[BBC News] Marshals are sought for Manx GP

Newsbot

There'll be the biggest fight in the islands history if stopping the racing even comes onto the agenda IMO - as an attack on the MGP would certainly be seen as an imminent attack on the TT. I think many people will be surprised how much it would wake the island up, likely be seen as a major symbol of 'enough is enough' - and might even start something much bigger in terms of how islanders start to understand the impact of immigration on their culture. Many see the racing as a major element of our heritage and uniqueness - and an attack on it, would be seen as being just as outrageous as suggesting putting down all Manx cats.

There'll be a lot of shouting from the pro-TT third of the population, and it'll probably be irrational bluster and counter-productive. There'll be a reasoned case put forward by anti-TT third that might win the day. Everyone else will be bored

How the neutral third jump relies on how well the next few TT and MGP's are organised. If it is a broadly positive experience for non-bike fans (pleasant atmosphere, the odd interesting event, and inconvenience kept to a minimum) I doubt the issue will even get on the agenda but carry on as it has since the centenary debacle and patience will run out.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There'll be the biggest fight in the islands history if stopping the racing even comes onto the agenda IMO

Presumably a better result than Sky Hill would be desirable then.

I prefer the MGP... love the smell of the older bikes

I agree with Albert that if the MGP goes it is the thin end of the wedge to the TT going... arguably the thin end of the wedge was the loss of the world championships and we are currently bent over and taking the middle of said wedge

However I can't see the population rising up to defend the MGP mainly because there are too many people who see it as an inconvenience to their lives

Fixed to read

However I can't see the population rising up to defend the MGP mainly because the majority see it as an inconvenience to their lives

:angry:

If a lowly marshall gets killed whilst performing his or her voluntary duties, does their family receive a compensation payout and if so how much? And what about for serious injuries? After all, it would be very irresponsible to volunteer if that wasn't the case.

I think for last few years about 1 marshall is killed or seriously injured every other year on average - I'd also suggest that they double check their personal insurance policies as some exclude injuries etc whilst taking part in dangerous sports though I think there is group policy that covers the TT etc (but I have no details of the payouts)

I don't get it. The very real risk of death or serious injury. No wages. The possibility of a lawsuit for making a mistake. Tinnitus. The stigma attached to the likes of me recognising your gullibility. Plus the possible post traumatic stress of witnessing a dying bike racer breathing his last minus a limb or two. All so some tightarses can milk a couple of quid out of some manky Homestay rooms or dodgy burgers. Other than non local volunteers getting a slight travel discount to come and get closer to their "heroes", is there actually a plus side?

I prefer the MGP... love the smell of the older bikes

I agree with Albert that if the MGP goes it is the thin end of the wedge to the TT going... arguably the thin end of the wedge was the loss of the world championships and we are currently bent over and taking the middle of said wedge

However I can't see the population rising up to defend the MGP mainly because there are too many people who see it as an inconvenience to their lives

Fixed to read

However I can't see the population rising up to defend the MGP mainly because the majority see it as an inconvenience to their lives

:angry:

do it properly or don't do it

What utter shit Frances.

sorry but I know of at least one death + three serious injuries since about 2003 - are there statistics available as I was going from personal knowledge

2 accidents I assume - the Kirk Michael and 26th Milestone ones

How about the previous 20 or so years?

I don't get it. The very real risk of death or serious injury. No wages. The possibility of a lawsuit for making a mistake. Tinnitus. The stigma attached to the likes of me recognising your gullibility. Plus the possible post traumatic stress of witnessing a dying bike racer breathing his last minus a limb or two. All so some tightarses can milk a couple of quid out of some manky Homestay rooms or dodgy burgers. Other than non local volunteers getting a slight travel discount to come and get closer to their "heroes", is there actually a plus side?

It gets them out of the house.

the 4th was this year - hower I have no knowledge of previous years which is why I was careful to say last few years as that was about as far back as I could remember though I think there may have been another marshal injured in addition to those within that timeframe (+ one I think died of a heart attack at scene of a crash but can't recall when)

the 4th was this year - hower I have no knowledge of previous years which is why I was careful to say last few years as that was about as far back as I could remember though I think there may have been another marshal injured in addition to those within that timeframe (+ one I think died of a heart attack at scene of a crash but can't recall when)

Sorry to spoil your little story but only two officials have ever been killed at the races on the IOM

Facts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Snaef...fatal_accidents

Archived