[BBC News] Marshals are sought for Manx GP

Newsbot

The initial few TT races might have been viewed as important to the development of bikes but certainly post WW1 it was seen as a mechanism to extend the season by appealing to another group of the Northern working class that had become the staple of the Island's tourist drive - motorbikes became affordable to the family man during the 20's and early 30's - as during that period the Island's income was predominantly from tourism most, if not all, locals were willing to put up with quite a bit as their livelihoods usually depended on it - as from the 60's general 'bucket & spade' tourism declined quickly, the TT (and possibly the MGP) were seen, I've often been told, as bringing the Island back to the summer activity they had grown up with - that generation is now passing and especially with the significant number of new residents from the 70's onwards I suspect fewer are willing to suffer the significant disturbances when they will see little benefit - eg the MGP could be cancelled with virtually no effect on the Island's finances.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sadly it is not a lack of marshals as a whole but marshals at specific locations

not many people wish to stand on the mountin in the cold but you can't move for the "orange army" down at parliament square or wherever

I hate that orange army slogan as well... power crazy orange tabard wearing cunts most of them

What if they were paid? Would you get more people then? Could you have an agency of marshals that travelled the British Isles marshalling various events?

But it is not only Marshalls that are in short supply. They had to amend the entery requirements this year to allow TT riders enter certain classes or under certain conditions to ensure they had a reasonably full grid. And why they have more newcomers than for a while if they are struggling for numbers both in terms of marshalls and riders it does not give the best of indications for the future.

- that generation is now passing and especially with the significant number of new residents from the 70's onwards I suspect fewer are willing to suffer the significant disturbances when they will see little benefit - eg the MGP could be cancelled with virtually no effect on the Island's finances.

I see the logic of your explanation all too well Frances...but so too could be said of the horse and electric trams and many other island things too. Hey, why not build houses on King Orry's grave? ...after all he's a relic from the past and doesn't need it anymore.

Not wishing to divert the thread here, but in response to the 'significant number of new residents' you brought up, I think you'll find most countries give little credence to; and it has to be said; a bunch of predominately UK immigrants wanting to change that country to e.g. little England, just as the English and Scots etc. don't want their home of birth changed.

There'll be the biggest fight in the islands history if stopping the racing even comes onto the agenda IMO - as an attack on the MGP would certainly be seen as an imminent attack on the TT. I think many people will be surprised how much it would wake the island up, likely be seen as a major symbol of 'enough is enough' - and might even start something much bigger in terms of how islanders start to understand the impact of immigration on their culture. Many see the racing as a major element of our heritage and uniqueness - and an attack on it, would be seen as being just as outrageous as suggesting putting down all Manx cats.

There'll be the biggest fight in the islands history if stopping the racing even comes onto the agenda IMO - as an attack on the MGP would certainly be seen as an imminent attack on the TT. I think many people will be surprised how much it would wake the island up, likely be seen as a major symbol of 'enough is enough' - and might even start something much bigger in terms of how islanders start to understand the impact of immigration on their culture. Many see the racing as a major element of our heritage and uniqueness - and an attack on it, would be seen as being just as outrageous as suggesting putting down all Manx cats.

Albert, I have to disagree. Although I would not like to see the demise of either event, people know the Isle of Man for the TT (and yes the cats). I have yet to hear anyone say "Oh the Isle of Man- that's where the MGP is held isn't it? "

Even locally people don't anticipate the arrival of the MGP anything like they do with the TT (be that in a positive or negative way). From my perspective it comes and goes largely unheralded (traffic disruption aside)

I would like to see the MGP carry on but if it were to be discontinued I can't forsee the civil unrest that you forecast.

I prefer the MGP... love the smell of the older bikes

I agree with Albert that if the MGP goes it is the thin end of the wedge to the TT going... arguably the thin end of the wedge was the loss of the world championships and we are currently bent over and taking the middle of said wedge

However I can't see the population rising up to defend the MGP mainly because there are too many people who see it as an inconvenience to their lives

..but so too could be said of the horse and electric trams and many other island things too. Hey, why not build houses on King Orry's grave? ...after all he's a relic from the past and doesn't need it anymore.

maybe you were away when it appeared most on this board (as we all know a totally representive fraction of the population ) seemed very happy to kill of the horse trams - the electric trams I suspect cause little disturbance to most if not all tho the repair costs do seem significant - and btw there is a house built on King Orry's grave and even a road across the middle thereof!

The TT was initially allowed for the benefit of the English car enthusiasts and allowed at the whim of the most English of dictatorial governors!

Many see the racing as a major element of our heritage and uniqueness - and an attack on it, would be seen as being just as outrageous as suggesting putting down all Manx cats.

Two things.

One, it's hardly unique. Ulster Grand Prix? NW 200? Macau... etc.

Second, I'm reliably informed that Manx Cats are suffering from a form of spina bifida - that their condition is an illness, not a breed, and their existence is as much a cruelty as some of the idiotic breeding requirements of the Kennel Club, which have alredy been (very properly IMO) criticised in another thread on here

People are, in general terms, far more selfish, lazy, apathetic, and tend to give little to their community these days. Therein lies the real truth IMO. Many people see that the island was very different in that respect years ago, as was the UK 40 years ago. The difference with the island and the UK though was that it took an additional 20 years to happen here - that 20 years difference being why many from the UK wanted to settle here, and still do (wrt UK). You can't have your cake and eat it - and more people need to realise this IMO and put something into keeping those aspects of the island as they were.

I think you're right generally, I know many sporting events are struggling to meet H&S demands through volunteer marshals. Seems to be the insurance companies that are behind most of this, perhaps they should be lobbied to reduce requirements?

Why should people be held to ransom? Especially those unable to leave their homes while practicing/racing is on?

Ransom: To attempt to force (a person) to do something.

Come on now, which came first, the TT/MGP or their house purchase?

People have been living in houses for centuries.

The TT has been going (on and off) for just a 100 years. The MGP for around 80

Exactly. So every single person who complains about being "blocked in" to their house during TT and MGP can't say that they bought/rented the house without knowing that during TT and MGP there may be a bit of inconveniance.

- that generation is now passing and especially with the significant number of new residents from the 70's onwards I suspect fewer are willing to suffer the significant disturbances when they will see little benefit - eg the MGP could be cancelled with virtually no effect on the Island's finances.

I see the logic of your explanation all too well Frances...but so too could be said of the horse and electric trams and many other island things too. Hey, why not build houses on King Orry's grave? ...after all he's a relic from the past and doesn't need it anymore.

Not wishing to divert the thread here, but in response to the 'significant number of new residents' you brought up, I think you'll find most countries give little credence to; and it has to be said; a bunch of predominately UK immigrants wanting to change that country to e.g. little England, just as the English and Scots etc. don't want their home of birth changed.

Maybe those who are prepared to fight should don their 'orange jackets' now and carry the battle to the masses and show their support for road racing in the Island by getting up onto the Mountain in cold, wet weather.

Plus that'll be the same angry mob who showed their displeasure at the cancellation of the 2001 TT.

Exactly. So every single person who complains about being "blocked in" to their house during TT and MGP can't say that they bought/rented the house without knowing that during TT and MGP there may be a bit of inconveniance.

If the event was beneficial to the Island then maybe but when it isn't then they have every right to complain. The same as you have the right to post your opinions on this forum. If everyone took your attitude then no-one would every get anywhere.

Archived