems like another world now, no lambs testicles for brekky these days.

Archived